GRUNT

Flat Spotting

I bought brand new BFG Mud Terrains at the beginning of the summer from Discount Tire. Drove her a bit before parking for the summer. She sat for a few months with only periodic movement forward or to the rear by about a foot to move things through the yard. I didn't drive her because I thought I had a bigger transmission leak. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago when I started to drive her around the neighborhood. I noticed it had a clumpy feel as we went around the flat neighborhood roads. It would appear that my tires got a bit of a flat spot on them for parking for a couple months. Is this something that will go away with me driving on them? Will I need to go get them rebalanced now and then put some miles on to improve the ride? Or, as I hate to ask, did I ruin a brand new set of tires? Thank you.

I'd think a good drive at "not neighborhood speeds" will warm them up and get them back in shape. This used to happen to my Geolandars a lot in the winter when we lived in Ohio. The pressure would get a little low and the winter chill would firm up the rubber. About 10 minutes of 45mph smoothed them back out.

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 4

A few miles of driving should do the trick...   Pretty common issue caused by lengthy periods of no use. ;)

• Like 1

Something to consider next time your rig might sit for an extended period of time.  Jack it up and put jack stands under the frame or somewhere else that allows the weight of the vehicle to be off of the tires, so the tires are off the ground.  Seems like a hassle, I know, just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

• Like 2

Something else I remembered this morning is that it's actually not good to let a vehicle sit for long periods of time.  It's suggested that if a vehicle is going to sit it should be driven a minimum of once a week for at least 15 mins., maybe even 20-30 mins.  With the pandemic going on and people working from home I've seen stories on the news talking about that as people are not driving as much.

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1