Hello all!  I am new to the forum and just wanted to put a feeler post out.  I have a 2005 4 door tacoma with 4wd and am, for the most part, living near Lake Tahoe, CA.  Looking for trails and campsites near the area as I am somewhat new to the area, and completely new to owning any 4wd vehicle.  Looking forward to diving into this world of overlanding!

• Like 3

Welcome to Off Road Passport, hope you find what you're looking for.

welcome captain GIF

• Like 1

Hello and welcome! You are in a mecca of amazing trails from maintained forest roads to hard core rock-crawling trails. I don't know what your truck is rated for, but I'm sure you have a wide selection regardless. 

welcome! have any good photos of your Tacoma to share?

i don't think we have any current club members right in the Tahoe area, but hopefully you'll still find some good info within the site. try to hook up with a local club so you can learn first-hand from the more experienced folks - plus it's safer to wheel with a group (if something breaks, or you get stuck, etc.).

as far as finding trails, i'd highly recommend the 2 classic offroad books:

the Massey book is FULL of trails for stock 4x4s, i'd say anything up to a 5 would OK if you're still stock (note they rate on a 1 to 10 difficulty instead of the typical 5 scale).

the Wells book has trails of all levels, but stick to their "easy" trails for now if you're rig is stock and you are new to all this. this one is out of stock till end of January everywhere.

both books have GPS coords included, but are mainly written so you can navigate the trail just by zeroing your odometer at the start.

also, trailsoffroad.com is a great online resource if you do have a GPS device (dedicated or phone app) - you download the "tracks" file from their site for use on your device. they have way more trails in certain areas than others, so check out what's available near you on their site before buying an "all-access" membership.

you might also check out the OnX Offroad app. in addition to being a decent mapping/GPS app, it has popular 4x4 trails highlighted (again some areas more than others).

be sure to go prepared (emergency supplies, etc.)! we've got several different threads on here about bug-out bags and what tools & supplies everyone typically carries - have fun browsing the site.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I will have to get some good pictures of my truck, even thought it is 99% stock still.  Looking forward to getting out there!

• Like 3