theksmith

Freya: Aimee's 2021 WK2 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8

I did it!

So many gadgets - I feel like I should take a class.

20221121_123946.jpg.c7f53810d240502a12e3c5d8adf7733b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, HeyOK said:

I did it!

congrats! the right color and everything! ;) 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, theksmith said:

congrats! the right color and everything! ;) 

Uhhhh, Firecracker Red is ALWAYS the right color! 🎆😆

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, HeyOK said:

I did it!

Nice Grand! You're gonna love it!

• Like 1

Freya got a tow-rope and soft shackle from Santa this year.

AL9nZEXmd60aOqESktPV1e3LhFzxyY5YX2500SLB

• Like 4

Freya hit 25k miles and was treated to an oil change and multi-point inspection spa day at the dealership, then i changed her air filter... and she got new tires!

those Falcon's AT3/W wore out in 25k miles. one was at 2/32nds tread and the others were at 4. i've rotated them at every oil change (5k miles) and they did wear very evenly. we never had any noise or vibration issues.

i've not heard of anyone else wearing out AT3/W's that fast, nor did the guys at Discount Tire. i'm hoping we just got some from a bad batch because we went with them again for the replacements. at least the new ones were less than half price thanks to Falcon's 55k mileage warranty, but we still had to pay for mounting/balancing and insurance certs again.

you never seem to realize how worn your tires really are until you see the tread depth on the shiny new ones:

AIL4fc-CeiF4c7JNTTdakRg3XVDxLIGSNNebK-Qh

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 7

On 7/10/2023 at 6:28 AM, theksmith said:

Freya hit 25k miles and was treated to an oil change and multi-point inspection spa day at the dealership, then i changed her air filter... and she got new tires!

those Falcon's AT3/W wore out in 25k miles. one was at 2/32nds tread and the others were at 4. i've rotated them at every oil change (5k miles) and they did wear very evenly. we never had any noise or vibration issues.

i've not heard of anyone else wearing out AT3/W's that fast, nor did the guys at Discount Tire. i'm hoping we just got some from a bad batch because we went with them again for the replacements. at least the new ones were less than half price thanks to Falcon's 55k mileage warranty, but we still had to pay for mounting/balancing and insurance certs again.

you never seem to realize how worn your tires really are until you see the tread depth on the shiny new ones:

AIL4fc-CeiF4c7JNTTdakRg3XVDxLIGSNNebK-Qh

Nice tires and rims; I have the same setup. My first set of Wildpeaks lasted me about 40-45k miles. I had some front end issues which caused inner wear.

On my second set now and got the front end fixed.

• Like 1

we've rented travel trailers several times now from RVshare to tow with Freya. fortunately they all included a Curt Echo bluetooth inline brake controller. however, i decided it was time to go ahead and  permanently mount our own controller.

i selected the Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty because everything is hidden except a small control knob. it also has excellent reviews and Redarc has a great reputation. besides the controller itself, i really just needed the TPH-004 harness for plug-n-play wiring since our WK2 came with the tow package.

ADCreHf2N11AgR-ParJ49v-3Ph7tkg1NRzmmdRxR

the plastic "brain" box can be oriented in any direction, which makes that part easier than traditional controllers. i zip-tied it to a metal bracket that the OEM OBD-II port is attached to.

the factory female plug that the control harness mates with is well hidden in the dash above the parking brake. some nice person on the internet made the photo below, otherwise i'd still be looking for it!

ADCreHdDV8rgp9PeywNx8vzjVM6zKNNzHcYRQzSY

i elected to also purchase the universal bezel because i thought it would make the install look more factory than having just a knob. Redarc also offers dedicated bezels to match 2 different Toyota OEM switch panels.

i had to take apart the knee-panel trim area to install the control knob. mainly just to ensure that i wasn't going to drill into anything important. note that if you have the airbag behind that panel, DO NOT PRY on the trim directly in front of it or you will damage the panel. i found the PDF instructions below which show how to remove the whole knee panel correctly. i also found this thread on JeepGarage forum with some helpful photos.

WK2_Knee_blocker_airbag_removal.pdf

the universal bezel comes with a template for marking where to drill 2 holes. be sure you drill the upper one before you do the large one.

ADCreHdrdEBqdNUAWHWuvL9T8_Ke6ZDVacm_VprU

next was the nerve-wracking point of no-return, drilling the main 1" hole. this had to go through the trim panel as well as a plastic support structure behind it.

ADCreHezKW7SkjM-YmTnd6NV8Eu1wm_khLMEYDR9

after you fish the Tow-Pro RJ-45 cable out through the hole and plug it into the control knob, the bezel/module just snaps in place.

ADCreHf0iaUlQasiFO0VlZJCXfdShVpdv9ucXz5l

i'm happy with how it came out. it's easy to reach but not intrusive looking.

ADCreHehQ6wMr17RZsaMa6agerepiEc7CmuL4Y6L

there's a RGB LED behind the knob that provides status and error info via various colors and blinking patterns. it doesn't light up unless a trailer is attached - unless you press it and then it just gives one blue pulse if everything is hooked up correctly.

when a trailer is attached, pressing the knob manually actives the trailer brakes. the only setting is turning the knob to dial in the braking force from 0 to 10.

ADCreHeySZBlBXLTDDEbAs4lJPzafoti7FXRl1UK

i noticed the well-known Tekonsha company is also now making a hidden-except-for-the-knob controller too. theirs has a bluetooth connection that lets you store multiple profiles in case you frequently switch between different size/weight trailers. it competes more with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite as it offers proportional and timed braking modes. 

i went with the Redarc Liberty because their knob is less chunky looking than Tekonsha's and i didn't see the need for any extra complexity with our scenario.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6

Looks good Kris...  ;)    

• Thanks 1

Clean install Kris……as usual.

• Thanks 1