KtroubleA

Firefly 2020 JLUR

Hi Everyone! 

Meet Firefly, it's so much easier than the other names. It's a Sting Gray 2020 Unlimited Rubicon Recon.

Recon added all the options I was looking for like AUX switches, upgraded electrical, etc... and I get pretty red seat belts and nice seat and dash leather with stitching. The decals are cool too :)

IMG_2566.thumb.JPG.e74fa765b5edc7646d37afc00c006583.JPG

Engine: 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo eTorque Engine

Transmission: 8–Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission

4:1 Rock–Trac® Heavy–Duty Part–Time 4WD System

Tru–Lok Front and Rear Axles

Dana M210 Wide Front Axle

Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle

33" Offroad tires on 17" rims

Pretty much ready to rock out the door. 

I've managed to collect most of my recovery gear and comms. I have the winch (Mopar version WARN Zeon 8S Winch With 3/8 Inch Diameter Synthetic rope) installed now. The roof liner definitely is an improvement in both noise and temperature.

I mounted the 48" Hi-Lift Jack on Hauk hood mounts.

I added a Hooke Road Cargo Cover Basket Rack

IMG_2522.JPG.78c7ad1bb2ccf6b0cc1c35093d6900fc.JPG

It says hard top only in one of the ads, but I strongly believe it's fine without. It mounts to the piers and the cargo net is very sturdy. The height is really good for using it as a security cover for the lower compartment with the top off. 

I'll update this with pics and more info :) Promise!

Edited by KtroubleA
add more info and another pic
  • Like 3

i think you should name it Steve...

#1, as a tribute to Steve Irwin since he died from a StinGray stabbing and #2 the donkey in WaterBoy was named Steve and donkeys are unstoppable

but i cant help myself rob gronkowski GIF

• Like 1

@theksmith, I think you're onto something; two excellent points. Plus Steve is an excellent name for a Jeep. G mentioned that 'Ray' is also a cool name. 🤣

• Like 1

Hey Everyone, late getting this out there, but huge Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFCto @theksmith for helping me install an ARB Twin Onboard Air Compressor.

I will never be the last one off the trailhead again!!!

It's pretty amazing, here's a couple pics of the build, which was remarkably straightforward, likely thanks to K!

First pic shows the takedown and the amount of carpet that had to be trimmed. That drain plug gets one little hole for a cable and we had to drill one small hole between the floor and the gas tank. The bracket uses the seat mounts though. Just need a little passthrough for cables/wires.

Next 3 are various views of the semi installed unit before final fitting. We did end up replacing the rubber hose with a steel mesh one as the first time I used it, we think it heated up and the hose lost its grip. 

Last two is one of the cable runs in the engine compartment and then the fitting under the passenger seat. It's very convenient and much easier than my last unit, which was just a little clip on. 

IMG_2757.JPG

62897441150__14A2B89D-4954-4520-8AFF-52C3012D94D5.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

• Like 5

Looking good! Is that the mount that requires you to block the floor vent? I thought it was - but maybe I'm blind. I'm not seeing a floor vent!

I think I had to trim that down, but it doesn't seem to matter. Everything fits well under the passenger seat. FWIW https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL4XG4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this and it's perfect to keep cruft from getting into the outlet. 

• Like 1

Your Rubicon looks great. Nice cargo basket rack as well, seems like a neat way to organize some stuff. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, grayson05 said:

Your Rubicon looks great. Nice cargo basket rack as well, seems like a neat way to organize some stuff. 

Thanks @grayson05, I really love it. There's room for fire extinguisher, tire repair kit, inflate o flat super!, a jack block, both traction boards, jumper cables, first aid kit, a couple of pack blankets, some light sticks, and 2 REI camp chairs :) Sucker is loaded, oh I put the control module for the winch in there too. There's probably some other crap hiding in there now too. 

• Like 1