4x4tographer

Electrical Interference / Baofeng Fix

Stumbled across the solution for electrical interference related to my Baofeng handheld (UV5R) ham radio!

Wanted to share the fix in the event others are having a similar issue. This solutions *should* work across related Baofengs as well.

Somewhere in my Jeep JL there is signal interference that is causing fairly rhythmic static to be picked up by the handheld. I've been able to make it "better and worse" by moving the radio around the cabin, but the only way to totally mitigate it was to get it as far away from the center console as possible (i.e., hanging it out of the darn window).

In my particular case, the interference was coming from my handbrake and aux switches. When the brake is pulled, or I have an aux button pressed, some poorly shielded wire is giving off interference that the Baofeng it picking up. I tried messing with the squelch, pushing it all the way up to "9", the max, with little effect.

The reason behind this is that, from the factory, these radios are programmed with a pretty weak/passive squelch range that doesn't even cover the radio's full capability, with stronger interference still breaking through no matter how high you've set the level.

The solution is to reprogram your squelch range to be more aggressive. Here, you'll see the factory original squelch "strength" versus the new, much more aggressive settings.

image.png.8e6d1ce57438ed495522f08eb8d76e44.png

My particular radio supports a max squelch setting of 105. The original max setting was 22. Quite the difference.

What you'll need:

Next up, check out this site for more detailed instructions on how to reprogram your radio. This page also goes more in depth as to the "why" behind what is happening with your radio.

In summary, you will:

• Connect your radio via USB
  • Launch CHIRP
  • Turn on the radio, volume at 100%
  • Download your radios settings via USB
  • Find the appropriate tab for your squelch settings (mine was under settings>>service settings)
  • Input your new squelch ranges for VHF and UFH
  • Upload the new image back to the radio
  • Test it!
  • Rinse and repeat for best results

During the ORP Holiday Party I got to use my freshly reprogrammed radio with the new squelch settings and it operated flawlessly. With squelch setting "4" selected, I was able to hear everyone's transmissions and zero aggravating interference from the Jeep. :)

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

nice!!!

@scottL needs to do this

• Like 1

I'm thinking the same now that I have that external antenna.  My radio seems better after using my new antenna but I'm sure there's room for improvement by adjusting the squelch.  Since I have the exact same radio as Ryan maybe I can sweet talk him into setting mine up for me, hint, hint...  Know what I mean?  Nudge, nudge.  Say no more.  LOL!

monty python wink GIF

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Stumbled across the solution for electrical interference related to my Baofeng handheld (UV5R) ham radio!

Wanted to share the fix in the event others are having a similar issue. This solutions *should* work across related Baofengs as well.

Somewhere in my Jeep JL there is signal interference that is causing fairly rhythmic static to be picked up by the handheld. I've been able to make it "better and worse" by moving the radio around the cabin, but the only way to totally mitigate it was to get it as far away from the center console as possible (i.e., hanging it out of the darn window).

In my particular case, the interference was coming from my handbrake and aux switches. When the brake is pulled, or I have an aux button pressed, some poorly shielded wire is giving off interference that the Baofeng it picking up. I tried messing with the squelch, pushing it all the way up to "9", the max, with little effect.

The reason behind this is that, from the factory, these radios are programmed with a pretty weak/passive squelch range that doesn't even cover the radio's full capability, with stronger interference still breaking through no matter how high you've set the level.

The solution is to reprogram your squelch range to be more aggressive. Here, you'll see the factory original squelch "strength" versus the new, much more aggressive settings.

image.png.8e6d1ce57438ed495522f08eb8d76e44.png

My particular radio supports a max squelch setting of 105. The original max setting was 22. Quite the difference.

What you'll need:

Next up, check out this site for more detailed instructions on how to reprogram your radio. This page also goes more in depth as to the "why" behind what is happening with your radio.

In summary, you will:

• Connect your radio via USB
  • Launch CHIRP
  • Turn on the radio, volume at 100%
  • Download your radios settings via USB
  • Find the appropriate tab for your squelch settings (mine was under settings>>service settings)
  • Input your new squelch ranges for VHF and UFH
  • Upload the new image back to the radio
  • Test it!
  • Rinse and repeat for best results

During the ORP Holiday Party I got to use my freshly reprogrammed radio with the new squelch settings and it operated flawlessly. With squelch setting "4" selected, I was able to hear everyone's transmissions and zero aggravating interference from the Jeep. :)

Well Done Ryan ! ! ! ! !   Should be helpful to anyone running into squelch issues with their Hand held Barfongs...   May also be helpful to other, and allow them to go research whether their radios are squelch adjustable in a similar fashion... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way cool, Ryan! Who would've thunk. 🤔

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

I'm thinking the same now that I have that external antenna.  My radio seems better after using my new antenna but I'm sure there's room for improvement by adjusting the squelch.  Since I have the exact same radio as Ryan maybe I can sweet talk him into setting mine up for me, hint, hint...  Know what I mean?  Nudge, nudge.  Say no more.  LOL!

Of course man! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, theksmith said:

nice!!!

@scottL needs to do this

mine interferes with the satellite radio, noise goes away when I turn it off but I need the beats.

This will require technical assistance from my electrician..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottL said:

mine interferes with the satellite radio, noise goes away when I turn it off but I need the beats.

This will require technical assistance from my electrician..

just loan me your Baofeng next time we go out and i'll re-align the warp core for you

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

I had forgotten about this rather valuable information for some reason.  @Trail Toy reminded me of it on the Harquahala run so I owe him a thank you. I had to update some channels in my Baofeng so while I was in there I reset my squelch settings.  I will test them out on the next run.

• Like 3

You are welcome good sir! 😎