Trail Toy

Gaia/GPS Tablet/System Question

Looking for advice/opinion/feedback, etc., on GPS devices.  Now that I'm getting into leading runs I want something I can use for a guide.  Sarah already has Gaia so I'm looking for a tablet and/or a GPS system that will work with Gaia.  Something with at least an 8" screen so my blind ass can see it without my reading glasses, lol!  Threads I'm finding about this info on ORP are 2 years or more old so I'm hoping for some info that's newer/updated.  Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.

Android tablets gps works even when you have no data connection, and... Wait for it...I'm pretty sure I have one in a drawer somewhere, I'll look for it in the morning when I get home.

• Like 1

Almost any iPad or Android-based tablet with a GPS antenna will work. No need for a unit with cellular service (as long as you download all of your map files in advance). Used iPad minis can be had for a nice price, Samsung tablets are probably even cheaper.

For mounts there are a ton of options, so it really depends o your preferences and budget. RAM Mounts are well regarded and tough. Carolina Metal Mashers makes some unique products too. I really like the solutions where the tablet is situated to the left of the driver on the A-pillar and away from the center stack.

Personally, I'm using my iPhone 11Pro mounted to my 67Designs dash rail (almost 6" screen). The iPhone screen is extended to my UConnect system via Apple Car Play for an extra 8" screen that is also running Gaia. This lets me run a zoomed in or detail view of the trail on my iPhone while simultaneously having a "whole trail" look on the in dash screen.

Any aftermarket headhunt with CarPlay will have the same dual-screen capability. Android Auto is currently out in the cold right now, Gaia GPS doesn't support it (yet).

• Like 2

Awesome!  I was thinking that all I needed was a tablet and then install Gaia. 

Mounts...  Already frustrated at what I'm finding, or lack there of, and the lack of space inside my rig 😬 and me being as big as I am doesn't help the lack of space situation either.  I've only looked at what I could find on Amazon and 67 Designs, 67 Designs doesn't really have much of anything for my year rig and some stuff they do have is sold out.  I'll check out those other brands you mentioned Ryan, thanks!

You can check out what I did  on 1-8 here.  I have an 8" Samsung cellular capable tablet in a RAM mount attached to a 67 Designs AMPS plate & carbon fiber arm. I have links to the sites I used to purchase my goodies in my post. I remove the RAM mount when I am not wheeling because it gets in my way and I do not want it to grow legs and walk away. Placement of the tablet is a personal preference and there are a ton of options out there for sure.  I use Gaia GPS like some folks do here and I love it. 

• Like 1

you can often find a current 8" Samsung tablet for around $150 depending on the exact model, even a used one a year old would be fine for just doing Gaia or a similar app.

i've got a Verizon 8" Asus tablet custom mounted to the A-pillar. if you like the looks of that, you could get this ball mount from CMM that screws into the factory holes in the A-pillar and then hang a RAM arm and tablet cradle off that (or they sell a smaller ball for some other system, maybe the 67 designs arms?).

jk-cockpit.jpg

(FYI, the camera lens warp near the edge makes my tablet look much bigger than it really is in that photo))

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have grab bars mounted on my A-pillar so that mounting place is not an option.  Tomorrow I'm going to go out and sit in my rig with my old Amazon Fire tablet and place it in different areas to get an idea of what might work for me.  Thanks all for your input, I greatly appreciate all your help! 😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, theksmith said:

.if you like the looks of that, you could get this ball mount from CMM that screws into the factory holes in the A-pillar and then hang a RAM arm and tablet cradle off that (or they sell a smaller ball for some other system, maybe the 67 designs arms?).

Yeah that 20mm ball works with 67Designs’ stuff.

I love the CMM stuff, but they’re straight up silly when it comes to JL owners. They want $95 for what is practically the same ball mount they offer for the JK.

What are we made of money? Just ‘cuz we’re driving the JL doesn’t mean we’ll pay triple for the same stuff! We spent it all on the JL!

beyonce queen GIF

This makes the drool though... 🤤 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

here was my original thread on building that A-pillar mount...

looks like you can get a RAM mount ball that would go in the same bolt hole that i hung mine from - complete with screws even! $12 instead of CMM's $38, it's just not as shiny ;)

41nhVyAv5VL._AC_.jpg

you might need a small spacer and a little bit longer bolt, but otherwise this is perfect for any sort of A-pillar mounting.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

39 minutes ago, 4x4tographer said:

What are we made of money? Just ‘cuz we’re driving the JL doesn’t mean we’ll pay triple for the same stuff! We spent it all on the JL!

beyonce queen GIF

They probably think the JL guys hang out with the Land Rover dudes! 🤣

• Haha 2