Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Open to All: 7/23-7/31/11: Ouray, CO, 4x4, KOA Camping

Ouray, Colorado

July 2011

From Sat July 23rd, to Sun July 31st.

DSCF1077.JPG

We had such a good time this year, that we're going back next year too.

This is not an official Offroad Passport trip and the Offroad Passport administrators (theksmith, dzJeepChic, and Number7) will not be participating in this trip (as they're doing the Ribicon in July '11). They have however, allowed me to post this as an unofficial trip so that we can use the forum to get organized.

We'll definitely be doing Black Bear Road and Imogene Pass, and then whatever else we decide would be fun.

The itinerary of trail runs will be very flexible, with nothing set in stone. Everyone is free to come and go as you please. You don't have to spend the entire week with us, and you can hang out with us or do your own thing on a daily basis too.

Ouray 2010 planning thread:

http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219

Ouray 2010 trip report thread:

http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659

Lodging:

My family and I are going to be staying at the KOA in Kabins. The KOA is about 5 miles north of Ouray. There are lots of other RV parks and hotels in Ouray to choose from.

Here's the KOA website:

http://koa.com/uploadedFiles/Campgrounds/Ouray_KOA/Sitemap/06158.pdf

If you think you might want to go on this trip I would recommend that you make reservations now. The KOA fills up real fast with people making reservations for next year as they end their vacation this year. That's what we did. If you have to cancel you'll lose a $10 cancellation fee, but that's better than not being able to get a place in my opinion.

We have #90 and 91 reserved. There are 6 other Kabins and 2 tent sites near us. I recommend calling for reservations so that you can request a specific site, which you can't do on the web site.

Here is a zoom of the area we're in:

attachment.php?attachmentid=387&stc=1&d=1281376071

Note that on this map I added tent site 88. It's not on the KOA map for some reason, but I did verify that it exists as we were wandering around looking to see which Kabins we wanted to reserve.

Here's a link to the full map:

http://www.koa.com/where/sitemaps/06158.pdf

Trip/Trail Organizers:

JKGoose (and family) - Kabins 90 & 91 reserved.

Attendees:

OurayKoaZoomMap.jpg.ac778e45c0bd7db008883e09c998fce7.jpg

Now that this is getting close, I see that we're not going to be there the entire week like originally planned. I'll be arriving Monday July 25th and the rest of my family will be arriving Thursday July 28th.

This means I will be modifying my Kabin reservations which means that someone else can use my uneeded Kabin nights.

I'll be freeing up 1 Kabin for Sat July 23rd until Thur July 28th. That's 5 nights.

I'll be freeing the other Kabin for Sat July 23rd to Mon July 25th. Two nights.

If anyone is interested in taking either of these Kabins for those dates, let me know. Otherwise I will be turning them back over to the KOA, and they probably won't last very long before someone else takes them.

I may cancel my trip to Ireland, if I do and I can get the LJ together I would probably like to tag along. I'll let you know soon.

That would be awesome. Let me know.

Goose, what day are you leaving home and when do you plan to leave CO.?

you'll like it up there, was there in 05 and had a blast, wish i could go but vacation time is limited this time so have fun

Goose, what day are you leaving home and when do you plan to leave CO.?

Actually I'm not positive what day I'm going to Ouray. I have a volleyball tournament most likely on Sat, but there's a chance it could be Sun instead. So I'm definitely going by Mon Jul 25, but I might leave Sun Jul 24.

The rest of family is coming up in Thur Jul 28.

We're planning on returning home on Mon Aug 1, although right now our reservations are just until Sun Jul 31.

There. Clear as mud?

If you're ready to commit to going, I can commit to some dates.

Getting clearer.

We could not extend our cabin reservation beyond Sunday (July 31) without having to move to a different cabin, so we made reservations for Sunday night in Durango at the Best Western Rio Grande.

Summary to date:

I arrive Ouray Sun or Mon (July 25 or 25), family arrives Thur (July 28), we all leave Ouray for Durango Sun (July 31), leave Durango Mon (Aug 1).

I still have 2 cabins reserved from Sat July 23 to Sun Aug 31, so 1 is available for someone else to use from Sat to Thur and the other from Sat to Sun or Mon (whenever I show up there).

Re: Summary to date

Just wondering if you will all still be together Goose if your family arrives on 21 and you do not show up until the 25 or 25. Have a great time! I may be in the area but do not know for sure.

David, Paco & UPATREE

Goose, it looks like there aren't any open cabins and the dates don't quite match up to my time off so I guess I won't be going. Have a great time.