theksmith

Fiona: 2009 Wrangler X (B's First Car)!

Brady replaced the ignition switch (part #4685719AI) to hopefully resolve an intermittent no-start condition. he got the Doorman version on Amazon for $15.

apparently these are a common failure on older JK's. sometimes he would get a "click" like a weak battery or bad starter, but then other times he got no response at all from turning the key. simply pulling the key out, putting it back in and trying to start it again would sometimes let it start right up.

jk-ignition-switch.jpg

FYI, you only need to remove the steering column shroud to get to this (steering wheel stays on). also, this is just the electronics, the actual lock mechanism stays in place so you don't have to re-key either. just need a T-10 Torx bit on a 1/4" ratchet to get to the one screw holding the module on.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 4

I found that if I push the transfer case shifter and transmission shifter forward my rig will start.  

Just now, Trail Toy said:

I found that if I push the transfer case shifter and transmission shifter forward my rig will start.  

so you're saying you have to "push start" it?

season 4 banshee GIF by Cinemax

• Haha 4

On 9/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, Trail Toy said:

hopefully we've fixed our particular issue with the ignition switch and don't have that same issue you do since the TRS is not a quick-n-easy part to replace. i'm saving this link here just in case though - this guy explains how the range sensor fails in such a way as to sometimes allow the Jeep to turn over once, but not keep cranking, or sometimes just doesn't let it turn over at all. that link also mentions a software update that can correct a similar no-crank issue that has nothing to do with the TRS.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Sometimes I have to wiggle the transmission shifter to get it out of park as well, this tends to be a problem when my rig has been sitting for a while.  After a couple times of this it stops acting up and things go back to normal, until it sits for a while again.  I'm thinking safety neutral switch/trs but who knows... 😬

Next time I have this no start issue I'm gonna see about grounding that wire in connector 4 and see if that helps.

Edited by Trail Toy

I just discovered there's an override for the tranny shifter lever if it won't come out of park.

override.jpg.d71e4839db96eecf371a2317c2f450fc.jpg

Just tested this in my rig and sure as 💩 it worked!  From the passenger side I put the key in, turned to "on", tried to shift without foot on brake and no go, pressed the override down and it shifted with no issues. 😎  You still have to push the thumb button on the shifter handle though.  Also discovered if you push the override down and back just a hint it will stay in the override position.

Edited by Trail Toy

I found this Mopar web page that shows a breakdown of connectors, pins, wire color, etc., very useful! 😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

the 2.5" Teraflex coil spacers that Fiona came with have been crumbling apart in the rear for some time... we just kept sweeping up the chunks from the driveway for a while ;)

AM-JKLXBlaQvxfU4j820achA_vWoiJb9wLh804KT

Brady had Columbus Day off from school and work, so we finally had a chance to replace the spacers and factory coils with 2.5" lift Teraflex Coils that @AZRNintheJeep242 had given us (thanks Darryl!).

talk about dry-rotted, sheesh...

AM-JKLXZ2pou2ZINAI0DrcsjhAiry2rj3aLDDU7h

AM-JKLVftj-DcVr90QCX67wV-zA1UA0lUGn5XJ-a

AM-JKLVa24SF3q60VzP3m8oAtcxCBPGRJ98VGqO2

one of the front spacers was cracked, and the other was OK - no idea why those were in so much better shape than the rear.

anyway, Fiona is sitting pretty on 4 new-to-her coils now, and everything else seems to be holding together... so we're ready to go flex-test to see if any additional bump-stopping or fender trimming is necessary. hopefully we'll have time next weekend to do that and then Brady can finally start wheeling her!

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Reminds me of when I replaced my shocks, the rear lower rubber bushings doing the same and one of the metal tubes inside the bushing was broken into several pieces. 😬

Nice to see Brady twisting wrenches on his rig.  
Too many kids these days don’t have any mechanical skills or at least an appreciation for those skills.

Those rubber chunks laying in the floor  remind me of Michigan rust falling off one of my many work beaters.

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1