Trail Toy

8/14/21 Cedar Flat Rd. to Apache Maid Trail & Lookout - Near Camp Verde - Easy to Moderate

Posted (edited)

Taking a chance and hoping for clear weather, no fires or closures for another run.  This run will encompass a short drive, 4.25 miles, on Beaver Creek to Cedar Flat, then 25.48 miles on Cedar Flat to Apache Maid.  Cedar Flat connects to Apache Maid at about the halfway point of Apache Maid, just a little past the connecting point is Apache Maid Lookout.  After that Apache Maid connects to Stoneman Lake Rd. at which point the run is completed, a total of 44.25 miles.  After reconnecting/airing up continue on Stoneman Lake Rd. to the I-17.

There's tons of scenery and with the active Monsoon we are having this year there should be lots of greenery.  There's also the Apache Maid cabin to see and the lookout tower.  The Apache Maid fire tower has arguably the best views in central Arizona. Be kind to the fire watch in the tower and you will likely receive an invitation to the top. Getting there requires climbing not only the 30-foot scaffold holding up the tower's cab, but negotiating over 2 miles of narrow shelf road. The views are definitely worth the effort.

Now, due to wild fires, forest closures and the Monsoon this trip could get postponed/cancelled.  I'll be watching for any of these scenarios and keep this post updated as needed. 

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 9am, depart by 9:30am.  Meet up spot will be on Beaver Creek just after entering the road: Map
  • Gas up beforehand in Camp Verde, 1 full tank should be plenty
  • Run an estimated 44.25 miles, travel time estimated 6-7 hours

Sign-Up:

1 - @Trail Toy Leading

2 - @Bradywgn71

3 - @Curly

4 - @We Just Go

5 - @Eugene

6 - @T and A

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.
Edited by Trail Toy

Please add us. Meet you at beaver creek since we now live off that road!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bradywgn71 said:

Please add us. Meet you at beaver creek since we now live off that road!

WOW!  That makes it very convenient for y'all. 😎

• Like 1

Add us please.  FYI, last time I was on the road to Cedar flat, it was horrible washboard. It got better once we got up on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curly said:

Add us please.  FYI, last time I was on the road to Cedar flat, it was horrible washboard. It got better once we got up on top.

Washboard roads suck, I know.  Airing down and driving a little fast always helps to smooth out the ride a little. 

driving jim carrey GIF

• Like 1

Please sign us up too. ✌🏻

• Like 2

Please add me to the list.

Mike

• Like 1

Gas is cheaper away from the freeway. Drive to Finnie flat road, turn left.
Circle K is right there and there is a Maverick across from the Basha's 1/2 mile away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Add us as well please. We definitely need this therapy 🙂

• Like 1