theksmith

Fall 2022: PRE-Planning Dusy Ershim near Shaver Lake, CA: 4x4 Difficult, Primitive Camping

microtus_Dusy%2520Ershim%25202007_DusyEr

This is a pre-planning/interest check thread for the Dusy Ershim Trail in the fall of 2022 (likely September). Expect 3 days on the trail, plus travel time to/from central California. This will be an Offroad Passport Club trip.

UPDATE: Based on first-hand reports of current conditions, this may be more difficult than many of the past videos/descriptions you can find on the internet. This is an extremely difficult trail at any time and only for highly-experienced drivers with well modified rigs!

About the Trail:

• An extreme but beautiful 4x4 trail, located near Shaver Lake, CA - smack dab in the middle-of-nowhere portion of the Sierra National Forest. 
  • Often compared to The Rubicon Trail - similar granite & pines terrain. Some say it's tougher than the Rubicon, others say it's just longer (30 miles instead of 19). It is higher elevation (9 to 10k feet), so there's an even shorter wheeling season of Aug 1 through Nov 1 (depending on snowpack).

Required:

• A highly modified high-clearance street-legal 4x4. Exact rig requirements will be posted when the final trip sign-up thread is posted, but know that at a minimum we're talking 35" tries, 2 lockers, and a winch along with a flexy lift and plenty of armor. Aftermarket or trimmed bumpers and flares, alloy axle shafts, and aftermarket drive-shafts are all highly recommended.
  • Rigs must be in tip-top mechanical condition!
  • A can-do attitude, tools & spare parts, basic repair knowledge, experience running 4.5+ (out of 5) rated trails!
  • Primitive camping equipment (i.e. tent, sleeping bag, meal prep stuff, etc.)
  • 4+ Gallons of fuel in a safe & securely mounted container (not on sides, this trail is tight!

Please reply to this thread if you're interested or have any info about the trail to share!

extra_large_be61644b18db7d37bdf707c3e5a9

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 1

i'll keep updating this post with informational links as i find them:

Good overview video:

Edited by theksmith
  • Love 1

Maybe ... I only have limited slip in front and back.

• Like 1

Johnpa is in

• Like 1

Also, when do you expect to have the date nailed down?

Best regards 

Im in, if it is in the second half of September.

• Like 2

My friend Matt posted to the Bullhead City 4x4 club about the Dusy, I thought I'd copy his info here. He goes every year, thinks this year will be his last.

I thought I would put this out to see if anyone would be interested in running the Dusy one last run of the grandest of them all trails. I know for me it will be the last run of this trail. “Getting old aint for pus”....(Raylan Givens).......and well Dusy aint as well...

This trail is harder then Rubicon by far today. Its longer and  harder sections as well and no bypasses here . It will take 4 days to run 33 miles of rocks.

Trail I would say today is rated 4.5ish on T Hill, its not easy and long climb.  So damage to body and sole...35s Min locked. I would recommend 37s here and a winch. There is many street miles do run this loop. from shaver lake its 33 miles of steep paved to start. 33 miles of trail. then 33 miles back to shaver from the other side of the mountain. so 100 miles end to end. My jeep is on fumes by time its back on the trailer.

Good parking for towing. The camping areas are all on or near lakes, but they will be very low these days. Trail is around 9,000-10,000 feet. High country.

If anyone is interested send me a note.

we can run this trail from aug through oct.   though latter it gets cold up there, this year its so hot maybe that is good thing?

Edited by theksmith
  • Thanks 1

Please mark me as tentative/curious. I think I'll def need to upgrade my slider/rocker protection.

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1