theksmith

Freya: Aimee's 2021 WK2 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8

She's a bada$$ looking Jeep!

• Like 1

Hi Kris,

Thanks for sharing all of the details on this vehicle.  It looks great!

I'm thinking of buying a (probably used) Trailhawk and am wondering about the rear axle locker. 

Can you tell me if your year's version of the Trailhawk has one?  Or is it maybe something you get when you don't get the V8?

15 hours ago, HeyOK said:

Hi Kris,

I'm thinking of buying a (probably used) Trailhawk and am wondering about the rear axle locker. 

Can you tell me if your year's version of the Trailhawk has one?  Or is it maybe something you get when you don't get the V8?

not sure on the details, but all Trailhawks came with the "Quadra Drive II" 4wd system which includes a transfer case capable of AWD, 4-hi and 4-low plus some sort of electronic locker/limited slip in both axles. 4-low mode also acts as a center-diff-lock. everything is based on which traction mode you put the vehicle in though, it's a "smart" system and i don't think there's any way to activate the lockers individually/manually.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theksmith said:

not sure on the details, but all Trailhawks came with the "Quadra Drive II" 4wd system which includes a transfer case capable of AWD, 4-hi and 4-low plus some sort of electronic locker/limited slip in both axles. 4-low mode also acts as a center-diff-lock. everything is based on which traction mode you put the vehicle in though, it's a "smart" system and i don't think there's any way to activate the lockers individually/manually.

@HeyOK might be thinking of the Cherokee Trailhawk as opposed to the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. The "plain old Cherokee" Trailhawk comes with a factory rear locker in addition to electronic "brake lock" slip. Folks mix those up all the time! 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the replies.

Yes, I believe that I am considering the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and Cherokee Trailhawk as the same vehicle.  That must be my mistake.

I really want a Trailhawk as an upgrade to my daily driver which is a 2013 Ford Explorer.  I like the Explorer but it has so little ground clearance that I really don't like to drive it anywhere that isn't on pavement.

When I have to go off road, I have a 2007 Rubicon on 37s but often in my day job when I normally drive the Explorer, I need to drive up snowy mountains or deeply rutted fields or roads.

This probably isn't the place, but can you help me decide between a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and Cherokee Trailhawk? Maybe even the best year to get if I go for a used one?

@Bradywgn71  Can you help out HeyOK with some advice/experience?

14 hours ago, HeyOK said:

Thank you both for the replies.

Yes, I believe that I am considering the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and Cherokee Trailhawk as the same vehicle.  That must be my mistake.

I really want a Trailhawk as an upgrade to my daily driver which is a 2013 Ford Explorer.  I like the Explorer but it has so little ground clearance that I really don't like to drive it anywhere that isn't on pavement.

When I have to go off road, I have a 2007 Rubicon on 37s but often in my day job when I normally drive the Explorer, I need to drive up snowy mountains or deeply rutted fields or roads.

This probably isn't the place, but can you help me decide between a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and Cherokee Trailhawk? Maybe even the best year to get if I go for a used one?

The Cherokee is the KL and is the smaller of the two. I don't know what all the Trailhawk edition included but I believe it's the only version of the KL with a real 4-low range. @4x4tographer had a KL at one time, maybe he can chime in.

The Grand Cherokee was the WK2 till 2022 and and is now the Grand Cherokee "L" (the L has a squinty grill/headlights and slightly bigger body). The Grand Cherokee has always been the more luxurious model as well as larger than the regular Cherokee. In the WK2, the Trailhawk comes with air suspension that can lift/lower as well as all the fancy 4wd modes. However, it was possible to order other editions of the WK2 with the Quadra Drive II system as well. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, HeyOK said:

Hi Kris,

As mentioned the WK2 Trailhawks come with quadra drive which is a ELSD rear end - electronic limited slip diff. The front uses the braking system. The QD is a good system, but personally, i'm not a fan of air suspension, which is part of QD.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:40 AM, HeyOK said:

You definitely want the WK2 over the plain Cherokee.

• Like 2

Thank so much for the info/tips!

I now have my sights set on a 2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - I think!

• Like 2