theksmith

Fiona: 2009 Wrangler X (B's First Car)!

Posted (edited)

this morning we changed the air filter, fluid in both diffs, the t-case, engine oil andfilter. Fiona is only at 41,300 miles but i change all the fluids right away after getting a used vehicle since you usually can't be certain of its maintenance history.

the diff fluid actually looked fresh still, the engine oil seemed really black - but it's pretty hard to tell anything by just looking.

ACtC-3c2nt8biWdXuPX_h8CbnhIw1QBElVWz0_v3

the diffs and t-case went smoothly, the engine was a giant PITA....

someone installed the filter waaaaay too tight and so it ripped open trying to unscrew it. getting both arms suddenly coated in engine oil was a treat!

the drain plug was effed up AND also ridiculously tight. it's supposed to be a 13mm, but the wrench wouldn't bite the mangled head, instead rounding it off even further. we ended up hammering a 6-point 1/2" socket on (just slightly smaller than a 13mm), crossing our fingers, and backing it out with an impact wrench.

i was pretty relieved when it finally started to budge!

ACtC-3eQo6-cKV1GEqU-Jtl6QX3pikmRdx4Lg-o6

ACtC-3ecAIQxktPGGcNGG-_tTJ2C-OlgON_IOAZh

Autozone had a shiny new plug, and so this mess got chucked in the trash.

in a couple weeks we'll also flush coolant, brakes, power steering and install a trans pan with a drain while doing the trans filter.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 3

Wow! That was really on there!  It seems weird to see B under a Jeep, but looking good boys! 😋

• Like 1

Holy cow that thing was jacked up! Fiona's in good hands with you guys looking after her.

• Like 1

Obviously someone who doesn't know what they're doing changed the oil last on Fiona.  I guarantee whoever did the oil change last time didn't lube the o ring on the oil filter.  Being that I worked at quick lube shops in the past that was something I'd come across every so often.  I remember times where I had to basically stab a large/long screwdriver through the oil filter in order to get enough grip/torque to unscrew it.  Usually at that point the filter is already crushed from using various oil filter wrenches with no success.  Some people should accept the fact they shouldn't be working on cars... 🙄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

more used car treats... when we had the center console out, i noticed some cut wires.

the 2 black here should go to the backlight for the gear selector, and the 2 white should go to the "O/D OFF" button. 

ACtC-3eswcTN0hp6kJnubHGY252WnGD6INMak333

another broken wire, on the other side of that same connector:

ACtC-3cSbCv6NszLSehG4EYX3drNJC4px97_x0oS

the white wires were cut so close to the connector that i had to temporarily de-pin it to get them stripped and crimped onto new ones.

ACtC-3cPFUkqX7oqE6cWt5RASnN2J9gxAkWv_Rai

then i spliced a new section into the broken wire on the other side of the connector.

ACtC-3d8YcpTc-UWipgMjSXpyL5vBFb83TNIF-hN

i couldn't easily reuse the OEM mini backlight because of how close the wire break was.

ACtC-3dhQjOrz22CkM9DgQ1F7n66UBArwpf-Oj6K

so i took apart a white LED bulb i had and added some leads.

ACtC-3ei3W_i3ts7QwhSi52NryPgiyguSPwt-EMZ

ACtC-3e1Kz1D-fW1Ly7Mi-WwfR_m6nNs3yLfFgLB

that fit nicely back where the other bulb housing had been. i added a drop of glue to ensure it stays put.

ACtC-3eCz4ylpEHcE6u-hRQtukguKsXXf7Ve6gED

the backlight and the "O/D OFF" button seem to work just fine now!

while i was in wiring mode, i ditched this previously disabled alarm system that was still connected. it didn't have any brand name or logo, so it wasn't like we could just buy a remote and still use it.

ACtC-3cbfUP2Pp-5aCOkL_0S_9-ZB3cP2PFgiCtU

i had to re-splice a couple of the factory wires after removing this so the rig would still start. i think it's better to have it out though - if something inside the little box ever died, figuring out how to bypass it while on the trail would have been a PITA.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

WTF...  Somebody really butchered that stuff... 🤨

• Like 2