Trail Toy

5/22/21 Sheep Bridge & New River Canyon

Posted (edited)

I would like to thank @gearhead & @Bradywgn71 for joining Sarah and I on another awesome day with lots of beautiful landscape to view.  Also a quick shout out to @theksmith for hanging out with us for a bit at the meet up spot.  The run out to Sheep Bridge took 2.5 hours with one 10 min. pit stop along the way.  We hung out at Sheep Bridge for 1 hour 45 mins., took in the views & scenery, ate lunch and then walked out on the bridge right before leaving.  We could see fish in the river below along with a decent amount of people out there camping.  We departed Sheep Bridge and made our way back to where Sarah and I parted ways with @gearhead & @Bradywgn71 at Cave Creek Rd. where Sarah and I made our way to New River Canyon and the others continued on down Bloody Basin Rd.  Sarah and I got to the start of New River Canyon at about 1:30pm, shortly after starting that run I saw a couple deer, no pic. unfortunately.  We completed this trail in 3.5 hours with a couple of quick stops so I could spot Sarah and one pit stop for us and the dogs to take care of business.  Total run time for just Sarah and I was 7 hours, 45 mins.  Not sure what the total run time was for the others.

Now, about a couple of things that happened along New River Canyon, one shitty thing and one scary thing:  

First, the shitty thing.  About 25%-30% into this trail the drivers side front shock on Sarah's new rig BROKE!  Get this, less than 24 hours after buying this rig...  A BROKEN FRONT SHOCK! 🤬 We were able to continue on without any issues, just taking it a little slower and keep an eye on her rig.  Other than the broken shock Sarah's rig performed beautifully for the day.

Now onto the scary situation.  We came to a section of the trail that had a decent washed out portion to where you have to drive tightly to the left to avoid dropping into it.  I saw it no problem, made my way around it and could tell Sarah's rig should have no problems going around it as well, plenty of room.  After I passed it I stopped to watch Sarah go around it, only one problem...  SHE DIDN'T SEE IT!  I'm watching her in my rear view mirror, by the time I realize she's not going around it, it's too late for me to try and jump out of my rig to stop her, the passenger front of her rig drops into this washout.  Meanwhile I'm just about having a heart attack thinking she's gonna roll her new rig into this washout and down a steep embankment with her and the twins inside! 😟 As I was getting out of my rig she reversed her rig a bit and then just pulled forward as I was yelling to her "what are you doing?".  She didn't even realize how bad of a situation she was in until after I told her what she did.  I have to say this, that Tundra pulled forward, the front end came up and out, the passenger ass end dropped into the washout and then pulled up and out without ANY hesitation! 😲 I was actually impressed with the ease her new rig drove into and out of that washout!  If I drove my rig into that washout I guarantee it would've ended up on it's side, if not worse and rolled down the hill.  We don't have a radio for her rig otherwise I could've stopped her over the radio but I would've actually mentioned the washout to her before she even got to it.  Needless to say we have a set of GMRS walkie talkies that will be delivered today.  This situation really brought to light the importance of radios and that a new off roader needs help when they don't even realize it.  After that scary situation we chilled for a minute or two, gathered ourselves and continued on with no more issues/situations for the rest of the trail.

Pictures and videos will be coming soon!

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 3

Here's the link to pics and a vid: LINK

i hope the dealer takes care of that strut

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We're dropping it off today, they are fixing it under warranty. 

Edited by Trail Toy

Thank you Trail Toy for your review.  It's a fun run.  Scenic?  

Bring bug spray if you camp next time.  I recommend camping if you are prepared...so the original note. 

• Like 1