Sign in to follow this  
shellback91

Bend Brake Line

I am installing some brake line relocation brackets and MAY have to bend the hard line which scares the ever lovin'  💩 outta me. 🤣  Any tips or tricks if I have to bend them a little? I have read box wrenches work good for some.

2 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

That is a bit sketchy, be VERY careful, bend it too much and it'll kink/pinch... 😬

I know, it scares me a little.  I am going to give it a go tomorrow see what it looks like attached to the relocation brackets. Maybe I will not have to do anything,  or it may need straightened out a little. 😬 I am a little frustrated this week with the rig, my fault not hers,  so if it looks too complicated I am going to put it back together and leave it alone until I calm down.

13 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

I was also going to say my rig has relocation brackets and it doesn't appear my lines have been bent other than the factory bends.  That's kinda the reason for the relocation brackets, so you don't have to modify anything like bending the tubes.  But there could be situations like yours where you need a little modification...  😟

I am probably overthinking it as I tend to do sometimes. After looking at everything again I think I am going to be okay. My approach is to plan for the worst just in case something goes wonky then have a beer or three when it doesn't! 😆

those rear hard lines have a ton of slack - at least that was my experience with several rigs. they aren't mounted super secure near where you are installing the brackets. you barely have to bend them at all, certainly not to the point of needing a specific tool. it's ok if they have some tension on them still.

just FYI, in case yours need more adjustment than i'm thinking - it's better to bend them slightly in several places to get them to where you need rather than risk over-bending in a single spot and kinking them.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve “messaged” quite a few brake lines and usually used anything from a D cell battery to. large socket to form a radius into the line.

As Kris said, several  bends is usually safer.

• Like 1