reybie

My GC doesn't seem as 'planted' to the road after tire change

Looking for input from you guys more mechanically inclined than me lol. I noticed after the tire change a month or so ago that at higher speeds (65+) the jeep doesn't feel as firm to the ground as it used to. I had an alignment done at the local Big O and that helped some but still doesn't feel like before. Maybe the old MTs were too dang rough I didn't notice? Naah. I'm going to have the tires rebalanced in the next couple of days to see if it helps.

• Like 1

did you change tire size? i know when i went from 33's to 35's on my WJ, just the additional sidewall flex took some getting used to.

you went with those Falkens right? what PSI are you running?

I lost some height and gained width. #1 is the MT, #2 is the Falken. Right now about 32PSI

image.png.c45a8ac2e4a78c710559b953f4229087.png

Posted (edited)

More width will definitely make a difference.  I know it's not much but a wider tire makes more contact with the road and the "grooves" in the road.  Extra contact will be more noticeable especially on the freeway at higher speeds, wider tires will "track" more because of the extra contact.

Edited by Trail Toy

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, Trail Toy said:

More width will definitely make a difference.  I know it's not much but a wider tire makes more contact with the road and the "grooves" in the road.  Extra contact will be more noticeable especially on the freeway at higher speeds, wider tires will "track" more because of the extra contact.

i was thinking along the same lines... the new wider and possibly stickier (newer rubber) tires might actually be gripping and planted well, but therefore exposing some worn item in your steering or suspension - TRE's, ball-joints, etc. maybe double check all your joints/bushings for any play.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Ok, thanks. I will have to get this checked out.

I've been slacking and forgot to post this. I went and took the GC to another shop that does mainly alignments (that should teach me lol).

It drives much better now. The wider rubber does feel a little bit different coming from mud terrains. 

PXL_20210620_184045536~2.jpg

• Like 2