*POSTPONED* | Northern Arizona Overland Traverse | Primitive Camping

Posted (edited)

1540340919378_resized_DSC00408.jpg

1537139705551_resized_DSC00686.jpg

cruiser-s-cafe-66-bsr-and-grib8709a-1024

Northern AZ Overland Traverse

Friday July 9 & Saturday July 10 | Cottonwood to Williams, AZ

Primitive Tent Camping | No Facilities

Join me for 2 days and 135 miles of dirt therapy on this overland-style adventure! We’ll be running a modified version of the Northern Arizona Overland Traverse, which I’ve modified to be shorter, adding in a few side-stops. This route will take us through the chaparral forested Prescott NF and into the higher altitude ponderosa pines of Kaibab NF. 

We’ll start our trip in the town of Cottonwood, meeting up for a great breakfast before departing. Along the way we’ll take in several different views of Sycamore Canyon as we stop along the rim in several places. The majority of our ride will be easy trails, with a decent stretch of moderate trails with a few small technical sections. We’ll have the option of a short hike to see some pretty amazing cliff dwellings overlooking the red rocks. Camp will be made in the cool pines in Kaibab NF.

The following day, we’ll head out to Sycamore Point for some panoramic views, and wind our way north, with our final stop in Williams. While there, we can check out Route 66, grab some lunch (or an early dinner), before parting company and heading home.

crema_exterior.jpg

Meetup for Breakfast

We'll grab some breakfast in town at Crema Craft Kitchen, an award-winning brunch joint. 

We'll hang out, drink coffee, eat some great food, talk about the plan, and head out when we’re ready!

When: July 9th @ 7am

Where: Crema Craft Kitchen (link)

917 N Main St, Cottonwood, AZ 86326

**Please arrive fueled up and ready**

Parking: There are 2 public (and free) lots within 1 block north and south of the restaurant

• South (closest): 34.74701179140745, -112.02754154260568
  • North: 34.74805909700933, -112.02644536506874

Trip Itinerary

Please note that the itinerary is approximate.

Day 1: Friday, July 9th

• Breakfast meetup (7am)
    • Depart after breakfast
  • Hit the road!
    • Cruise down 89a and through Jerome
    • Turn north into Prescott National Forest
    • Scenic Drive (easy)
  • Break for lunch
    • Optional hike to the dwellings (300ft elevation gain)
  • Back on the road!
    • Scenic drive (easy to moderate)
    • Cross over into Kaibab National Forest
    • Camp Finding (Excess drive may be approx 5-10mi depending on availability of sites)
  • Set up camp!

Day 2: Saturday, July 10th

• Wake up / Pack up / Eat
  • Hit the road, Jack!
    • If needed, we'll stop in Williams for fuel
    • Trail ride to Sycamore Point
    • Take a break, explore, enjoy the views
    • Trail ride ending in downtown Williams on Old Route 66
  • Get your kicks on Route 66 (Williams, AZ)
    • Grab some lunch locally (tons of options)
    • Check out the sites, enjoy the town
  • Part ways and head home via your favorite highway (if you want!)
  • Odds are, you'll be home by dark on Saturday

Trail Difficulty | Exploratory

Note that I have NOT run these trails personally, hence the "exploratory" status.

Based on research, the majority of our trail time will be easy dirt roads. There will be an approx 4-5mi stint that is moderate, with a few sections requiring 4L.

Purple: Current route

Blue: Targeted camping areas

0OpaILK.png

Link to map tracks and waypoints here

Average Weather | Area Weather for the Timeframe of this Trip

As we'll be at an altitude of over 6,000ft for the majority of our trip, I'd expect seasonal highs of 82.

Our preferred campsite is at 8,000ft and should be around 77* based on seasonal average highs.

• Sunrise: 5:23am
  • Sunset: 7:46pm
  • Moon Phase: New Moon (perfect for stargazing)
  • Avg High Temp: 82*
  • Avg Low Temp: 55*
  • Williams Altitude: 6,700ft
  • Camping Altitude: 7,000-8,000ft (temperature falls 5* per 1,000ft)

Approximate Trip Milage

The below are APPROXIMATIONS of speed, and duration. Distance is accurate.

Anticipation is we will spend the majority of our time in 2H or 4H, meaning we should be pretty fuel efficient. The passage into Kaibab will require 4L in a few spots.

Our furthest distance without a fuel stop will be (101 miles).

image.png.bd8ac140e579a8ebf1306c919b3fe18d.png

Based on the above estimates, we should be making camp around 4 to 5pm. However, that is a SWAG (smoking wild-ass guess).

If it begins to approach dark quicker than expected, we'll camp at the first suitable spot (sunset isn't until 7:46pm).

Requirements

• A high clearance 4x4 truck or suv with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive A/T or M/T tires
    • While not required, aftermarket skid plates, rock rails, and sway-bar disconnects are recommended.
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seatbelts, lights, etc.)
  • Vehicle should be mechanically sound and safe to drive
  • Drivers of varying experience should be fine on this trip
  • PRIMITIVE CAMPING
    • Camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, chair, stove, etc.)

Other Important Info

• Bring 2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, snacks
  • MORE water than you need
  • Camping (PRIMITIVE)
    • We'll camp at high elevation (approx 8,000 feet) where temps are expected to drop to 50 degrees. Please remember appropriate clothing and bedding.
    • This is during summer, high summer, so plan accordingly with appropriate clothing, sunscreen, and MORE water than you think you need. Average seasonal high temp is 82 for the area. 
    • Monsoon. Summer brings the monsoon. And while we haven't had a good one in a long time, this just might be our year. Rain is entirely possible. We'll keep an eye on the forecast as we get closer.
  • Radio Comms
    • Primary - GMRS channel 20 (462.675 MHz)
    • Secondary - Ham simplex 146.460 Mhz
  • Recovery gear, first aid kit, fire extinguisher
  • Folding chair, camera

Sign-Ups

Rig limit: 6 due to unknown camping space. After that, we'll put you on stand-by.

1 - @4x4tographer (lead)

2 - @Stacey and Scott

3 - @Curly

4 - @johnpa 

5 - @shellback91

6 - @mynr1

Standby:

1 - @theksmith

2 - @MzPriss

3 - @Bradywgn71

Edited by 4x4tographer
I kan’t spel.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We are in. May half to peel off early on Saturday, work at 7pm (sleep is for rich people)

• Like 3

Add us please. I'm real familiar with the route and area.  I know of an old ranch house on the way to the cabin, plus JD's Cabin/grave and Sycamore falls. The falls will be dry but on a Saturday you will most likely find people climbing the walls.

I can't tell from your map what road you are taking after Lonesome pocket (the ruins) but if it is the main road out of Perkinsville, its minivan friendly.  The old road from Perkinsville to Williams is bit more rugged, more of a 4wd trail, but still very easy. Its part of the National Old trails system.

Anyone interested in seeing the ruins, be aware that it is a short but steep hike up to the ruins. Kicks my butt every time.

• Like 3

please add me to standby for now - need to check my calendar before i can commit

• Like 1

Please add Gunny and Johnpa

• Like 1

Please add me.

• Like 1

@4x4tographer- I have been looking around for the trail GPX's but am not having much luck finding accurate information. Were did you pull your info from?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shellback91 said:

@4x4tographer- I have been looking around for the trail GPX's but am not having much luck finding accurate information. Were did you pull your info from?

Hey Marty! I grabbed a combination of GPX tracks and hand drew some others based on the MVUM from the Forest Service.

I’ll set up a folder on Gaia and share them out with you guys, complete with waypoints and POIs. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4x4tographer said:

Hey Marty! I grabbed a combination of GPX tracks and hand drew some others based on the MVUM from the Forest Service.

I’ll set up a folder on Gaia and share them out with you guys, complete with waypoints and POIs. 🙂

GIF by Splash Designworks (aka splashdw.com)

• Like 1

Sign me up if slot available or will go on standby.   Al

• Like 1