Sign in to follow this  
4x4tographer

10/10/2020: House Mountain & Return from House Mountain, 4x4 Moderate

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

The long range forecast is looking great at the moment with a low/high of 55/80.

ikrAR6n.png

Did you know that House Mountain is actually an extinct shield volcano? The mountain last erupted about 13-15 million years ago. The "house" at the top of the mountain is really a 50ft thick lava dome. 

If you're a super geology nerd, here's in interesting geological map of the mountain

This is another fascinating paper that provides an overview of the Verde Valley volcanic field.

The below is a shot I found on the U of A geology site that shows how the volcano flowed to the south away from Sedona with the caldera visible left/center. That's where we're gonna be hanging out!

House%20Mt.%20Aerial%20part1.jpeg

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

I am striking out  again .... please remove me from the attendee list. 

Best regards 

• Sad 2

@Curly, is the high really in the upper 80's in your neck of the woods this week?

16 minutes ago, theksmith said:

@Curly, is the high really in the upper 80's in your neck of the woods this week?

No, still in the 90's, but today is supposed to be the last day of 90+.  Winds predicted tomorrow will help it feel cooler as well. It's almost noon and only 85 right now. Tomorrow morning will be nice.  Hopefully the air will be clearer with the wind. 

• Like 1

@4x4tographer  Just a reminder I will meet you at the trail head on Beaverhead flat road.

1 hour ago, Curly said:

@4x4tographer  Just a reminder I will meet you at the trail head on Beaverhead flat road.

Sounds good Curly! @REDROCK TONIHAWK is planning to do the same thing. He'll be in a lime green Jeep JL.

Provided the group is timely, I'd expect us to meet you up at the trailhead around 8:45-ish to air down.

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by moodman

• Like 1

Hey folks

l 💕 king forward to meeting you! We will meet you at the trailhead in the morning.

• Like 1

Made it home. I t was great to meet everyone again and for the first for some. 😀Thanks for leading a great run Ryan!

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 2