shellback91

Black Bear Pass

This is a scary video  a little past 2:05 . I am not ashamed to say this trail is off my bucket list for now. I have seen more than one of these videos and they all scare the  💩 outta me. There are a few trails up there that I would not mind doing though, just not this one. 🙂

Another tragic crash on Black Bear Pass this morning.  😟

*10am Update: Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Road are now open. Thank you for your patience.

----

*Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd CLOSED to vehicle traffic

1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.

10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.

Sheriff Masters wishes to thank TFPD, Telluride Marshal’s Deputies, and CSP for their efficient response and care and extends his best wishes to the driver for a good recovery from her serious injuries. Sheriff Masters also wants to remind everyone, “Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate off-road vehicles. Legally, a 16 year-old who got his driver’s license a few hours prior, may attempt to drive the pass in his grandmother’s 1980’s sedan. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so."

0940 Deputies and wrecker on scene; estimated time for road and pass to be re-open is by 1030am.

0830 Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd are closed due to vehicle rollover. Will reopen after wrecker removes vehicle. Unknown ETA.

Driver treated on scene by Telluride Fire Protection District medics and transported to Telluride Regional Medical Center for further care.  #blackbearpass #bridalveil #telluride

Photos courtesty of Telluride Fire Protection District

black-bear-pass-rollover-san-miguel-co-sheriff-2.jpg.f3a1cae19b7b1fbe6741bcec0ad60f8c.jpg

black-bear-pass-rollover-san-miguel-co-sheriff-3.jpg.9c3522d378ad26586bd2c4e51391e5d5.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

Another tragic crash on Black Bear Pass this morning.  😟

*10am Update: Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Road are now open. Thank you for your patience.

----

*Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd CLOSED to vehicle traffic

1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.

10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.

Sheriff Masters wishes to thank TFPD, Telluride Marshal’s Deputies, and CSP for their efficient response and care and extends his best wishes to the driver for a good recovery from her serious injuries. Sheriff Masters also wants to remind everyone, “Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate off-road vehicles. Legally, a 16 year-old who got his driver’s license a few hours prior, may attempt to drive the pass in his grandmother’s 1980’s sedan. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so."

0940 Deputies and wrecker on scene; estimated time for road and pass to be re-open is by 1030am.

0830 Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd are closed due to vehicle rollover. Will reopen after wrecker removes vehicle. Unknown ETA.

Driver treated on scene by Telluride Fire Protection District medics and transported to Telluride Regional Medical Center for further care.  #blackbearpass #bridalveil #telluride

Photos courtesty of Telluride Fire Protection District

black-bear-pass-rollover-san-miguel-co-sheriff-2.jpg.f3a1cae19b7b1fbe6741bcec0ad60f8c.jpg

black-bear-pass-rollover-san-miguel-co-sheriff-3.jpg.9c3522d378ad26586bd2c4e51391e5d5.jpg

This is very tragic. To me looks like a combination of wrong vehicle(based on what I can see,I could be wrong) for the trail, inexperience and some bad luck. Hope the girl and the pooch make a speedy recovery.  

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, shellback91 said:

This is very tragic. To me looks like a combination of wrong vehicle(based on what I can see,I could be wrong) for the trail, inexperience and some bad luck. Hope the girl and the pooch make a speedy recovery.  

Further information released today indicates that NEITHER of the two people in the car saw the signs indicating the road above the falls was one way "DO NOT ENTER", as they drove up from the bottom.   When it became apparent to them that they did not wish to continue, one got out of the car to guide the other in getting turned around, but the driver hugged the uphill so hard that the wheels climbed the bank uphill enough to cause it to begin to roll.

Driver and the dog were both ejected, with the pup seen by a vet and released, but the 23 YO female driver was in very serious condition with multiple injuries.   No real update of her condition, since yesterday.

Vehicle was one of the newer small Bronco's (NOT their Wrangler competitor), and during the roll it also lost the engine, which is likely a good thing, as the more stuff that gets removed from a vehicle in a situation like this, the less total kinetic energy created by the total vehicle mass falling, which needs to be dissipated before it comes to a stop.

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

2 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Further information released today indicates that NEITHER of the two people in the car saw the signs indicating the road above the falls was one way "DO NOT ENTER", as they drove up from the bottom.   When it became apparent to them that they did not wish to continue, one got out of the car to guide the other in getting turned around, but the driver hugged the uphill so hard that the wheels climbed the bank uphill enough to cause it to begin to roll.

Driver and the dog were both ejected, with the pup seen by a vet and released, but the 23 YO female driver was in very serious condition with multiple injuries.   No real update of her condition, since yesterday.

Vehicle was one of the newer small Bronco's (NOT their Wrangler competitor), and during the roll it also lost the engine, which is likely a good thing, as the more stuff that gets removed from a vehicle in a situation like this, the less total kinetic energy created by the total vehicle mass falling, which needs to be dissipated before it comes to a stop.

Thanks for the update on this.

i've no idea how many times this rolled or how far down... but compared to the rest of the vehicle, the cabin has kept its shape pretty well and the surrounding crumple-zones seem to have done their job. people bag on the Bronco Sport all the time, but it looks to be decently engineered from a crash-test perspective at least.

hopefully the driver pulls through.

• Like 2

I was wondering how they were going up on the one way portion and why they were trying to turn around.  Now it makes sense. 

I hope they are okay.   

Black Bear is not a technically challenging trail but it can be unforgiving to the inexperienced or if you don't stay focused on the trail.  

• Like 2