shellback91

Spare Tire Carrier Weight Limits

I have questions regarding the stock spare tire carrier and it's weight limit.  I have read conflicting information so this is as clear as mud to me.  In one place I read that the carrier is limited to 85 lbs.  In the owners manual is says "If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 50 lbs".  Does the phrase "aftermarket accessories" refer to junk your are hanging off the spare tire or does it mean the tire and wheel cannot weigh more than 50 lbs? My tire weighs 55 lbs plus and wheel weighs approximately +/- 22lbs. Stock wheel and tires weigh an average of approximately 60ish lbs give or take depending on model.

Any help is appreciated.

I found that tire carrier too and may try and sneak that purchase in. Although, after my recent spending spree I may have to wait a bit.

• Like 1

i'm no help with specific weight limits, but i've always heard that the factory tire carrier is fine with around 33's or even larger for street-only rigs. however, some people have experienced problems with the extra weight of even a 32" tire and the vibrations from extended offroad use causing certain welds in the tailgate to fail.

replacing the hinges with something that has a brace/support all the way out to the carrier is what prevents the failed welds. the actual OEM spare tire mount/carrier (the cone shaped metal thing) is pretty robust. however, often you need to extend the tire out or up depending on its size and wheel backspacing, so many people just buy a new adjustable carrier when getting a replacement support/hinge instead of using an adapter on that factory mount.

i upgraded to the Teraflex support/hinges & carrier early on and have been happy. i think nearly any of the major brands' upgrades would work just fine. i see a lot of people opt for the Smittybilt one based on its price/construction seeming to be a good balance. it's pretty much a copy of the Teraflex/Mopar upgrade and for around $450 it's a very complete kit including a 3rd brake light extension.

regardless of the exact setup, it's really important to make sure the tire is pressed against something to reduce it's "wiggle". often the factory rubber bumpers no longer reach the tire when using an extension/lift adapter on the OEM carrier. if that's the case, be sure to fabricate a way to extend them or buy longer ones like these from Energy Suspension.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:54 AM, theksmith said:

i'm no help with specific weight limits, but i've always heard that the factory tire carrier is fine with around 33's or even larger for street-only rigs. however, some people have experienced problems with the extra weight of even a 32" tire and the vibrations from extended offroad use causing certain welds in the tailgate to fail.

replacing the hinges with something that has a brace/support all the way out to the carrier is what prevents the failed welds. the actual OEM spare tire mount/carrier (the cone shaped metal thing) is pretty robust. however, often you need to extend the tire out or up depending on its size and wheel backspacing, so many people just buy a new adjustable carrier when getting a replacement support/hinge instead of using an adapter on that factory mount.

i upgraded to the Teraflex support/hinges & carrier early on and have been happy. i think nearly any of the major brands' upgrades would work just fine. i see a lot of people opt for the Smittybilt one based on its price/construction seeming to be a good balance. it's pretty much a copy of the Teraflex/Mopar upgrade and for around $450 it's a very complete kit including a 3rd brake light extension.

regardless of the exact setup, it's really important to make sure the tire is pressed against something to reduce it's "wiggle". often the factory rubber bumpers no longer reach the tire when using an extension/lift adapter on the OEM carrier. if that's the case, be sure to fabricate a way to extend them or buy longer ones like these from Energy Suspension.

Thanks!  My 33" tire fits nice and snug up against the bumpers, they are compressed a little and there is no wiggle. I am still on stock wheels and will not be coming off of those at any time. 

I am adding some temporary weight(about 25 lbs) to the tailgate when wheeling on longer trips. I am wondering where to start this process. I am going to have to do anything I decide to do in phases so I may start with the hinges?  I like the MORryde set up because it is modular. The OEM tire bracket works with the MORryde reenforcement, however, if i upgrade that I may have to upgrade tire bumpers.  I swear it never ends! 🤣

Edited by shellback91

3 hours ago, Trail Toy said:

I'm replacing my spare tire carrier and tailgate hinges.  Ordered MORryde's carrier and hinges from Amazon, after tax and free shipping it was $315.74.  I opted to not buy the tailgate reinforcement, to me it's just overkill and didn't want to spend the money considering I don't plan on hanging anything other than my spare.  I was going to buy Metal Cloak's set up but that'll run $750!  The following links show these products on Amazon.

My opinion is it will be better to have a stronger carrier and hinges just to make sure there's no issues.  I always say "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". 😎

When do you plan on installing these?  I am curious to know how the hinges go.  It looks straight forward: pull one off, replace it, rinse and repeat.  Some folks say wood block the tailgate, some don't.  My guess is if you do them one at a time it should work.

8 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

One at a time is what I am doing but I do plan on using duct tape to hold everything in place just to make sure.  When I was looking at Metal Cloak's kit the instructions talk about using duct tape as well as something like wood blocks, etc.  The spare and carrier will be off so there won't be as much weight on the gate itself so a few strips of duct tape and replacing 1 hing at a time should be fine.  My new hinges and carrier will be here next week on Monday so I figure Tuesday morning I'll be in the garage getting this done, I'll let you know how everything goes.  If you have free time and would like to watch you're more than welcome to come over, I live about 2 miles from @4x4tographer

Cool beans. I appreciate the offer but can't make it up there so I will look forward to hearing how it goes.

Edited by shellback91