Trail Toy

Proudly introducing "NO RAGRETS", before/after pics & more...

Seems like I learn something new about my rig quite often, turns out the OEM stereo has a 6 disc CD changer built in!  And it works too!  😎

wow GIF

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Now it seems like when find out a cool/good thing about my rig something bad happens. ☹️

So, we've been camping at Buckskin state park the past 2 1/2 days.  We decided to bring the Jeep, originally weren't, after discovering a cool trail to go offroading on just a mile down the street from the camp grounds.  Yesterday morning I disconnect, air down and then we head to the trail.  We get to the trail and start heading down it in 4 high for about a minute, we come around a corner and see a hill so it's now time for 4 low.  Just as always I stop, put the transmission in neutral and shift the transfer case into 4 low only this time it didn't shift like normal.  Normally I hear a slight clunk/thud sound (not gears grinding) and then 4 low is ready to go.  Yesterday when attempting the shift to 4 low there was a much louder CLUNK and the shift lever became loose and sloppy, no 4 low.  I put it back into 2 high and tried several times to get 4 high or 4 low but it won't engage either and the lever it still noticeably loose/sloppy.  I realize at that point, obviously, that something is wrong and can only drive in 2 high.  So much for that offroading adventure and back to camp we go.  Now I have to figure what's wrong and fix it so here's my shout out for HELP!  Anyone who might know what is going on and can give me feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Posted (edited)

No idea what’s wrong, but do you need someone to come pick you guys up? Bring you anything?

Are you able to get back into 2High?

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the offer but we are already home.  After the shifter fiasco yesterday morning my rig was already back into 2 high and was able to drive on the street normally.  I've done research already and have a good idea of what's wrong, if it's what I found from researching it should be a fairly quick and easy fix.  Will know for sure tomorrow morning after looking at the linkage under the center console. 

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

Thanks for the offer but we are already home.  After the shifter fiasco yesterday morning my rig was already back into 2 high and was able to drive on the street normally.  I've done research already and have a good idea of what's wrong, if it's what I found from researching it should be a fairly quick and easy fix.  Will know for sure tomorrow morning after looking at the linkage under the center console. 

I was thinking about the cable/linkage between the shift lever and the transfer case

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stacey and Scott said:

I was thinking about the cable/linkage between the shift lever and the transfer case

That's what I'll be looking into today, starting with the connection under the center console which is the most common place to have issues.

16 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

Now it seems like when find out a cool/good thing about my rig something bad happens. ☹️

So, we've been camping at Buckskin state park the past 2 1/2 days.  We decided to bring the Jeep, originally weren't, after discovering a cool trail to go offroading on just a mile down the street from the camp grounds.  Yesterday morning I disconnect, air down and then we head to the trail.  We get to the trail and start heading down it in 4 high for about a minute, we come around a corner and see a hill so it's now time for 4 low.  Just as always I stop, put the transmission in neutral and shift the transfer case into 4 low only this time it didn't shift like normal.  Normally I hear a slight clunk/thud sound (not gears grinding) and then 4 low is ready to go.  Yesterday when attempting the shift to 4 low there was a much louder CLUNK and the shift lever became loose and sloppy, no 4 low.  I put it back into 2 high and tried several times to get 4 high or 4 low but it won't engage either and the lever it still noticeably loose/sloppy.  I realize at that point, obviously, that something is wrong and can only drive in 2 high.  So much for that offroading adventure and back to camp we go.  Now I have to figure what's wrong and fix it so here's my shout out for HELP!  Anyone who might know what is going on and can give me feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

G says that the shift linkage came lose, and you need to crawl underneath, put it back in, and possibly wire it in place. This is a common thing with JK's.

I did a write up about it years ago for JPFreek Mag, which I can't find now. but I do have the pictures from the article. You can see the bracket where the cable goes through, and the 2nd pic is where G wired his to keep it from falling out. Kind of dumb engineering on Jeep's part IMHO because, gravity. ;)

He removed the bracket the transfer case cable runs through, drilled 2 holes above the upside-down horseshoe shape, reinstalled the bracket, snapped the transfer case cable back, and used the holes to run wire through and hold it up. He says it was easy.

DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0685.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dzJeepChic said:

G says that the shift linkage came lose, and you need to crawl underneath, put it back in, and possibly wire it in place. This is a common thing with JK's.

Will be under my rig shortly, letting things cool off before going under, had the engine running for a few minutes while driving up on my ramps.

• Like 1

Turns out the problem is a broken PLASTIC (of course) bracket attached to the shifter cable under the center console.  The only way to fix it is to replace the ENTIRE cable.  I'm working on a temp fix for now, more to come if I get the temp fix to work...

• Like 2