theksmith

Aimee's 2021 WK2 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

just putting this bit of knowledge here for one day when we need a new battery...

the diesel WK2 has an L5/H8/Group 49 battery instead of the L4/H7/Group 94R. to upsize to the slightly longer L5, you just need a different hold-down bracket - part number #68039242AA (about $5).

why? because the L4 typically has 800CCA/140RC where as most L5 have 850CCA/160RC, and the L5 is only about $10 more. that extra reserve capacity could come in handy if running a fridge, lunchbox, etc.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, theksmith said:

just putting this bit of knowledge here for one day when we need a new battery...

the diesel WK2 has an L5/H8/Group 49 battery instead of the L4/H7/Group 94R. to upsize to the slightly longer L5, you just need a different hold-down bracket - part number #68039242AA (about $5).

why? because the L4 typically has 800CCA/140RC where as most L5 have 850CCA/160RC, and the L5 is only about $10 more. that extra reserve capacity could come in handy if running a fridge, lunchbox, etc.

Good find!
 It seems like on FCA vehicles it’s worth a look before you buy a battery.

My ‘17 Ram had a battery tray that was quite a bit larger than the stock battery.  I upgraded to the larger battery, but kept the same hold down.  
Parts guy said they only showed one part number for the 1500.

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 1

Little bit of knowledge.. like to know when Aimee’s gonna let me take her for a rip ride

10 hours ago, scottL said:

Little bit of knowledge.. like to know when Aimee’s gonna let me take her for a rip ride

she doesn't even let me drive it unsupervised!

ACtC-3fEQbu86p2fw-44Gv4qwd5bzrtDEBVKA0OY

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:48 PM, 4x4tographer said:

Out of curiosity, are you able to recalibrate to the new tire size? That was always a pain point for me with my KL Trailhawk when I went to 30.5" tires.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, theksmith said:

yes, using AlfaOBD - though it took a little trial and error to figure out the exact process... the steps were a little different than what i found on the Ram forums. i'll have to double-check my process and do a little write-up later.

write-up on how i adjusted the tire size here:

• Like 1

ok, i know we live in Phoenix - but the heated steering wheel is actually awesome on a chilly morning!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, theksmith said:

ok, i know we live in Phoenix - but the heated steering wheel is actually awesome on a chilly morning!

Princess Diaries GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 5

Very nice ride! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:29 PM, theksmith said:

tires: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in 265/65R18 (approximately 31.5")

I've had this set of tires (17") in my discounttire shopping cart for a while now, waiting for my MTs to wear out. The pictures are a good visual of how it will look on my GC, and of course it will be MUCH quieter. Can't wait to hear myself think!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1