Trail Toy

11/6/21 Schnebly Hill Rd. Near Sedona - Moderate

welcome @Cdub!

I would like to go as well

• Like 2

Heads up folks!  There are closures both north and south bound on the I-17 this weekend!  See the link for details.  Looks like it'll only affect coming home after the run.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/2fa87c0?fbclid=IwAR2Ho5lwGWSP7Lf0bZ_hUfumn-mrQCGjKPUXVY2H6g7fLCQX063zPxGZ0V4

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

New River Road could be a decent alternate to the posted detour.

• Like 2

Hello everyone! My name is Deli. I love the outdoors and my Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is also owned by my shepherd Diesel. Sweetest big boy :)I just signed up and cant wait to get on a trail with you all! 

Will I be able to join in on this one? I currently have an FCC registration number and would like to start the licensing for GMRS. Wanted to run it by you all.. the price is currently $70. Is this the norm? A you tube video stated it can get down to 35. No worries if not, I just want to be sure I can get it in time for this trip. Any recommendations on a good radio off Amazon? I have Prime lol. Eventually I may get into Ham. Already started practicing for the test.

Looking forward to being a part of this great community and meeting other fellow off-road adventurers!  :)

Thanks! -Deli

Edited by d3lbort
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d3lbort said:

Hello everyone! My name is Deli. I love the outdoors and my Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is also owned by my shepherd Diesel. Sweetest big boy :)I just signed up and cant wait to get on a trail with you all! 

Will I be able to join in on this one? I currently have an FCC registration number and would like to start the licensing for GMRS. Wanted to run it by you all.. the price is currently $70. Is this the norm? A you tube video stated it can get down to 35. No worries if not, I just want to be sure I can get it in time for this trip. Any recommendations on a good radio off Amazon? I have Prime lol. Eventually I may get into Ham. Already started practicing for the test.

Looking forward to being a part of this great community and meeting other fellow off-road adventurers!  :)

Thanks! -Deli

Midland makes great GMRS radios. the nicer hand-held ones will work fine for most runs with a small group. however, you can get significantly better range with a hard-mount unit and a small external antenna - which could come in handy in an emergency situation.

i personally like this style where the controls are in the hand and you can mount the rest of the electronics hidden nearly anywhere.

a lot of us also have the very inexpensive Baofeng UV-xx handhelds. those are technically licensed as amateur (HAM) radios and not for GMRS, but they do work on GMRS frequencies. you have to program them though with the channel names yourself to make them easier to use with GMRS.

oh and yes, the GMRS license supposedly will come down to $35 at some point, but i think there's some BS congressional reason it hasn't happened yet - so for now it's still $70. but that does cover your whole family and i think it's good for 10 years?

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, d3lbort said:

I currently have an FCC registration number and would like to start the licensing for GMRS. Wanted to run it by you all.. the price is currently $70. Is this the norm? A you tube video stated it can get down to 35. No worries if not, I just want to be sure I can get it in time for this trip. Any recommendations on a good radio off Amazon? I have Prime lol. Eventually I may get into Ham. Already started practicing for the test.

Welcome to the ORP fam! Some good information in this thread and this thread about GMRS.

20 minutes ago, theksmith said:

oh and yes, the GMRS license supposedly will come down to $35 at some point, but i think there's some BS congressional reason it hasn't happened yet - so for now it's still $70. but that does cover your whole family and i think it's good for 10 years?

Yup! 10 years.

Edited by 4x4tographer
  • Like 1

Welcome Deli, looking forward to meeting you on Saturday's run. Same story here with GMRS pretty much..... We purchased the Midland MXT105 MicroMobile for roughly $100 from Midland, we both have mounts in our Jeeps so we can switch the base unit depending on which Jeep we take, until we buy a 2nd and hardwire both in. Downside being that you can't use away from a vehicle as you would with handhelds. But it works great, so far no issues. We held out for the $35 FCC fee that was supposed to change back in April or May of this year, but it never happened. Just fill out forms, pay and they will email you your license and call sign. Over all $70 for a license to use which your entire family can use for 10 years isn't bad considering no exams to take. We also run with CB units because while living in Wyoming we discovered that's all most use up in that area. Now back here in AZ we never use them. 🤷‍♂️ 

See ya on trail!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and applied for the license. Fingers crossed it gets processed in time for the trail run. Worst case I'll just listen in to everyone if that is ok. After reading your thoughts I decided to purchase a cheap handheld one for now to give me more time to explore all these great options! Unfortunately work held me up today and I forgot to order one on Amazon in time to get here. Guess I'll hit up my local Walmart or Best Buy tomorrow

• Like 2