Trail Toy

7/16/21-7/18/21 Mormon Lake Weekend Camping-Various Easy To Moderate Trails

Posted (edited)

Mormon Lake Campgrounds, AZ:

Join us for a weekend of camping and off roading fun.  The 80-year history of Mormon Lake Lodge began in 1924 in the heyday of ranching and logging in Northern Arizona, when a Chandler, Arizona man built the Lodge, formerly known as Tombler's Lodge. It was a place for men to bring their families for a good meal and to have a little fun in the adjoining saloon.

There are quite a few trails to run in this area, the easy ones are rated 1-2 and the moderate ones are rated 3-4.  On Friday (if there's anyone else already there) I'll lead a run that combines two easy trails and a moderate trail, with the moderate section in the middle for a total of 18.62 miles.  On Saturday morning I'll lead a run that also combines an easy trail with a moderate trail for a total of 31.54 miles.  Anyone else can lead a second run on Friday and/or Saturday if they desire.  After my runs there should be plenty of time to squeeze in another run later on those days.  Sunday will be completely open to anyone who wants to do more runs, we'll play that by ear as I'm sure most, if not all, of us will be ready to head home.

I put the dates of 7/16/21 to 7/18/21 but Sarah and I are going to head up on Thursday the 15th.  Anyone else who wants to come up and stay on different days is more than welcome to do so.  Please don't feel obligated to arrive sooner/stay longer than you desire or stay at this particular campground.  There's plenty of other places for camping, whether it's another campground or dispersed. 

Here is a link to a website that shows areas available for free dispersed camping near Mormon Lake, hit "refresh" if the map only shows the U.S. instead of the Mormon Lake area: LINK.  On this website I found 2 dispersed camping areas, one about 6.5 miles north of the cabins and one about 7.5 miles south of the cabins.  I'm thinking those who are dispersed camping can brainstorm and agree on one area for y'all to camp. 👍

Thursday afternoon/evening Sarah and I plan to drive to Flagstaff and do a little sightseeing and have dinner.  Anyone else who might be there on Thursday is more than welcome to join us.

EFFECTIVE JUNE 8TH 2021 COCONINO WILL BE IN STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS.  FOR MORE INFO. VISIT: LINK

Open to ideas of other fun stuff to do so please don't hesitate if you have any ideas, suggestions, etc.

• @Trail Toy Friday's Run: Starts on Kinnikinnick Rd. (1-2 Easy) for 4.71 miles then to Anderson Mesa South (3-4 Moderate) for 4.52 miles then to Sawmill Springs (2 Easy) for 9.39 miles
  • @Trail Toy Saturday's Run: Starts on Apache Maid (3-4 Moderate) for 14.87 miles, there'll be an out & back side trail a little past the halfway point on Apache Maid called Apache Maid Lookout (2 Easy) for 8.3 miles, then Apache Maid ends at Stoneman Lake Rd. (1 Easy) which will be the last 8.37 miles of this run
  • More info, pics and vids of these trails are available at trailsoffroad.com

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)

Itinerary:

• @Trail Toy Friday's Run: Meet up will be 7:30am and depart by 8am 4 miles east of the campgrounds off of Lake Mary Rd. here, turn onto 125 and just a hint down that road (0.2 miles) there looks to be a dirt lot just before the cattle guard and the road turns to dirt
  • @Trail Toy Saturday's run: Meet up will be 7:30am and depart by 8am 18.2 miles south of the campgrounds just off of Lake Mary Rd. here, turn onto Fire Rd. 229 and cross over the cattle guard to an open area next to the trail
  • Gas up beforehand, 1 full tank should be plenty, the only gas station is near the campgrounds here
  • We can caravan to the meet up spots to make it easier

Sign-up:

1- @Trail Toy Leading 2 runs (Arriving Thursday/Campgrounds)

2- @AZRNintheJeep242 (Arriving Thursday)

3- @Stacey and Scott (Arriving Thursday/Dispersed)

4- @FleetSailor (Arriving?/Dispersed)

5- @K2man56 (Arriving Friday/Campgrounds)

6- @theksmith (Tentative/Dispersed)

7- @MzPriss (Tentative/Dispersed)

8- @Curly (Arriving Friday/Dispersed)

9- @shellback91 (Arriving Friday/Campgrounds)

10- @Bradywgn71 (Arriving?/Dispersed)

11- @We Just Go (Arriving Friday/Dispersed)

12- @4x4tographer & @Yodamom and kiddos (Tentative, Arriving Friday/Dispersed)

Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list, please be sure to let me know your arrival date and where you are staying, thanks!  If you want to set up and lead a run please be sure to include that info and I'll update this post as needed, thanks! 😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The following is what I was told is available at Mormon Lake Campgrounds as of 11am this morning (4/30/21) for the weekend of 7/15/21 to 7/18/21.  Here's a link to the campgrounds with more info/pricing: LINK

• There are a "few" R/V spots
  • Dry camp/tent camp is first come first serve
  • Betty Zane Cabin - 1
  • Buffalo Ridge Cabin - 3
  • Elk View Cabin - 6
  • Oak Grove Cabin - 3
  • Pine Ridge Cabin -3 (this is the cabin we chose otherwise it would be 4 available)
  • Pine View Cabin - 6
  • Robbers Roost Cabin - 6

If you plan on renting a cabin please be sure to make your reservations now, I'm sure as we get closer to that weekend they'll go quickly.  If you have to cancel your reservation and do so at least 5 days or more in advance you will get a full refund. 👍

Edited by Trail Toy

@AZRNintheJeep242 and @Stacey and Scott, I added you to the list per your request from my other thread.  Please let me know if I need to update anything for y'all, thanks!

Colleen and I are in. We'll be camping dispersed most likely.

• Like 2

HI! Kelly and I are in.  Sounds like fun!

• Like 1

put me down as tentative for now, will know for sure as it gets closer. we'd also most likely do dispersed camping nearby instead of staying at the campground.

• Like 1

Dispersed camping? Absolutely!

• Like 1

Put me down.  Dispersed camping.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MzPriss said:

Put me down.  Dispersed camping.

Do you know what day you will arrive?

38 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

Do you know what day you will arrive?

Most likely Friday.  Depends on the workload that week.

• Like 1