Trail Toy

Buckskin Mtn. State Park 3/24/22-3/27/22 Camping/RV/Hotel/Motel

About this same time 2021 the family and I went camping at Buckskin Mtn. State Park and I'm telling you this is a beautiful camp ground and surrounding areas.  The camp ground has hook ups for water/electricity and bathrooms with flushing toilets and showers.  There is a section without hook ups for tent camping only, we chose a spot with hook ups (and are doing so again for 2022) even though we slept in a tent.  We visited Parker Dam, attempted to run Buckskin Mountain trail to a portion of Grey Eagle Mine trail and then Cienega Springs road (easy to moderate) but didn't make it because of a transfer case shifting issue.  We also went up to Bill Williams river/peninsula and did some fishing for about 6 hours.  The twins each caught a couple fish, I caught about 6-8 and Sarah caught one at the end of the day, all were small striped bass between 10"-12".  There was a lot more to see but not enough time to do so.  We've already made our reservation at the state park, there are plenty of other camp grounds, RV parks, hotels, etc. in that area that can be utilized.

BUCKSKIN MTN. STATE PARK WEBSITE

The run I'll be leading will be on Saturday starting on Buckskin Mtn. Trail then connect to Grey Eagle Mine then Billy Mack Wash then another small section of Grey Eagle Mine and finally to Cienega Springs Rd.  There is a small section along side Cienega Springs (0.6 miles long) called 3 Slabs that is rated moderate-difficult (4-5) that can be included or not on this run, something that can be discussed, maybe make it a drivers choice?  This run would be a little over 12 miles total and out near the midway point is a desert bar known as "Nellie Saloon", only open weekends, cash only and a good spot to stop for lunch.

• Technical Rating: 1-4 (Easy to moderate) for most of the run, 4-5 (Moderate to difficult) for 3 Slabs
  • More info/pics here: trailsoffroad.com

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be Saturday at 9am, depart by 9:30am.  Meet up spot will be just off Highway 95 next to River Island Market if there are folks staying at locations other than Buckskin.  If everyone attending is staying at Buckskin we'll skip the meet up spot and head out straight from the park, it's only 1 mile from Buckskin: Map
  • Gas up beforehand, there is a gas station at River Island Market, 1 full tank should be plenty
  • Run an estimated 12.5 miles, travel time is hard to say as I don't know how long we'll stop for lunch, maybe 4-5 hours?

Sign-Up:

1 - @Trail Toy  Buckskin

2 - @Large_Marge  Buckskin

3 - @gearhead Camping maybe? Possibly attending the run only

4 - @Bradywgn71  Buckskin

5 - @We Just Go  Buckskin

6 - @Stacey and Scott  Buckskin

7 - @AZRNintheJeep242  Parker?

8 - @4x4tographer & @Yodamom River Island

9 -  @Christopher  Buckskin

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.  There is no rig limit at this time.

Look for this sign at the meet up spot.

meetupsign.thumb.jpg.bbe9776160159b16d7f56aeda1a9fdf1.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

Sign me up....thnx!

• Like 1

Please sign us up

• Like 1

We're down for this! Please add us to the list. ✌🏻

• Like 1

Managed to get the last big enough site available. Too bad they didn't have the full week but we'll make it work.  Site 055.

Question on the meetup. We can't check in until 2pm on Thursday at the park. So we will miss that first day of wheeling as I don't want to leave the RV somewhere random.  We will see you at the park when you get there.  I am hunting for a park prior to buckskin reservation in the area so this may change for us 

Edited by Bradywgn71
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

We have our reservation made Thurs to Sun at Buckskin. Only couple spots available per their site. Site 14

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradywgn71 said:

Managed to get the last big enough site available. Too bad they didn't have the full week but we'll make it work.  Site 055.

Question on the meetup. We can't check in until 2pm on Thursday at the park. So we will miss that first day of wheeling as I don't want to leave the RV somewhere random.  We will see you at the park when you get there.  I am hunting for a park prior to buckskin reservation in the area so this may change for us 

The run is on Saturday so the meet up time, etc., is the itinerary for Saturday.  Thursday will be just a set up camp, hang out and chill day.  Friday will be for some sightseeing, fishing, etc., but not everyone has to do what we're doing but obviously you're welcome tag along.  Of course things could change except Saturdays run, the run is the only thing I have "set in stone" so to speak. 😎

• Like 1

FYI, as I'm typing this post there's only one spot with hook ups left at Buckskin, space #16 next to us, we're in #15.  @Stacey and Scott & @gearhead have y'all reserved a spot/staying at Buckskin?  There's another campground/RV park nearby, River Island State Park (1.3 miles from Buckskin) has 9 spots open.  You could also stay in Parker (11 miles from Buckskin), they have a Hampton Inn, Best Western, Stardust Motel, Quality Inn, Budget Inn plus a couple/few other places.

There are a bunch of tent spaces with no hook ups (69-84) at Buckskin that show up as unavailable, this is because they are on a first come first served basis.  On our last trip we noticed only a handful of tent campers, lots of spaces not being used. 

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Thanks 1