shellback91

Moab Early Fall 2022, Maybe?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dzJeepChic said:

I originally posted this to the wrong thread. But here's my fave place to stay in Moab: Last time we were there we stayed at Moab Rim Camp Park and we loved it! they have cabins with kitchenette/bath, small fishing cabins, tent sites, clean community bathrooms and showers, RV sites, nice common area with grass and picnic tables for bbq, etc. it was a great place for a group. 

Sounds like the perfect place to stay! 😎

After checking out their website this place is very similar to Mormon Lake Campground. 👍

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 2

In the interest of gathering as much information as possible I contacted the campground. You'd have to pack your own bedding and towels for the cabins. No biggie in the grand scheme of things for most, but it may not be an option for everyone.  Should we all stay in one general area?  Thoughts?

I also did some more digging around and essentially found that at least one year out is the best time to book most anything. Prices vary and deposits/payment amounts also vary of course.  Based on that I am going to noodle this through over the next little while and settle on some possible dates that will give all who want to venture up plenty of time to decide. I expect attendees to commit over time and the list to grow and shrink over time too.

Here are my questions:

1. I am wondering how far in advance you recommend booking cabins?
2. Is one season busier than others?
3. Do you offer group rates?
4. How much is due when booking a cabin?
5. When is the balance due?

Their answers:
Hi Marty,

You ask some great questions. If you want to come in the spring, you should already be booking now. If you want to book in the fall, also plan a year in advance. June - August you can usually book 6 months in advance. The larger the group and the longer the stay, the farther in advance you should book. Spring and Fall we run 100% capacity. No group rates available and no discounts at all are given in March - June. Any reservation requires a 1 night deposit and the balance of the stay is due when you arrive. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reed Pendleton
Moab Rim Campark
435-259-5002

We have stayed at Moab Rim campground for the last few years, and found the prices to be reasonable.  We can't comment on restrooms and such as we stayed in our RV.  They fill up fast though, so recommend getting your dates and reservations...although September may not be an issue.

Chicken corners is a great trail, as is Shafer Trail.  I wasn't aware that a permit is needed for that trail, unless you take the turn into Canyonlands....Might want to check into that further, but if you go on the trail without turning into Canyonlands, it takes you out (or in) by the Potash fields - AND the place where Thelma and Louise drove off into the abyss.  Also of interest - there's a backway into Arches National Park and it takes you to a parking area that includes a small hike to one of their least visited arches.  Also - just driving up Utah 128 along the river is awesome, and you can do a spur in and out of Onion Creek/Fisher Canyon...Awesome trail, and easy.  Also of interest may be driving up Castle Valley Road to the dinosaur tracks at the top....Another easy.

Enjoy!

smiles, ladybug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarah and I are pretty open at this point being it's going to be over a year from now, if you decide to go with September which is cool with us.  We'll keep an eye on your updates, thanks Marty! 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

Sarah and I are pretty open at this point being it's going to be over a year from now, if you decide to go with September which is cool with us.  We'll keep an eye on your updates, thanks Marty! 😎

You got it Jason. I like to plan ahead obviously, for a trip like this I'm getting the feeling it's a requirement.  Stay tuned for updates. 

• Like 2

We did Shafer.  Honestly, we were all bored after the first hour, which is after we were certain Cher's Dad was going to kill us on the initial switch backs. 

We have been several times but in the summer time usually.  I've usually planned it out about 4 - 5 months in advance.  We have stayed in little cabins in campgrounds and done the VRBO thing.  We liked the VRBO thing best, having a garage and a place to take a day off, cook in a real kitchen, etc.

I may be interested in the fall of 2022, my new ride should be where I want her to be by then.  But first I have to wear out these new tires to justify my first real mod.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

What new ride

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, johnpa said:

What new ride

Always the last to know...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

She never talks to me about stuff. We need counseling

• Haha 8

Hi Marty!  We just came from Moab and can update you on some of the trails...

To access Shafer Trail from the top, you enter Canyonlands National Park, so you will need a park pass or pay the fee.  The entrance to Shafer is less than one mile from inside the pay station.  If you run this trail in the opposite direction, you won't need to pay, but you will miss the views.  Personally, I love the views of Shafer, and always keep my eyes open for a huge herd of big horn sheep that we've seen before at the bottom of the trail.  If you go straight at the bottom, you will end up on the White Rim Trail, at which point you will need a permit.  If you turn left, you exit the national park and run by the potash fields and back to blacktop near Long Canyon, and pass by Poison Spider trail head.  

Chicken corners is a long spur trail, long day.

We always run Hells Revenge and Fins and Things.  Both are busy trails.

This year we ran Jax Trax, south of Moab, south of Wilson Arch.  No one was on the trail with us.

Some of the group ran Kane Creek, and ended up with some carnage.  The gladiator that was with the group winched everyone up over one of the ledges.   Another day, some ran Poison Spider and Porcupine Rim.  Quite frankly, all the trails in Moab are being well loved, and it shows.  Let me know if you have any questions on any trails in particular, let us know as we are up there every year.   OB1 or I can tell you more about any trails you have an interest in.....

smiles, ladybug

• Thanks 4