Jump to content
shellback91

Fastner Translation Help

Recommended Posts

I am thick as a brick and cannot figure out this nut measurement or where to get one. If anyone can help that would be awesome.  I am also wondering if I cannot find the Nyloc kind could I use a "regular" one and some thread locker.🤔

 

Fastener, Standard: Nut, Lock [1/2-20 X 0.597 TLG] Zinc Plated,Nylok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

what's the nut for?

 

 

it sounds like a fairly standard 1/2" diameter x 20 threads-per-inch Grade 5 Nylok: https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7184

 

0.597 would normally be the thickness (height) of the nut, but i'm not sure what TLG means - is it a flanged nut maybe?

 

some Ace Hardwares will have them, unless it's flanged (in which case just use a washer) - they probably have them in Grade 8, which is fine.

 

@jgaz do you have any insight on the TLG designation?

 

 

 

 

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, theksmith said:

what's the nut for?

 

 

it sounds like a fairly standard 1/2" diameter x 20 threads-per-inch Grade 5 Nylok: https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7184

 

0.597 would normally be the thickness (height) of the nut, but i'm not sure what TLG means - is it a flanged nut maybe?

 

some Ace hardwares will have them, unless it's flanged (in which case just use a washer).

 

@jgaz do you have any insight on the TLG designation?

 

 

 

 

Front shock stud nut. I am considering pulling my front passenger side shock off and cleaning off the thread locker. I will need a replacement nut since the one on there is a Nyloc and  I used thread locker which can cause problems. I may just leave it be but I am nervous about it binding up for good.   Haven't decided yet but it is causing anxiety. 😬

 

Fox Shocks gave me this for the part "018-00-026-A   Fastener, Standard: Nut, Lock [1/2-20 X 0.597 TLG] Zinc Plated, Nylok" . I am thinking TLG is unrelated to the nut itself.

Edited by shellback91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry.  
I’ve never come across “TLG” in a fastener designation.

A quick search thru my Machinery’s Handbook did not turn up anything.

 

I did see that Fox seems to use this designation when describing some of their other fasteners.  Fastener vendor maybe?

 

I’d be confident using any nut of  the correct thread as Kris said.

 

I am curious about this though.   Maybe @ob1jeeper would be a better person to ask

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jgaz said:

Sorry.  
I’ve never come across “TLG” in a fastener designation.

A quick search thru my Machinery’s Handbook did not turn up anything.

 

I did see that Fox seems to use this designation when describing some of their other fasteners.  Fastener vendor maybe?

 

I’d be confident using any nut of  the correct thread as Kris said.

 

I am curious about this though.   Maybe @ob1jeeper would be a better person to ask

 

 

 

I believe you may be correct Jim. Fox sent me that part number, that combined with everything I dug up yesterday it jives.  What are your or @ob1jeeper's or anyone's thoughts on removing the original Nylock nut, pulling the shock to clean the threads then reinstall? If I do not do that do I run the risk of seizing up that nut? Or is it extra secure as is so leave it be? It is on the passenger side of my JK which is a pain to get at on good days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thread lock is not a permanent "glue", it just helps to keep the nut from coming loose, same as a lock washer or the nylon in a nylock nut.  It is harder to get a nut off that has thread lock but it will come off.  I am speaking from my experience with using thread lock in the past.  My opinion is that you'll be fine, think of it as added security to help keep the nut from coming loose.

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

Thread lock is not a permanent "glue", it just helps to keep the nut from coming loose, same as a lock washer or the nylon in a nylock nut.  It is harder to get a nut off that has thread lock but it will come off.  I am speaking from my experience with using thread lock in the past.  My opinion is that you'll be fine, think of it as added security to help keep the nut from coming loose.

I will leave it be, I just need to get a couple more turns on it and then I will stop worrying about it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loctite and a torque retention nut is a bit like a belt and suspenders approach IMO.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

 

I don’t think that either of the torque retention methods you used will contribute to seizing up your joint.

 

What does your shock rod look like at the top end?  Hex, double D, something else?  


In my experience, it’s a bit difficult to correctly torque the upper shock nut even with a std. nut.  The rod tends to spin in the shock body.

I would think a nylock nut would make this more difficult if you aren’t able to hold the rod while you torque the nut.

 

I’m not familiar with a JK ft. shocks but can you get a socket on the rod and a box or end wrench on the nut?

This is a “double D”;socket that I’ve used for years.   I believe there are a couple of sizes.

2AB39D11-A44F-4AEE-8B99-360DCA70B246.thumb.jpeg.28d6da827650dff1b5b316f09c6641f6.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong chance that the TLG is there supplier, see that a lot at work. Equipment manufacturers like to make it like the hardware is proprietary to them thereby you spend more money with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...