theksmith

Aimee's 2021 WK2 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

4 hours ago, theksmith said:

the friction from the loaded metal-on-metal contact is what gives this type of hitch its anti-sway capabilities. if you grease those contact points then it will still provide weight-distribution, but no longer act as a sway-control device.

They guy we rented the trailer from said that his needed to be greased (mentioned he forgot to do so) so maybe his set up is a little different?

• Dislike 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:21 AM, theksmith said:

the friction from the loaded metal-on-metal contact is what gives this type of hitch its anti-sway capabilities. if you grease those contact points then it will still provide weight-distribution, but no longer act as a sway-control device.

EXACTLY...   These units are SUPPOSED to NEVER have the friction surfaces lubricated.   I suspect they were worn out and rather than replace it (~$70), the owner simply added lube to stop the noise.   AND doing so made the sway control device about as effective as adding lube to brake linings...

See attached link (this one from Draw-Tite Hitches), whose installation and usage instructions for this type of sway control device (item #6) clearly states that you are to NEVER lubricate the slide mechanism... ;)

https://www.draw-tite.com/product-assets/install/N83660.pdf

On 10/6/2021 at 5:41 AM, Trail Toy said:

They guy we rented the trailer from said that his needed to be greased (mentioned he forgot to do so) so maybe his set up is a little different?

The guy who owned it was SADLY mis-informed on the purpose and care of the slide-friction device...   (see above response to Kris's response...)

• Like 1

Maybe the guy was talking about something else or just bullshitting me to give me piece of mind or something, who knows.  This was literally a year ago, I don't remember everything exactly.  I will say this guy was very knowledgeable, been owning/renting trailers for years.