shellback91

Steps/Sliders

I have been researching steps/sliders for a little while now. As with most things Jeep related there are varying opinions that need to further elaboration. 😀 I figured I'd ask here as part of my research because the feedback here is civilized and respectful.

At any rate I found some I like from Extreme Terrain, Barricade Extreme HD Rocker Steps.  I had a bad experience with ET previously so I am a little hesitant to give them another go.  I have read not so nice things about that brand that I will not repeat. I also found these by Smittybilt that seem to be a good fit. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these brands or if there are any recommendations that are similar.

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1

i think @4x4tographer has Smittybilt on his JLU, maybe he will comment... IMO, i don't like the look of the mounting for those.

the big lebowski opinion GIF by The Good Films

the Barricade look OK for a body-mounted slider. frame-mounted are going to take the most abuse, but i don't think that's a huge requirement for the type of wheeling you seem to enjoy most. 

from the 2 you mentioned, it looks like you want usable steps as well as rocker protection? the further the steps stick out, the worse they are for clearing obstacles (again may not be your primary concern). those Barricades actually seem like a pretty good option for a sub $400 slider with full step, most of the ones i'm familiar with are over $600.

just FYI, i make most of my 4x4 related purchases on Northridge or Amazon, with Quadratec being my third choice. avoid Morris 4x4 Center like the plague! i like Northridge because they seem to have accurate in/out-of stock indicators unlike many others, their prices are competitive, and they ship quickly. the only thing they lack are popular OEM (Mopar) parts, which Quadratec often has at a good price. no personal experience with Extreme Terrain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

i think @4x4tographer has Smittybilt on his JLU, maybe he will comment... IMO, i don't like the look of the mounting for those.

Sorry - this post is going to be all over the map. :P 

I've got Rugged Ridge's boat side "rocker rails" for my JLU.

They're absolute trash. Part of the problem was RR and other vendors were all trying to be first to market when the JL launched. I fell into the early adopter trap and bit on what they had to offer since there were very few options for us at the time that were of decent price.

They're not tough, and the design is poor.

The mounting is accomplished via a 2 piece bracket that is held to the frame with u-bolts on the front mount point. The rear mount point is frame mounted using existing bolts. The front u-bolts are extremely exposed and prone to knocking on rocks.

Additionally, every time I take a decent hit to the rails, its puts stress on the u-bolts and warps/bends them. Further, Rugged Ridge will not sell you replacement u-bolts (which are a custom size, BTW). I also couldn't find the appropriate size for purchase anywhere, so I resorted to making my own with some threaded rod. Any time you need to replace the u-bolt, you need to remove the entire slider.

My next set will probably be from LOD. Their Signature Series sliders are tough as nails and are frame mounted. I want something I can use a hi-lift on if I need too. Unfortunately they're a little pricey, so I might be waiting til they go on sale at Thanksgiving.

I'm also eyeballing the sliders from Rock Hard 4x4. While body mounted, they're also heavy duty and have more mounting points than any others I've seen. It's also my understanding that they're the slider that Barlow's Jeeps Rentals trusts on their entire fleet. If that isn't a shining endorsement, I don't know what is.

Some photos of the hot garbage (Rugged Ridges) mounted on my Jeep:

rjnaDQg.jpg

This is a photo showing how far down the mounting bracket hangs.

s0jyCq6.jpg

Photos of the u-bolts that are jacked up after a single wheeling trip.

oB6fgtr.jpg

As for Extreme Terrain. I don't trust them and I'd avoid them as they have no problem selling vaporware. 

Case-in-point:

• We pre-ordered the Smittybuilt Atlas rear bumper from them. They were happy to take our money and provide us with a shipping estimate.
  • 4-6 months go by - nothing. Contacted them, they told me Smittybuilt would be producing them in another 2-4 months.
  • Wait some more.
  • Turns out, Smittybuilt cancelled production of the Atlas for the JL and don't even offer it. Period.
  • Still no word from Extreme Terrain on the fact that their supplier wasn't planning to supply the bumper at all.
  • We eventually cancelled the order and got a refund.

Personally, I've bought a lot from Quadratec. They have great customer service and very fair prices on MOPAR parts. Shipping is fast.

I've also heard really great things about Northridge 4x4 and found great prices through them that beat buying direct from the supplier. I found a Teraflex Apline lift from NorthRidge for $400 cheaper than Teraflex itself was selling it.

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OH - one more suggestion. You could poke around on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for some Rubicon take offs. I sold my Rubicon rock rails for $100 to some kid with a JLU Sport. He was happy as hell. I should have just kept them since they're better than what I have today.

EDIT: I just saw you have a Rubicon - so ignore what I said! 😅

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1

Thanks @theksmith and well put about the type of wheeling I enjoy most. I am not a brave soul just yet and extreme trails and rock crawling will have to wait until I can afford to break stuff!  🤣 The Smittybilt's not having a center mount point could be an issue. I am looking for a step/slider combo because my wife is 5' tall and has a hard time climbing in.  I do not want them sticking out too far but do want some protection while making it easier for her to get in.

Thanks @4x4tographer. I went through the same thing with ET. Ordered something and waited 2 months and nothing. I cancelled my order and ordered through Quadratech, had them within a week. It is disappointing when a vendor has what what you want or need then does that and earns that reputation. I plan on keeping the Rubi Rails should I trash a set of steps or just hate them.

I will be checking out the vendors you guys mention to see what I can find.

Not sure about the steps but if you want quality sliders I have always gone to White Castles. They are the best. IMHO. Make sure you order them with cheese.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, johnpa said:

Not sure about the steps but if you want quality sliders I have always gone to White Castles. They are the best. IMHO. Make sure you order them with cheese.

I see what you did there...  🤣

Ace Ventura Laughing GIF

• Haha 2

On 9/10/2020 at 7:35 AM, theksmith said:

<snip>

just FYI, i make most of my 4x4 related purchases on Northridge or Amazon, with Quadratec being my third choice. avoid Morris 4x4 Center like the plague! i like Northridge because they seem to have accurate in/out-of stock indicators unlike many others, their prices are competitive, and they ship quickly. the only thing they lack are popular OEM (Mopar) parts, which Quadratec often has at a good price. no personal experience with Extreme Terrain.

As an aside on where to purchase from... I just discovered that https://azwholesalemopar.com is an online front-end to Larry H Miller. You can order your parts on their site and save on shipping by choosing local pick-up at their Peoria location off west Bell/101. The prices on that site are as good as any have found online for OEM part ordering. Far cheaper than Quadratec for OEM parts.

• Like 2

I am really sad that MBRP gave up on their Off Camber line of products. I have their rock rails on my 2008 JKUR and I like them because, they are good profile (no loss of clearance), frame mounted and body attached, offer side/body protection, and have bolt-on/off removable steps (my wife wants steps when she uses that Jeep). They also have a fairly clean look. I, not unlike @theksmith, like a non-flashy look to my vehicle. Although I give him the tip of the hat to having maybe a bit more OCD than I do about it.

• Haha 3