reybie

Hazed / fogged up headlights

Does anyone have leads on someone that does headlight restoration? The haze on my headlight is just bugging me. I had tried to do it myself before but it just takes too much time for me so I'd rather just pay someone to do it. If I remember correctly, this would be the third time, I'm not sure what it is that makes it haze/fog up so fast.

I saw some aftermarket ones on Amazon but I was told that those aren't DOT approved or something like that so I scrapped that idea.

I did some research on this a couple months ago and restoring your headlights is basically a waste of money.  You'll be lucky if you get more than a year to maybe a year and a half out of it before they are hazed over again.  I ended up buying new headlights for my JKU from Amazon, there are plenty of DOT approved options out there.  You do have to pay close attention though, it can be tricky distinguishing between headlights that are or are not DOT approved.

Here's a set I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2LVC3N/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Jeep%7C42&Model=Grand+Cherokee%7C349&Year=2012%7C2012&ie=UTF8&newVehicle=1&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive&th=1

Another set on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ACANII-2011-2013-Headlights-Headlamps-Replacement/dp/B07GX34WN2/ref=sr_1_61?dchild=1&keywords=2012+jeep+grand+cherokee+dot+headlights&qid=1609192535&replacementKeywords=dot+headlights&sr=1-61&vehicle=2012-42-349------------&vehicleName=2012+Jeep+Grand+Cherokee

Found more on Amazon from various manufacturers at various prices that are DOT approved.  😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reybie said:

Does anyone have leads on someone that does headlight restoration? The haze on my headlight is just bugging me. I had tried to do it myself before but it just takes too much time for me so I'd rather just pay someone to do it. If I remember correctly, this would be the third time, I'm not sure what it is that makes it haze/fog up so fast.

I saw some aftermarket ones on Amazon but I was told that those aren't DOT approved or something like that so I scrapped that idea.

they haze up again because the UV protective coating is also removed along with the haze when being buffed. some DIY kits, like this one include a UV protective spray as the final step.

though maybe it's just time for a new set! ;) actual Mopar ones are probably going to run over $200 each. you might look at the aftermarket brand "Spyder" as they have been around a long time and seem fairly reputable. IMO, i wouldn't be too concerned about DOT approved or not.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Good info... hmm this is not good, if I have the headlights replaced, I might get tempted to have the grill replaced also or have it painted properly 😆. Thanks for the links and the tip on Spyder.

• Like 2