Posted (edited)

I have been using the Mopar drop in paper filter and not had any problems.  In doing some research looking for replacement OEM filters different types popped up in my search of course.

I am not a fan of oiled filters, K&N filters also do not appeal to me.

In my reading and research I came across this aFe Pro Dry  filter. I have read it can be a PITA clipping the air box back together with this one, that's a minor issue. I also came across this filter from AEM. They appeal to me because of  the durability, improved air flow and filtration.(Some folks claim) 

Has anyone used either of these or have thoughts on them? Stick with paper filters? Mopar or Wix?

Edited by shellback91
  • Like 1

I use an AEM dry-flow cone filter instead of the K&N that came with my snorkel. I really don't like oiled filters. However, I think a cheap OEM style paper filter, changed every (or every other) oil change is the best and simplest way to go.

No idea if brand really matters much.

@ob1jeeper, thoughts on brands?

• Like 1

I'm using a pair of AEM dry filters that can be washed and reused.  I like these because they don't use oil but yet can be washed.

1.jpg.291aaec163cb392bcef01441d4ea2b11.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theksmith said:

I use an AEM dry-flow cone filter instead of the K&N that came with my snorkel. I really don't like oiled filters. However, I think a cheap OEM style paper filter, changed every (or every other) oil change is the best and simplest way to go.

No idea if brand really matters much.

@ob1jeeper, thoughts on brands?

Kris,

I have no  "Fits-All" thoughts on brands of filters, other than to say that if it's dirt cheap in price, there is a reason which is typically not what you want for a vehicle which you intend to keep.   The flip-side is that the most expensive is not always the highest quality, and there are those who are WAY BETTER at advertising promises for  $$$$ offerings, than actually capable of delivering a product that meets, much less exceeds OEM specifications.

Since I keep vehicles for a long time, (my newest vehicle is a 2003 with over 440,000 miles, and I own number that are 45-50 years old), I prefer to use the filters specified by the manufacturer of the product, thus I tend to shop @ thier respective dealers (or sources who carry OEM), for known "OEM" quality filters, whether it be the intake (air) filter, the engine oil filter, trans, fuel, or whatever filter my be required.

That said, The vehicle manufactures do NOT build their own filters, instead they specify filtration standards to thier suppliers for the various applications.   There are a number of filter manufacturers that do, and are, capable of, constructing "OEM-specification" filters for the aftermarket.   When I am unable to find an OEM supplied filter, I tend to purchase from other than the cheapest source, filters that are NOT of Chinese origin.

Finally,  back on track for your inquiry re: Air Filters;   Bottom line for me regarding engine air filtration is this:   To my knowledge NONE of the "non-paper" airfilters meet the OEM specifications for filtration standards specified by the OEM's.   At least they were not even close during my working years, and I've been too lazy to research any advances that may have been made in the intervening years.   For me, it's simply safer and easier to use the OEM specified filters.   ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever is chosen, they need to be cleaned / changed more often than you think if you run a lot of trails.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gearhead said:

Whatever is chosen, they need to be cleaned / changed more often than you think if you run a lot of trails.

Especially if you're not leading, lol! 😆

• Haha 2

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to adopt a policy of buying OEM vs most anything else I get a hair brained idea about. 🤣  Some things(Shocks/Tires/Oil for example) are exempt of course but majority are not.  I did manage to find a wholesale Mopar Parts Dealer locally which is a bonus.  Thanks again gentlemen! 

• Like 2

@shellback   The Mopar parts link you provided is a good place to deal.

It is a Larry Miller affiliated company.  
I’ve had some luck getting one of their Mopar family dealers to honor the online price, pick it up at the dealer, and avoid the shipping charges.  YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1