theksmith

August 2020 COVID Cabin Fever Relief / Family Vacation in Mammoth Lakes, CA

we made the last minute decision to get out of town for a little change of scenery before Brady got too far into the new school year... so we headed off to Mammoth Lakes, CA for a week.

Friday

it took us nearly 10 hours to drive from Phoenix through the Vegas route, but we were rewarded with the much cooler weather due to the nearly 8k feet elevation, some great 4x4 trails in the nearby Inyo National Forest, and plenty of natural wonders to see!

ACtC-3fvOKvOBrpV6dXaznnXXqWeFvZsABA9dqZp

we stayed in a little condo rental in The Village Lodge Mammoth - which was convenient because there's a whole slew of restaurants, bars, and shops in an outdoor mall style arrangement. 

ACtC-3dUpG1DBOBfL1L7hhH7-QnLwG7px6_OxL7a

most of the area restaurants were open for outdoor dining. one of our favorites was Shelter Distilling - their Black Unicorn Coffee Liquor was excellent (still not quite as good as the Coffee Moonshine @Ladybug gets back east)!

Saturday

Saturday we hit the grocery store and just explored around town.

Sunday

our friend Kevin (@KtroubleA) also joined us on this trip. since he's kind-of a Jeep newbie, we took him on a fairly easy run Sunday to get his feet wet and see what sort of tolerance he had for trail adventures! ;)

ACtC-3cZEnQHTrE396SkKz5BPXoCcy309Cr3xj07

the Laurel Lakes Road trail was rated "moderate", but i'd say all except one crazy switchback was easy for any stock high-clearance 4x4.

Kevin's brand spanking new 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL didn't have any trouble, and Kevin seemed to be eager for more trails!

ACtC-3e4tp_GZKVtBMpeL3l-ldnUqhA8i0nXm5Xx

ACtC-3d3vU3F8pDe7LUSr85pWWyohvM58ErxYwj6

ACtC-3ffPCNttmOAmtw4xn-yvlQ3moYlwb33jtIY

on the way back out of the dead-end trail, we stopped for lunch in a little Aspen grove by a creek.

ACtC-3foOFLXq6IQFrPRCts1fPhe2GA993-LHvnL

Monday

our other good friend Chris (@defectivemonk) had made the 12 hour drive down from Portland, OR to join us as well. his black 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon has a mild AEV lift and an integrated Ursa Minor J30 "pop-top" camper.

but, i found Gadget with a dead battery Monday morning, so we all drove down to the Autozone in Bishop for a warranty replacement and planned to hit the Sand Canyon trail afterwards.

i got confused on which number the trail was in the Wells California Book, and so we ended up at the end of the easy Buttermilk Country trail instead. but a trail is a trail, so we just ran Buttermilk in reverse! it was a very diverse trail with some great scenery, though i could have done without the last couple miles of washboards! 🥴

ACtC-3czy2FEA_4Ttyq7LsAHmszGDK8539XQpmeA

Kevin took this photo when we stopped for a little break in the tall pines at the western tip of the loop:

ACtC-3cgjOwqAL4qGpxmrXbXKn2rPVvTQstCqXJJ

we finished Buttermilk early enough everyone agreed we had time to still do Sand Canyon - so we headed towards it. on the way however, my TPMS started barking and i watched my driver-front tire pressure drop quickly.

turns out i had sliced a sidewall somehow on that easy trail - no idea where exactly. we put the spare on and then called a few tire shops in Mammoth and Bishop about getting a replacement.

ACtC-3fRH7pjoe0-9XhF8v0Yf7dIGN4tHI2pel9c

(photo from Chris)

after striking out on the first couple calls, Kevin found a Diesel & RV Repair/Tire shop in Bishop that was able to get the correct size Cooper STT Pro for me the next afternoon.

with Gadget having been a very bad girl, and without a spare - it was time to just head back to Mammoth and hit the distillery!

Tuesday

most of Tuesday was just a nice lazy vacation day. Chris, Kevin & i headed down to Bishop around 2pm to get the new tire - Brady and Aimee (@aimee) stayed back to relax more and explore near the condo.

the shop was interesting and off the beaten path, but they were very fair about the price of the tire as well as the mount & balance - nice folks!

ACtC-3cLOQgz_EuURgu7tzUFODZWcCM0chHJalF_

once Gadget was back in business, we headed over to the natural Stone Columns at Crowley Lake.

there was a mix of pavement and little dirt roads to get near them, and were excited we could see the columns once we hit the end of a trail. they looked reasonably close and so we scurried down to see them right away.

ACtC-3c73QqtetDOZqjYOJ5fmcJKMsxLeKBHY9FU

the limestone formations were really neat up-close. here's Kevin by the first ones we encountered:

ACtC-3dq298V96jyW_ryF8NRlo0Di5fDGRxzEZgH

obligatory selfie:

ACtC-3ffWU90JjE1AuJu998nJb0iFUBHQkxQvdSe

ACtC-3cDn0FlBb9zphooPHXNRDqM7qWBO_yk3DqA

ACtC-3c340G4_EMzYxJdcByj2gbG1tQRwIMyQfJc

the sky began to look ominous as we headed back.

ACtC-3fSd_fOQKocv-2kL-eOBHOUDqSS40VRhbHw

we never did get any real rain though - instead it was the hike back up to the Jeeps that tried to kill us...

we had been so excited to get to the columns, we didn't realize how steep the sandy hill climb back was going to be. i was in flops, of course, but all 3 of us had to stop and gasp for air multiple times. 

Crowley Lake is at nearly 7k feet elevation and the app on Kevin's phone said we climbed around 400ft more of elevation in only 200ft of distance!

Wednesday

we all met up at the Devil's Postpile National Monument on Wednesday morning.

ACtC-3eZdYXBYHqq9sj7F6JQqs3Dx75BvMMJXX74

it was a short easy hike to the base of the postpile.

ACtC-3eMTEeSUI5i5ZX5SU4x74GXPwcy2Bu1zoaP

Kevin & Brady also hiked up to the top (photo from Kevin):

ACtC-3ePrQqAJiP1ZfQiPwz3rn2xdqHz01zWRhzw

then they conspired to get Aimee, Chris & myself to climb up a little ways to see another view of the formations:

ACtC-3femrSIxx4yj3hU5dOAlLc3DFmFKuol4YdT

ACtC-3cDV5Og8qh_yvCFQBMNXx8S7u3Mgiqbwfc5

on the way back into Mammoth, i dropped Aimee & Brady off at the Main Lodge so they could ride the Gondola up to the top of the mountain.

ACtC-3fnVHWzytQrBq-8Qy_mpRh1wvfO_YPg3DaI

us boys decided to go run that Sand Canyon trail we'd never made it to on Monday.

ACtC-3cpKBfi8iPoMvHukdTz-gSDlYf8-vuIrOHS

the trail was rated moderate with killer views and several types of terrain. we crossed a very small section that looked to have recently burned.

ACtC-3cDNvoY3o_TZQzEA7S_3xq02WyZj_t4IwGz

a difficult rated spur trail, Wheeler Ridge, juts up the side of a mountain about 2/3rds of the way into the Sand Canyon trail... i convinced the other guys we should check it out at least!

it turned out to be a very tight twisty little boulder strewn climb. though Chris's JK is less modified than mine, and Kevin's JL is bone stock - we spanked it! Chris & Kevin even get extra credit for no whining ;)

ACtC-3f3X5PMFUmYSXEEbJ_xVuDrn4tB3aTbd0hx

for time's sake we only visited the viewpoint on top instead of following the entire ridgeline. my GPS said we topped out at 10,949 feet!

ACtC-3cCXVKw_7DBuhgPl71J1gHFOjbaxzFKS3tU

pano from Kevin at the viewpoint:

ACtC-3cEbh05dwOlBdB5hSoDcKw0c6EiG0xmpBGy

this is Chris's JK on the way back out to rejoin the original Sand Canyon trail - the sign said "Most Difficult, Skilled drivers with modified 4wd vehicles"!

ACtC-3erqlSameUneWxhYUC6WHPbTL9TXH6Jo5zP

feeling accomplished, we then finished up Sand Canyon which dead ends at a little lake which needs mowing (photo from Kevin):

ACtC-3d8Ew0TPlbAJqUGNY7YtDVTDh2WuHPmffau

a steady downhill in sand for several miles, the ride back out was an ass-haulin good time.

after these 2 great trails, Kevin's ear-to-ear grin told me he was hooked on Jeepin!

Thursday

we all drove down to Mono Lake to see the other-worldly Tufa formations Thursday morning.

ACtC-3cGcvrdjgXp80ZCoIqLyJRDUuSZYUDiTYE6

ACtC-3chIvTbclsLQClvnscQj8ufhs9ewvN2vqo0

next up was an easy 2wd loop around the Obsidian Domes.

ACtC-3ckokVMP6IvJxrCBgj-74hh0OkJjDn8XjuE

we all agreed that @Ladybug would love to have one of these huge boulders of volcanic formed black glass - i couldn't lift any of them though!

ACtC-3dw5jFXl2QOwXnK05ejRXQIUgbyJRnJ20sk

we pulled out the chairs and had a nice leisurely snack in the shade of the pines before finishing up the loop - sort of a last day trail goodbye.

ACtC-3e9qwHSEmAazGaxuD8BYPnAavTV3_m90orJ

(photo from Kevin)

Friday

we made good time driving back. it took about 9 and half hours to come home via the CA 395 and the I-40 as our major roads this time.

there's never enough time, and so several things near the 395 are still on my bucket list - the Reward Mine, Alabama Hills, and maybe the Bodie ghost town. i also still need to take Aimee & Brady to Yosemite someday. we  weren't able to get last minute passes despite trying online every morning as they opened up a few.

this was as great way to escape the Phoenix heat and we all had an awesome time - i highly recommend the Mammoth area!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6

I loved your trip report and pictures! I've been to Mammoth before, but in the winter to ski. So, I've wanted to go check out the nearby trails and points of interest for a long time. I didn't even know about the post pile or the obsidian dome, what neat places! Looks like you had a great trip.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dzJeepChic said:

I loved your trip report and pictures! I've been to Mammoth before, but in the winter to ski. So, I've wanted to go check out the nearby trails and points of interest for a long time. I didn't even know about the post pile or the obsidian dome, what neat places! Looks like you had a great trip.

i'd been there once in the winter too - with several friends that could all snowboard and they wanted to teach me... but i got sick including a sinus infection right before we went, so i was pretty miserable that whole time!

• Sad 1

VERY Much enjoyed seeing and visiting the area again, via your posts and trip report.  thanks for sharing...  ;)

• Like 2

Great trip report Kris.

Thanks for posting it

• Like 2

Thanks Kris, enjoyed the pics.

• Thanks 1

And there is NO Doubt that having one of those obsidian boulders would be so very cool!!!  

smiles, ladybug

• Like 1

Aimee took this photo while her & B were on top of the mountain on 8/12/2020:

ACtC-3fMkMmDgi6yklYgMZagIGrPG_eJ2SIY8M7y

turns out i had stood in almost the same spot to grab a photo back when i first visited Mammoth on 2/26/2006!

ACtC-3eeKJmMpAovVPvtpYoUKXEZgVWHRBGo2BBh

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

“Great minds think alike”

• Like 1

And what great pictures and report you have here!!! Just wants me to go there!!!  You want to schedule this for next year?!

smiles, ladybug

• Like 1