Jump to content
Trail Toy

Proudly introducing "NO RAGRETS", before/after pics & more...

Recommended Posts

Today my new Commountain speaker mic arrived for my ham radio.  😎

 

mic.jpg.fc57208ab3cc6aa62507705d8d187893.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I installed both front wheel spacers and both Metal Cloak front lower shock relocation brackets, I'll install the rear wheel spacers tomorrow.  Fairly basic stuff, little more work than I expected but no big deal.  I'm sure I figured out why my driver side shock was rubbing, the lower rubber bushing is worn and has a bit of play in it, noticed that while tightening the bolt/nut.  The passenger side is fine, no worn bushing or rubbing.

 

Bracket installed.

20210108_173736.thumb.jpg.99e12313f5de5809ab063c071996bd18.jpg

 

Wheel spacer installed.

20210108_173751.thumb.jpg.d5555a9ab64491562c81653b598cbdd8.jpg

 

Damage to shock body, worse than I thought but the shock seems fine.

20210108_171418.thumb.jpg.457f4ef8c6454e012fda49c5a7a7f423.jpg

 

To the right of the shock you can see where it was rubbing on the frame.

20210108_173653.thumb.jpg.e82fe8c0bc2093b146dd7b895b7de2ae.jpg

  • Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today my battery eliminator for my BaoFeng radio was delivered, no more relying on the battery and full power all the time! 

 

Happy Yes It Is GIF

 

be.thumb.jpg.7f28a6f268061e77ca4c9fcd526c987d.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the TeraFlex Upper Stud Frame Bracket Kit knowing that the 5/8" stud might not work with my links, turns out they're too big.  I took it upon myself to drill out the threaded hole where the studs mount so my quick disconnect clevis pins will fit.  No more zip ties, works perfect!

 

Driver side bracket.

20210120_133751.thumb.jpg.e7258ece48175589065297e258b6da2f.jpg

 

Passenger side bracket.

20210120_133813.thumb.jpg.d0640c2a3a76b1b128b9e649ae902541.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for opinions/experiences with TeraFlex shocks.  Being that my current shocks are old, have worn bushings and damage to the driver front shock body I'm going to have to replace them sooner than later.  I'm looking at these and they seem like they'd be a good choice and not too pricey, pretty much every retailer wants the same price of $285.

 

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-3-4-9550-vss-shock-absorber-kit-all-4

 

tf.thumb.jpg.9decb25900cdcf0f6c6dfb8d9aa47b61.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

Looking for opinions/experiences with TeraFlex shocks.  Being that my current shocks are old, have worn bushings and damage to the driver front shock body I'm going to have to replace them sooner than later.  I'm looking at these and they seem like they'd be a good choice and not too pricey, pretty much every retailer wants the same price of $285.

 

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-3-4-9550-vss-shock-absorber-kit-all-4

 

tf.thumb.jpg.9decb25900cdcf0f6c6dfb8d9aa47b61.jpg

 

i used to run those on my WJ (the JKU 6" version)... i thought they were a good value for that price range.

 

i've always heard that the similarly priced models of Bilstiens, Rubicon Express & ProComp shocks are overly stiff.

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

Looking for opinions/experiences with TeraFlex shocks.  Being that my current shocks are old, have worn bushings and damage to the driver front shock body I'm going to have to replace them sooner than later.  I'm looking at these and they seem like they'd be a good choice and not too pricey, pretty much every retailer wants the same price of $285.

 

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-3-4-9550-vss-shock-absorber-kit-all-4

 

tf.thumb.jpg.9decb25900cdcf0f6c6dfb8d9aa47b61.jpg

 

No specific experience with Teraflex, but at that price point you'll find Metalcloak's Rocksport shocks to be highly competitive with about 1" more travel. Also in that range, the Bilstein 5100's are a nice riding shock, but can get a little stiff in the cold - not that that's really a problem here in AZ. 🥵

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4x4tographer said:

 

No specific experience with Teraflex, but at that price point you'll find Metalcloak's Rocksport shocks to be highly competitive with about 1" more travel. Also in that range, the Bilstein 5100's are a nice riding shock, but can get a little stiff in the cold - not that that's really a problem here in AZ. 🥵

 

Metalcloak states that their shocks are "tuned" for their dual rate coils, I don't have dual rate coils so I'm wondering if they'll still perform correctly.  I do like that they have an extra inch of travel (doubt I would need it but better to have it and not need it...) and I would save about $23 on taxes. Metalcloak's Rocksports are $276 with free shipping and no tax for a set vs. TeraFlex's $285 + around $23 in taxes and free shipping for a set. 😲  I checked several retailers (TeraFlex, Amazon, Extreme Terrain, etc.) and they all charge taxes.

Edited by Trail Toy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

 

Metalcloak states that their shocks are "tuned" for their dual rate coils, I don't have dual rate coils so I'm wondering if they'll still perform correctly.  I do like that they have an extra inch of travel (doubt I would need it but better to have it and not need it...) and I would save about $23 on taxes. Metalcloak's Rocksports are $276 with free shipping and no tax for a set vs. TeraFlex's $285 + around $23 in taxes and free shipping for a set. 😲  I checked several retailers (TeraFlex, Amazon, Extreme Terrain, etc.) and they all charge taxes.

 

I'm definitely no expert, but I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference with the Rocksports and shocks with a "general tune". I've seen quite a few folks running them on "non-Metalcloak" lifts for the extra bit of travel.

 

I'd take a look at the collapsed/extended lengths compared to what you have today, just to be sure you won't have any issues.

 

A great site I came across recently when looking at shocks was Shock Surplus. They've got a lot of options and specs on most of what they carry.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

 

I'm definitely no expert, but I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference with the Rocksports and shocks with a "general tune". I've seen quite a few folks running them on "non-Metalcloak" lifts for the extra bit of travel.

 

I'd take a look at the collapsed/extended lengths compared to what you have today, just to be sure you won't have any issues.

 

A great site I came across recently when looking at shocks was Shock Surplus. They've got a lot of options and specs on most of what they carry.

 

I don't know what shocks are on there now, the lift is older, Superlift doesn't make the one I have anymore so I have nothing to go by.  I did email Metalcloak last night and asked about this so hopefully they'll let me know.  I'm sure the Rocksports have more travel because Metalcloak uses them with a 4.5" lift and I have a 4" lift.  I just want to make sure they'll work and not get damaged due to the fact I don't have dual rate coils.  I'm really leaning towards the Rocksports mostly because of the price but also because they have quality parts.

Edited by Trail Toy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...