Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Open to All: Feb 18 - 20, 2011 Mojave Road AKA Kit Carson Trail 4x4 Easy Tent Camping

uhghhh embarrasing newb question.. I know what the idler pully is, and the u-joints.. but what is a unit bearing. Are those also connected to the u-joints? And I dont have these on hand already, so I guess Napa wouldhave to do since they are for emergency anyways..

not newb at all... i'm not sure what type of hub assemblies your truck even uses!

unit-bearings are the sealed-for-life hubs on the front of 4WD Jeeps and some other vehicles unless you have aftermarket locking manual hubs. Many older 4WDs had manual locking hubs too (which are rebuild-able).

since you haven't ever really wheeled your vehicle much, i wouldn't be too worried. vehicles that have been wheeled hard with big tires can grenade hubs due to the extra stresses put on them, otherwise they last for a very long time on street-only rides. if you have rebuild-able hubs, then you can take them apart, inspect them and grease them up easily. if you have some form of "lifetime" bearing/hub and they aren't too expensive, you could pick up a spare from napa/autozone/pep-boys.

35400.jpg

ahh ic ic, my truck has auto-locking hubs on the front

for those with v8s? about how much xtra gas are you bringing? i have 3 jerry cans i was gonna take but i made the switch to 2 kolpin 4gal fuel packs to test them out. difference of 15gal to 8gal. i would think that is plenty right?

i was wondering? our end point, isnt that pretty close to vegas? cause supposedly, we should be done by the afternoon right? my dad has never seen hoover dam, so i was gonna take him there and maybe shoot up to vegas? which is a few hours away isn't it? just asking before i look it all up?

till then.

i was wondering? our end point, isnt that pretty close to vegas? cause supposedly, we should be done by the afternoon right? my dad has never seen hoover dam, so i was gonna take him there and maybe shoot up to vegas? which is a few hours away isn't it? just asking before i look it all up?

Our Mojave Trip will end near Laughlin, NV, which is pretty close to Las Vegas. They're maybe an hour apart. If you google the map you will notice 2 routes from Laughlin to get to Vegas; the one which takes you E. on Hwy. 68 and then N. on Hwy. 93 is the one that goes past the dam. From my understanding, due to the completion of the bridge across the Colorado River below the dam, you cannot get to the dam from AZ side, but you can double back from Boulder, NV and get onto the dam from there. Since that's the case, the shortest route would be Hwy 95 N. from Laughlin to Boulder, then S. on Hwy. 93 to the dam. You might want to check accessibility to the dam because it has changed recently.

for those with v8s? about how much xtra gas are you bringing? i have 3 jerry cans i was gonna take but i made the switch to 2 kolpin 4gal fuel packs to test them out. difference of 15gal to 8gal. i would think that is plenty right?

till then.

i'd bring a single 4/5 gallon can - you probably won't even need it, but just to be safe. i'll be bringing 2 cans so that i have extra if anyone needs it.

we end up right in Laughlin when done.

The traffic to Hoover Dam is still unbelievably heavy from Boulder at times. It may or may not be that bad in the late afternoon. You may wany to consider from Laughlin taking the AZ side, crossing over the new bridge into NV and doubling back to the dam when the roads intertsect. It could cut off 5-10 miles of stop and go traffic if it happens to be heavy at that time.

i'd bring a single 4/5 gallon can - you probably won't even need it, but just to be safe. i'll be bringing 2 cans so that i have extra if anyone needs it.

we end up right in Laughlin when done.

Im also bringing 2, 4 gallon fuel packs, that if I dont need I would be glad to share.

55 gallons of the oily stuff. I should be ok I think. time to have a few cards ready at fillup

55 gallons of the oily stuff. I should be ok I think. time to have a few cards ready at fillup

It will only set you back $190. George:cool::D:eek:

Yay UPS came early! I ordered a extra 16x7 steel wheel to match the one I already have, so I have 2 spare full size wheels for the trip.

I scored 2 T/A KO's 265/75/16' from a buddy for 40 bux!

Sooooo, I have a 3RD spare that is 265/70/16 that is in great shape. Its a no name brand A/T that I can bring if anyone happens to run that size.. which I doubt.. but I do not need it so I thought I would ask.