theksmith

Fiona: 2009 Wrangler X (B's First Car!)

Just now, theksmith said:

recently installed the Dominion/Jeep Swag evap canister relocation kit to move the canister over the rear axle where it can't get smashed on anything. a cheaper, and IMO better solution, than adding a skid-plate.

AJFCJaXDJiKY_w53ykG6LdhobyNsDJKNG5f4LBgW

we also finally found the source of an evap code that was causing a check-engine light. the small evap hose going into the gas tank had broken right at the tank, which is a fairly common issue. Joe at @OnPointOffroad told us that Mopar actually makes a repair kit for it that he's installed many times. i just used a plastic barbed connector with some JB Weld Plastic Bonder, along with a section of rubber hose.

AJFCJaXfee5ioEsMecp4YRHhscftTAYnMD29tCJ4

we asked Joe to give the rig a once-over before B heads off to college with it. the only real issue he noticed was the leaking water pump, which B will be replacing himself soon.

Joe was also able to tell us which TPMS sensor was going bad. we already had a spare and Discount tire swapped it out for us for free since we'd bought all the tires there. with the evap fix turning the MIL back off and the tire warning gone, there's no more yellow lights in the cluster, yay!

we went through all Fiona's emergency supplies, tools, recovery gear, etc. yesterday and only found a couple small things needed before B takes her off to college in a few weeks.

i also forgot to post that B got himself some real rock rails a while back. no more plastic side steps (a.k.a. rock magnets)!

AJFCJaVcMPExf_qaQwbXjkjakTEG2EXSmhl2ohWy

Nice! been looking for a decent relocation kit since I have smashed mine in the past.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4WLNRN said:

Nice! been looking for a decent relocation kit since I have smashed mine in the past.

the Dominion one is the cheapest i've seen and it works just fine. MetalCloak and Nemesis make really nice ones too.

FYI, i used the RockHard one on my rig several years ago and was not impressed with it.

Edited by theksmith

we finally installed a Mopar hardtop wiring kit (part #82210215AI for 07-10 JK's) to get the rear washer/wiper and defroster working.

installing the kit was more involved than we expected. in addition the wiring harness and hose running from front to rear, the kit includes a new steering column control stalk, new climate control panel, and a different washer pump. it also requires splicing and re-pinning multiple connectors under the TIPM in the engine bay and at the gauge cluster.

once all that was done, we still needed to update the PCM to make it actually work. we used the OBDJscan app and a standard bluetooth OBD2 dongle instead of paying the dealership.

AIL4fc-svi1HDwRz3cH8XWeapyiNubB4rrTOiSo6

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1

did an oil change and tire rotation this week, then we had a last minute fix before B and Fiona headed off to college yesterday... the Discount Tire dude noticed the rear sway bar link bushings were almost completely gone (dry-rotted and crumbling away). Amazon Prime delivered these inexpensive replacements in a day and B swapped them out Friday evening.

rolling into Flag yesterday afternoon:

b-jp-mountains.jpg

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Go Jacks!  :)

• Like 4

Fiona is no more. she was hit by a Mini Cooper running a light while Brady was making a left turn - 2 days before Christmas. fortunately Fiona did her job as a big hunk of protective metal and Brady was OK. the other driver was fine too thanks to the Mini's airbags and crumple zones.

ABLVV85Qn51qjBo4CxcGnLQVt1zRj3Aaadvx0ezk

ABLVV85459HKXg33abbNef4ugcsYkL0pSI2mASts

at first glance, it was obvious the front axle had snapped in two, but we thought we might be able to rebuild her...

ABLVV859gATh3jXCPo_CCGNJacT0lPrHfG0Oka3f

however, the door and tub had also been mangled, and then we realized the frame bent allowing the whole front end to shift slightly. so not only was she totalled, but it really wasn't worth buying back from the insurance since we'd need a professional body shop for a lot of the repairs.

ABLVV87kGCOlpbGxbigiobqESihu5EvNRS00nyDe

so we stripped everything that wouldn't increase her valuation - floormats, ditch lights, grab handles, etc.. then we put back any OEM parts we'd saved such as the headlights, speakers, etc. and finally, off she went to the salvage yard.

ABLVV84_rnifKrIQ16d24ok7HRZA2AZJHefCx8n9

once we found out that the assessor was only giving us around $200 for the wheels and tires, we bought 5 factory takeoffs from a llantera downtown for $300 and swapped those for our aftermarket ones. so for $500 invested (and a bit of a PITA labor to swap them at the salvage yard), we got to keep well over $2k worth of wheels/tires (we'd just bought those tires a few months ago). 

then we realized Black Rhino had stopped making those wheels but we needed a replacement for the smashed one! we were very lucky to find one still listed on 4wheelparts.com - it was even discounted since it was the last one they had. and Discount Tire replaced the destroyed tire thanks to the road hazard certs. so B still had no Jeep, but he did have a nice stack of 5 matching wheels and tires!

all of us had been scanning Autotrader, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, Cars.com, KBB, Carvana, etc. on a daily basis trying to find another 2-door JK, with an automatic, hard top, in good shape, and affordable. i can tell you the crazy used car prices have cooled slightly in the past year, but a good deal still goes insanely fast (same day posted usually).

well, fast-forward to last week and we finally found a great replacement for Fiona - so stay tuned for the new build thread!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 2
  • Love 1

The BEST news is that Brady was uninjured.  the tin can be replaced...   ;)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Glad everyone is good.

• Like 2

RIP Fiona . I'm'a pour one out for you homie - and thank you for keeping B outta harms way!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Wow!  I am so glad that Brady is ok!!!

smiles, ladybug

• Like 1