4x4tographer

*POSTPONED* | Northern Arizona Overland Traverse | Primitive Camping

Looks like a great trip....would be a good one to take our off road trailer on too. Can't get the day off and looks full up already anyway, hopefully someone will create a "not too far in future" trip that we can get in on.  We just did the portion of road from Jerome to Perkinsville last weekend and are wanting to take it to Williams, this would've been great. Have fun exploring!

PXL_20210413_014252170.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello my friends, 

Keeping a wary eye on the lightning-caused Rafael Fire that exploded in size over night. This fire is currently burning right along part of the planned route for this trip.

I plan on keeping the trip dates, but will look at an alternative plan and post it up in the next few days.

2 screenshots of the fire's progress below:

This 1st capture is via infrared satellite showing active burn zones. Screen grab from 6pm on 6/20. As of yesterday it had a Type 3 management team working the fire.

Lwi7zNS.jpg

THIS screen grab is from this morning (6/21) at 6am. The fire quadrupled in size overnight, dropped into Sycamore Canyon, and is now consuming the canyon.

The yellow trail on the far right is Casner Mountain Trail.

The red zones are from previous fires in the area of varying age. Hopefully recent enough to have thinned out the file for this new fire and prevent it from going north.

8eVnwgE.jpg

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Thanks 2

I was wondering about this when I saw the fire was close to Sand Flat.  Sad to hear it is down in Sycamore canyon.  We can see the glow of the fire from our house in Cornville and the smoke plume is huge.  I really hope the Az pulls out of this drought cycle soon, or there won't be any forest left to enjoy. :(

• Sad 3

Oops, jumped the gun on the last post. Looks like our trip is in the Prescott and Kaibab forest,  not closed yet, but probably soon.  :(

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Curly said:

Oops, jumped the gun on the last post. Looks like our trip is in the Prescott and Kaibab forest,  not closed yet, but probably soon.  :(

No worries - Inciweb notes that Prescott will be announcing closures later today as well.

I also noticed that Bill Williams Mountain was closed for Stage 3 restrictions beginning June 11th, so I was going to need to modify that portion of the trip already.

Currently mapped closures can be found here.

Edited by 4x4tographer

TRIP POSTPONED!

Sorry fam, but totally out of anyone's control. 

Kaibab National Forest just pulled the trigger on a forest closure, beginning 6/23 with no forecasted end date. Coconino has already announced their closure with Prescott & Tonto anticipated to follow suit. This pretty much nixes any off-roading in all of Arizona's National Forests until the closures are lifted.

For planning purposes - I am working on a revised trip date and will re-post the event with the new date. This will give us a fresh canvas to plan the trip in.

Anyone already on the list will get first dibs on the new trip date.

• Sad 1

This stinks but such is life in AZ I suppose. Looking forward to the rescheduled date.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF