theksmith

Fiona: 2009 Wrangler X (B's First Car)!

2 hours ago, theksmith said:

we managed to figure out how to install the soft top ;)

ACtC-3eRJ6KSzGAqUf8d8hpiBS4y99kMarMeXLc3

i do have a question though... the top of the tailgate just barely covers any of the rubber seal at the bottom of the rear window. i know we have that window's bottom rail clipped into place correctly - so is this just normal? i would have expected the tailgate to nearly completely cover this seal (i.e. the window bar seems like it should sit lower)?

ACtC-3cwRoNSYUyGe5cDFMJMF6XgK-rs3Oe1fOPN

I can't speak to the JK OEM, but the JL OEM soft top has the tailgate door touching at about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way up the seal.

You might try hitting it with a garden hose to see if you get any leaks from natural "roll off" from the window.

You could also have someone jump in the back and shine a flashlight along the seal to see if you can see any light. My understanding is that you should be able to close a 1 dollar bill into the seal and not be able to pull it out without tearing it.

You know, it might also be the photo/reflections - but it looks like the tailgate might be sagging slightly? The crease in the sheet metal of the door and the adjacent tub seems to show the tailgate is a little lower.

thanks Ryan, it seals and doesn't leak even with pressure washing - it just looks wrong to me. as you noted, the tailgate is in fact saggin by maybe an 1/8", but where i'm looking at the window bar seems well over a 1/2" too high from where i was expecting the tailgate to meet it. i don't see any possible way it could be in wrong, just looks wrong. 

anyone here with a JK soft top that can compare how yours sits?

• Like 1

Congrats "B"...   Sweet looking ride... ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brady had the day off from school (Good Friday) so we spent the morning working on Fiona.

the joints at the t-case end of both driveshafts were toast. on a 2-door, even a small lift can be too much angle for those factory rzeppas. we replaced the rear with a Teraflex High Angle Rzeppa. the front shaft will need one too, as well as a new slip-boot. we just pulled the front shaft for now and will fix it once we get a few other items taken care of.

ACtC-3c5A-1iaSiiiWKWfJ192r98_kUtNpcq4rSn

the next issue was the center console not being installed correctly and so the hand-brake would not stay all the way down. if you leaned on the console armrest at all, the brake would pop up enough to trigger the warning light & chime while driving.

ACtC-3dO2TZ2r5dRk3JkC_avGkkNcugxpCBMzZZ_

the whole thing was pretty nasty, so brady cleaned it up while i investigated further...

ACtC-3cUOsO-SjOw00CBGmNhaRKJJpTOj2AoANCz

ACtC-3fcDrGpjUnWd-wc4wZHTon9TjIh9A2Dg2zo

it looks like someone recently replaced the carpet with a "custom" job... i.e. they cut and glued outdoor or speaker-box carpet down instead of buying a new factory style replacement. kind of annoying because now it's not removable to wash - but at least it's new! i think this is why half the interior clips and screws were missing too.

the console wasn't sitting correctly because some wiring bundles got out of place and some areas got covered in carpet that shouldn't have. i trimmed up the carpet, tucked wires, bought some screws, and the console fit back in perfectly.

ACtC-3c3y3-VGDtu9HeXUA6fT1fskjk__8MFdM6i

i got some plastic clips we needed to re-install other trim pieces while i was at Autozone and we now have all the interior plastic back how it should be.

another issue was the rear seat wouldn't latch down to the floor. this was because of a poorly installed Bestop Instatrunk (security barrier) being in the way. the Instatrunk was missing 8 of 12 bolts keeping it together... not to mention it was only held in place with 2 drywall screws!

i took care of this one for B by removing it and put it all back together with new carriage bolts from Ace Hardware. since it was missing a couple mounting brackets, i installed four 1/4" rivet nuts into the Jeep's tub and bolted it directly in place.

ACtC-3fkR3AHpxa5Qm0M72kR9QEqfW9_RnZBylPT

Brady took care of installing new door limit straps, one of the old ones was broken and the other was tattered.

ACtC-3fO9_Gyquo5sXCXxa5Q7hAgA9H_IG5Q5P10

he also installed the OEM grab handles i had saved from Gadget - per Aimee's request (being that she's a "height-challenged individual")! ;)

ACtC-3fXIKi6_AgV0QktXzCTLEvgWCeyi8Fr3qqp

one other mod Brady wanted was an LED dome light and i just happened to have an extra LED bulb already, so we put that in:

ACtC-3fRQQ6Kdf4VNKjEXmekVtXs_5W1iM1AJU1W

the seats are still out - Aimee said she would help give them a good scrubbing today.

ACtC-3ee9PGAoWZfzjJ15aegMC0NAPV6qe8J180k

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, theksmith said:

Brady had the day off from school (Good Friday) so we spent the morning working on Fiona.

the joints at the t-case end of both driveshafts were toast. on a 2-door, even a small lift can be too much angle for those factory rzeppas. we replaced the rear with a Teraflex High Angle Rzeppa. the front shaft will need one too, as well as a new slip-boot. we just pulled the front shaft for now and will fix it once we get a few other items taken care of.

ACtC-3c5A-1iaSiiiWKWfJ192r98_kUtNpcq4rSn

the next issue was the center console not being installed correctly and so the hand-brake would not stay all the way down. if you leaned on the console armrest at all, the brake would pop up enough to trigger the warning light & chime while driving.

ACtC-3dO2TZ2r5dRk3JkC_avGkkNcugxpCBMzZZ_

the whole thing was pretty nasty, so brady cleaned it up while i investigated further...

ACtC-3cUOsO-SjOw00CBGmNhaRKJJpTOj2AoANCz

ACtC-3fcDrGpjUnWd-wc4wZHTon9TjIh9A2Dg2zo

it looks like someone recently replaced the carpet with a "custom" job... i.e. they cut and glued outdoor or speaker-box carpet down instead of buying a new factory style replacement. kind of annoying because now it's not removable to wash - but at least it's new! i think this is why half the interior clips and screws were missing too.

the console wasn't sitting correctly because some wiring bundles got out of place and some areas got covered in carpet that shouldn't have. we got this fixed, bought some screws, and the console fit back in perfectly.

ACtC-3c3y3-VGDtu9HeXUA6fT1fskjk__8MFdM6i

i bought some plastic clips we needed to re-install other trim pieces while i was at Autozone and we now have all the interior plastic back how it should be.

another issue was the rear seat wouldn't latch down to the floor. this was because of a poorly installed Bestop Instatrunk (security barrier) being in the way. the Instatrunk was missing 8 of 12 bolts keeping it together... not to mention it was only held in place with 2 drywall screws!

i took care of this one for B by removing it and put it all back together with new carriage bolts from Ace Hardware. since it was missing a couple mounting brackets, i installed four 1/4" rivet nuts into the Jeep's tub and bolted it directly in place.

ACtC-3fkR3AHpxa5Qm0M72kR9QEqfW9_RnZBylPT

Brady took care of installing new door limit straps, one of the old ones was broken and the other was tattered.

ACtC-3fO9_Gyquo5sXCXxa5Q7hAgA9H_IG5Q5P10

he also installed the OEM grab handles i had saved from Gadget - per Aimee's request (being that she's a "height-challenged individual")! ;)

ACtC-3fXIKi6_AgV0QktXzCTLEvgWCeyi8Fr3qqp

one other mod Brady wanted was an LED dome light and i just happened to have an extra LED bulb already, so we put that in:

ACtC-3fRQQ6Kdf4VNKjEXmekVtXs_5W1iM1AJU1W

the seats are still out - Aimee said she would help give them a good scrubbing today.

ACtC-3ee9PGAoWZfzjJ15aegMC0NAPV6qe8J180k

Wow you guys are productive!! It’s looking great!

• Like 1

Looking good Gentlemen.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

we got the seats scrubbed down this weekend. the vinyl looked a little hazy after cleaning, but wiping down with 303 Protectant seemed to bring them back to life.

ACtC-3cN4NUc1fQCe97DnOGDDt6YUj69dfFewLuG

the Easter bunny was nice to Brady as well...

wiper blades and some zipper cleaner/lube for the soft-top:

ACtC-3d1L9amI2-qQaPtmCvi7Z-IVMsOcyu1SIcP

these Hooke grille inserts he wanted:

ACtC-3dAR9fUdc6hkbyGYb9E28AYYCEx29NRB_ha

and a 9" stubby antenna:

ACtC-3eRICP8ex7KAp4pKtug_B9kqLAfLUxH5x_-

we also got the rusty spare tire jack working again after soaking in PB plaster and greasing it up.

then Fiona went for a tire rotation and balance today. found out she does not have TPMS sensors anymore, which is why the tire pressure warning light was on. they did find one tire with a random dead sensor just bouncing around loose inside of it though!

we used the OBD JScan app to disable the TPMS feature for now and adjust the speedometer for the 35's.

this weekend we're planning to get a start on changing all the fluids.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4

There's nothing to match the love you put into your first car. By the time you two put her on the road it will be showroom ready.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's a JEEP!  It's not supposed to look pretty, it's supposed look all beat/scratched up and dirty, kinda like mine, LMFAO! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2