Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

7/24-7/31/10: Ouray, CO, 4x4, Camping

We're home! Lots of great pictures - we're going to have to sift through them & post up. How nice to come home to 90* weather today! We were afraid we'd die when we hit the valley. . . d :rolleyes:

I'm going to try something new with this Trip Report: I'll put up a day at a time. That way you'll see if faster than if I wait till it's all done to post. If it takes me a couple of days, it takes me a couple of days.

Saturday, July 24th, we left the house at O'Dark-Thirty headed northeast on Hwy. 87

DSCN2981.JPG

We met Goose & Scott w/ Mason & Moose in Payson, and caravanned from there.

DSCN2982.JPG

It rained pretty much from Cortez to Ouray. This was in Rico, CO:

DSCN2987.JPG

Trout Lake:

DSCN2990.JPG

We got to the KOA & set to unloading & setting up. This picture of camp taken Sunday morning.

DSCN2991.JPG

Driving through Ouray on the way to the trail Sunday morning:

DSCN2992.JPG

Going up Hwy. 550 on the way to our 1st trailride.

DSCN2995.JPG

Our 1st Trail was Poughkeepsie Gulch. In attendance were JKGoose, theksmith, scottl, Number 7, stockjeep & their friends Gunther & Marci from Durango, and George's friend TanTJJim from the VJC. At the trailhead:

DSCN3128.JPG

George said the electric fan on Number 7 wasn't working right, so he and TanJim re-wired it while we aired down. There were a lot of vehicles at the trailhead while we were there.

DSCN2998.JPG

DSCN2999.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

Poughkeepsie Gulch is rated a Difficult - and the Jeep Rental companies up there won't let you take their Jeeps up Poughkeepsie Gulch, because of one main obstacle: The Wall. Other than that it was an easy 4x4 road alongside a stream.

Right away we came to this rock in the road that was completely by-passable, but which TanJim and stockjeep went over, and Number 7 turtled on! It was an odd feeling being on our belly, and an ominous way to start the vacation; luckily George got a bite and we backed down off it.

DSCN3004.JPG

The road goes up on a shelf alongside the stream:

DSCN3008.JPG

DSCN3010.JPG

DSCN3012.JPG

Further up:

DSCN3030.JPG

Gunther tried to go up an obstacle he knows of alongside the trail, but it was to remain only a dream. TanJim tried it too but we concluded it was meant for buggies.

DSCN3032.JPG

DSCN3034.JPG

DSCN3037.JPG

Our next stop was The Wall. There's an open area at the bottom of this obstacle where spectators gather to watch vehicles climb up. If you look closely, you'll see the deer that ran through while we were there:

DSCN3073.JPG

Our group getting ready to go:

DSCN3052.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

There are basically 3 ways to climb The Wall, the right is easiest, the middle is hardest, and the left is somewhere in the middle. Gunther went 1st; had a bit of trouble on the left-most line and had to turn right to keep going. Then George went up it on a slightly different line and it worked, so he stayed up there and spotted others on it, including Gunther who had to do it again and made it without incidence the 2nd time.

DSCN3054.JPG

Scott going up the left:

DSCN3057.JPG

TanJim went up the middle - which George named 'The Can Opener'

DSCN3064.JPG

Stockjeep clearing the left line:

DSCN3066.JPG

theksmith & JKGoose going up the 'easy' line on the right:

DSCN3072.JPG

DSCN3075.JPG

And then it was on to Lake Como to meet Brian & Etti (Xiled1 on VJC & friends of George & TanTJJim) for lunch

DSCN3090.JPG

DSCN3095.JPG

DSCN3093.JPG

Leaving Lake Como after lunch:

DSCN3099.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

We went up over a pass down into California Gulch. From the top of the pass looking back at Lake Como:

DSCN3107.JPG

Looking toward California Gulch:

DSCN3109.JPG

DSCN3110.JPG

We stopped at these mining ruins along the way:

DSCN3112.JPG

And we stopped at Animas Forks to have a look around:

DSCN3122.JPG

DSCN3117.JPG

From there we went back to Ouray by way of Mineral Creek, which I drove, and thus have no pictures of. Here's the group almost back to the air-up spot:

DSCN3123.JPG

All of my pictures from the 1st day are located here:

Poughkeepsie Gulch Pictures

Day 2 and Imogine Pass next! d :rolleyes:

Our 2nd day in Ouray started with a stop in Ridgeway for fuel and to try on headwear. George won the 'Most Suitable Hat' Award wearing this Orange-Camo creation:

DSCN3129.JPG

From there it was on down Hwy. 62 toward Placerville. We turned off on Last Dollar Road; a graded road to Telluride, where we would start the trail for the day: Imogine Pass. In attendance was JKGoose, theksmith, scottl, team Daydreamin', stockjeep and Number 7.

Do you see the deer that just ran in front of Russ & Annabel's Jeep in this picture?

DSCN3131.JPG

DSCN3136.JPG

Aired down & ready, I took the wheel & tailgunner position.

DSCN3137.JPG

DSCN3142.JPG

DSCN3147.JPG

Snacks & Restroom-Break at San Miguel Country Store:

DSCN3150.JPG

Looking sharp as we parade through Telluride on our way to Oak Street and the trailhead:

DSCN3157.JPG

The trail immediately climbs up a shelf road with views of Telluride and Black Bear Pass across the valley:

DSCN3158.JPG

DSCN3167.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

We stopped at some mining ruins to have a look around, and drove a little further where we had lunch at the mining town of Tomboy (I think)

DSCN3177.JPG

DSCN3176.JPG

DSCN3181.JPG

At lunch Goose was surprised to hear his phone ring, and even more surprised that he could take the call from Terri his wife without losing the signal.

DSCN3195.JPG

He did sit pretty still though:

DSCN3194.JPG

And then it was on to Imogine Pass:

DSCN3208.JPG

It's an easy trail with some steep sections. The last switchback from the top is pretty intense; I was able to cut in close and make the turn. I would hate to have to back up there - it was STEEP!

DSCN3214.JPG

A Jeep Tour passenger was filming us on the way up - I wish I could see the video!

DSCN3217.JPG

Reaching the top:

DSCN3218.JPG

DSCN3221.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

From the summit at Imogine Pass we went over to another lookout spot where we took in these views:

DSCN3223.JPG

DSCN3224.JPG

DSCN3225.JPG

And then headed down toward Camp Bird Mine

DSCN3228.JPG

Where we found this open invitation to explore

DSCN3236.JPG

And this is what we found:

DSCN3254.JPG

DSCN3244.JPG

DSCN3253.JPG

Earlier, as we had entered the Camp Bird Mine, thekdude tried to go in over a dam near a tailings pile, but he couldn't figure out if you could actually get through that way. As we left, George checked it out and found it doable, so we crossed this narrow earthen dam on the way out.

DSCN3266.JPG

And then just followed the road out to Ouray.

DSCN3273.JPG

DSCN3285.JPG

To see all my pictures from the 2nd Day, click here: Imogine Pass Pictures

Stay tuned for Day 3 - Corkscrew Gulch and others! d :rolleyes:

Tuesday morning we left Ouray bright and early & headed down Hwy. 550 for the Corkscrew Gulch trailhead. In attendance for the day's trailride were JKGoose, theksmith who rode with scottl & team Number 7.

Here's our view of Ouray as we were leaving town:

DSCN3287.JPG

The views as we climbed up Corkscrew Gulch were spectacular:

DSCN3295.JPG

DSCN3296.JPG

We stopped at the top for a minute to enjoy the views and then started down into California Gulch to make our way over to Picayune Gulch:

DSCN3305.JPG

DSCN3309.JPG

Another specatular view of Lake Como:

DSCN3317.JPG

As we made our way down California Gulch we came upon a community of marmots who let us take their pictures. This one couldn't take it's eyes off Scott's Blue XJ:

DSCN3323.JPG

We stopped at this stream to eat lunch and then headed over toward Picayune Gulch and stopped at several mine ruins along the way.

DSCN3325.JPG

DSCN3328.JPG

DSCN3329.JPG

Continued

V

V

V

DSCN3330.JPG

DSCN3333.JPG

DSCN3337.JPG

DSCN3338.JPG

Overlooking Picayune Gulch: