theksmith

Glitter Mountain in Northern AZ (near St. George, UT)

Next time any of us are headed to Sand Hollow or near the AZ Strip, we should check out Glitter Mountain. It's an old Gypsum (selenite) mine where the ground is scattered with crystals!

Photo-Sep-09-2-04-04-PM-1025x1367.jpg

Old Gypsum Crystal Mine

Littlefield, AZ 86432

Google Maps link....

Here's an article with a little more info on the place.

If you go, be sure to respect the mine claim owner's wishes:

"...the mine does have an active mining claim on it, and the owner of that claim has requested that people do not enter the pit, or break out new chunks of gypsum. The claimant has actually enjoyed the excitement about the mine, and agrees that it is fun for explorers of all ages to find and learn about the minerals in the earth, but is concerned about people getting hurt and the liabilities associated with it."

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Good lord, my family would have a field day scrounging up some treasures there! 😵

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

Good lord, my family would have a field day scrounging up some treasures there! 😵

ROAD TRIP!

ace ventura film GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes!!

Sounds like a good road trip.

driving road trip GIF

• Like 1

Nice find, K! We are SO in! I've wanted to visit Littlefield. While shopping for a new house in Mohave County, very affordable properties in Littlefield continually popped up, and often included amazing photos of their views.  If it weren't so remote I'd have been tempted to move there.

I also found an old 4x4 magazine article that G saved describing an adventure near Logandale, NV (also in the AZ Strip, near the Nevada side of Lake Mead) that we want to examine more closely. I think there are enough attractions in that area, that we could explore for days.  

• Like 1

Sounds like a multi day trip, good times!

• Like 1