Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Open to All: Feb 18 - 20, 2011 Mojave Road AKA Kit Carson Trail 4x4 Easy Tent Camping

I will be coming in from Barstow and could anyone tell me where would be the best place to fill up before the campground? I will be a bit later than most since I have to work Friday, but hope to be out of Kingman by two or three. As, like others, I am going to have my Tacoma and trailer packed before I go to work on Friday so I can hit the road right away.

Been watching the weather and they are predicting a storm later this week but I am hoping as, as we are all, that it will pass on by.

Mikey

I'm either coming from Vegas or Barstow? I was looking on google maps. Is there a gas station close by the exit? Coming from Vegas I saw one that was closer? Just wanted to double check?

I will be coming in from Barstow and could anyone tell me where would be the best place to fill up before the campground?

Gentleman, as the "Local," let me help out here. Baker is 25 miles northeast of Afton Canyon road on I15, it's got a slew of gas stations, all running about $3.75 a gallon. There is another gas station on Rasor rd, about 12 miles NE of Afton Canyon rd. and I wouldn't want to know the fuel price there, but it is a Shell. Your other closest spot on I15 is Ghosttown road in Yermo (or, if you're coming in on I40, take the Daggett exit and head north, it turns into Ghosttown road when it hits I15), 47 miles Southwest (Barstow is another 7 miles, with plenty of fuel stops). Unless you're being brand specific, I recommend the AM PM (debit or cash for those not in the know), as it is competetively priced, the 76 and Chevron north of the I15 freeway charge about $.35 to $0.40 over the local average. If you're planning on cutting across the preserve, Needles is about 150 miles away using Kelbaker Road, and you'll go through Baker on the way in most likely anyway. Other than that, the only other reliable fuel I remember on the I40 is the Ludlow exit, at the southwest corner of the preserve, 55 miles from Afton Canyon Rd (using I40 W to Newberry road to Harvard road to I15 N) and it's also on the pricy side as I remember.

I hope that helps for those of you curious about the fuel availability.

Crazy question... What is everyone going to be driving, so I know who to park by at Afton Canyon?:smile-big:

Not sure what time we'll be there, but we'll be in this:

Kofa%202010%20157.jpg

See You All There!!!

Crazy question... What is everyone going to be driving, so I know who to park by at Afton Canyon?:smile-big: here's me:

I will have Jiminy.

IMG_5858.jpg

Crazy question... What is everyone going to be driving, so I know who to park by at Afton Canyon?

I'll be in my 4-door Wrangler. It now has big "Offroad Passport.com" banners on the sides of the hood.

DSCF0642.JPG

No pics on this computer, but will be in a brick colored FJC.

current weather forecast calling for cold, ~40% chance of showers, and might even snow on the tallest of the mountain peaks in the preserve... be prepared accordingly!

or it may all clear up, never know, that's the fun of winter trips!

I'll be in my 4-door Wrangler. It now has big "Offroad Passport.com" banners on the sides of the hood.

DSCF0642.JPG

lookin' more like this now

DSCN5106.JPG