Trail Toy

Gaia/GPS Tablet/System Question

I use a Samsung TabA, wifi only, 10.1 screen. I added a 256 card just to store Gaia and all the data.  

Also, I have on my Samung phone 256 expanded memory just for Gaia.  

They sync up with no problems. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

saw this at Walmart tonight, should be fine to use for mapping/GPS if it has an Micro SDCard slot to expand the storage - they didn't have a demo model out to check.

FYI, 256GB major brand micro SD's are down to $30 these days...

UPDATE: the Galaxy Tab A 8.0" does appear to have a micro SD slot, according to the specs for same thing on Amazon (it's slightly cheaper at $127 there, or they have the 64GB model for $160)

PXL_20210407_040120739.jpg

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

I really like the A-pillar mount idea but as mentioned I have grab bars mounted there now and I need those bars to sling my fat ass into my rig... 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

I really like the A-pillar mount idea but as mentioned I have grab bars mounted there now and I need those bars to sling my fat ass into my rig... 🤣

which grab bars do you have?

Wild Boar

61g68IF9C3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg.11733248e4cdba05fae1d9574f463b2b.jpg

I found this on Amazon, I think this will work perfect for me.  I'll bolt it to the grab bar, as far to the left as possible, that sits just above the glove box and my tablet will be just to the right of my center dash area where the window and ac/heater controls are.  Plenty of room there and won't get in my way plus it'll be easy to reach with my long arms.

I'd probably look a little more man. A lot of those "amazon specials" are primarily plastic. With a 1/2 pound of tablet mated up to it, you're going to get a lot of vibration off-road. 

Maybe consider a genuine RAM ball mount and arm on your passenger grab handle. 100% metal, arm and all.

It's worth noting that you'll want to be careful with placement. If your airbag goes off, you can get into a situation where your tablet becomes a claymore.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

The reviews show semi truck drivers and side by side drivers using and liking this mount.  We all know how bouncy those things are which is why I'm willing to give this one a shot.  Plus the 67Designs, Ram, Vector, etc., are so damn expensive.  The base plate/ball for the one I'm looking at is aluminum and the rest of it is plastic.  Also, this is Prime with free returns so if it doesn't work out the way I want I can return it.  It will also sit low enough not to interfere with the air bag if it were to go off.

UHG!  Damn it Ryan, you got me 2nd guessing myself, LMAO!  I now see RAM has a lifetime warranty on their stuff, which is nice.  Just got off the phone with Scott and he's got me thinking about going a different rout.  The more I think about it, mounting something to that handlebar right above the glove box doesn't seem that good of an idea anymore.  I think I'm going to listen to y'all, spend more $ than I want and get the good stuff that I know will be better in the long run. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I'VE MADE MY DECISION!

I found this from Carolina Metal Mashers, I can still utilize the mounting location I want and not worry about the plastic OEM handle bar giving me issues.

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 2