I was reorganizing/ inventorying our toolbox(s) in the Jeep today and was questioning myself, to much or not enough? This is most of ours sans fluids (oil, brake fluid, ATF and gear oil. That's in another box) snacks, water and such are also hidden about the rig as are dog treats.

IMG_20201206_113907.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think it's too much. :) I'd be a little curious to see a list out of what you're packing there? I'm always afraid I'm missing something critical. 

I'm seeing at least 5 rolls of tape. One looks electrical. What are the others? The wire/cable is a darn good idea too.

I also have to admit that I don't carry spare fluids. I really should. I'll have to add that to my project list.

I recently upped my organization game and am in love with this hand made tool roll from BROG that I scored a deal on a little while back.

• Like 2

what's the yellow thing in the middle with outlets?

i think i see zip-ties in there and maybe bailing wire - do you have JB Weld?

i used to carry all this in the WJ, but i've slimmed the tools and spare parts down a lot over the past few years:

P1040407b.jpg

i also don't currently have spare fluids... i keep meaning to figure out how/where to store them in the JK but haven't done so yet. you can see the 64oz Nalgene bottles above that i had all the major fluids stored in, but those went with the WJ when i sold it.

there's more info on my previous tools/supplies setup here...

and there's a thread about general parts & supplies to carry which has some great ideas.

we also have an old discussion on bug-out-bag contents (preparedness/survival items) which might be of interest to some of you.

P1070049.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theksmith said:

Yellow thing looks like a power inverter maybe?  I know we have a 500 watt inverter in our rig, use it to power the pump to fill air mattresses.

Y'all carry a lot more stuff in your rigs compared to me though.  🤔

Edited by Trail Toy

1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

Yellow thing looks like a power inverter maybe?  I know we have a 500 watt inverter in our rig, use it to power the pump to fill air mattresses.

Y'all carry a lot more stuff in your rigs compared to me though.  🤔

there's something to be said for keeping it light!

besides, if you're not doing extreme trails then carrying welding materials and spare axles shafts would just be silly overkill.

we used to do a ton of long-distance overland/expedition trips. we'd end up in places that required 2 days of slow 4x4 crawling and then several hours of highway before you'd reach an auto parts store - so that's why i carried so many spare parts for the WJ that most people would think was crazy (like an alternator, PS pump, sensors, etc.). Lafawnduh was also an old high mileage rig, so more prone to those things reaching end-of-life during a trip.

good basic requirements for most people:

1. water, emergency snacks, and a couple days of any important prescriptions
  2. a small first-aid kit, and some basic survival supplies (space blanket, flashlight, cell phone charger)
  3. basic recovery stuff (shovel, tow strap, shackles, gloves)
  4. tire repair kit and compressor
  5. a jack that works for sure on your rig (and lug wrench)
  6. lithium jump-starter, or at least jumper-cables
  7. fire extinguisher

great to have if you're handy enough to use them:

1. basic tools - hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench, multi-screwdriver, a good knife, etc.
  2. generic fix-it supplies like duct-tape, bailing wire, JB-weld, zip ties, fluids (ATF/oil/brake)
  3. vehicle-specific parts - idler pulley, serpentine belt, the crank-position-sensor on older 4.0L engine, axle shafts if rock-crawling, etc.
  4. extended recovery stuff - a winch, tree saver, traction boards, snatch block, winch extension line/strap, hi-lift

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, theksmith said:

there's something to be said for keeping it light!

besides, if you're not doing extreme trails then carrying welding materials and spare axles shafts would just be silly overkill.

we used to do a ton of long-distance overland/expedition trips. we'd end up in places that required 2 days of slow 4x4 crawling and then several hours of highway before you'd reach an auto parts store - so that's why i carried so many spare parts for the WJ that most people would think was crazy (like an alternator, PS pump, sensors, etc.). Lafawnduh was also an old high mileage rig, so more prone to those things reaching end-of-life during a trip.

good basic requirements for most people:

1. water, emergency snacks, and a couple days of any important prescriptions
  2. a small first-aid kit, and some basic survival supplies (space blanket, flashlight, cell phone charger)
  3. basic recovery stuff (shovel, tow strap, shackles, gloves)
  4. tire repair kit and compressor
  5. a jack that works for sure on your rig (and lug wrench)
  6. lithium jump-starter, or at least jumper-cables
  7. fire extinguisher

great to have if you're handy enough to use them:

1. basic tools - hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench, multi-screwdriver, a good knife, etc.
  2. generic fix-it supplies like duct-tape, bailing wire, JB-weld, zip ties, fluids (ATF/oil/brake)
  3. vehicle-specific parts - idler pulley, serpentine belt, the crank-position-sensor on older 4.0L engine, axle shafts if rock-crawling, etc.
  4. extended recovery stuff - a winch, tree saver, traction boards, snatch block, winch extension line/strap, hi-lift

There's a few things on your list I don't have and should.  Gonna have to see about stealing a few tools from my tool box and possibly buying a few things to keep in my rig.  Really appreciate all the info being shared so green horns like myself can learn. 😎

Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theksmith said:

A 175 watt inverter, nothing fancy but it will charge her camera batteries and run the air mattress pump

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theksmith said:

Of course, and 5 min epoxy and duct tape

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

I don't think it's too much. :) I'd be a little curious to see a list out of what you're packing there? I'm always afraid I'm missing something critical. 

I'm seeing at least 5 rolls of tape. One looks electrical. What are the others? The wire/cable is a darn good idea too.

I also have to admit that I don't carry spare fluids. I really should. I'll have to add that to my project list.

I recently upped my organization game and am in love with this hand made tool roll from BROG that I scored a deal on a little while back.

Couple of rolls of standard electrical tape, rubber splicing tape, cloth insulator tape and a roll of silicone repair tape( hose repair). I play with power for a living so of course I run heavy towards the electrical.

• Thanks 1