Trail Toy

12/11/21 Bloody Basin/Antelope Creek/Crown King/Turkey Creek/Maggie Mine - Easy to Moderate

Please join us for another fun day on the trails, this run will use 5 trails all connected to make for a 33 mile trip.   We'll start on Bloody Basin Rd., then to Antelope Creek Rd., then to Crown King Rd., then to Turkey Creek Trail, then to Crown King Rd. again and finally to Maggie Mine Rd.  Turkey Creek and Maggie Mine are the only trails rated as moderate, everything else is easy.  This run will end in the northern area of Black Canyon City.

We'll stop for a bit in Cleator before continuing south on Turkey Creek.  They have a bar and general store, there should be lots of scenic views along the trails as well.

Please note this run is not a loop, it's a straight through utilizing 5 trails that are connected to each other.

This run is subject to cancellation/postponement due to weather, fires and/or closures, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • Permit required: LINK

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 10am, depart by 10:30am.  Meet up spot will be a dirt lot off of Bloody Basin Rd. & I-17: Map
  • Gas up beforehand, there is a Chevron & Pilot about 3.1 miles north of the meet up spot in Cordes Lakes, 1 full tank should be plenty: Map
  • Run an estimated 33 miles, travel time estimated 5-6 hours

Sign-Up:

1 - @Trail Toy Confirmed

2 - @WILL E Confirmed

3 - @Ken Ford Confirmed

4 - @ZR2-Ben Confirmed

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.  There is no rig limit at this time.

Look for this sign at the meet up spot.

meetupsign.thumb.jpg.3058f3203a82f79a164be002c68f5f65.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Thanks 1

FYI, just to get from the I-17 to Cleator to run Turkey Creek Trail and then come straight out to the nearest entrance on the I-17 (Bumblee Rd) is a pretty full day, especially if starting at 10am.

Turkey Creek Trail was a strong moderate in a few spots the last time we ran it, of course it could have gotten easier or more difficult after all those recent heavy storms.

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know there's one section on Turkey Creek that's a little sketchy but it does have a bypass.

Sketchy spot (looks hella fun though) with a bypass.

IMG_0038.jpeg.c450627e3ac78fb63317304ae5af05bd.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg.8c340b3d14ec2d52964f4c902cd3672c.jpeg

One thing I forgot to mention, since I'm running this trail from north to south this sketchy section pictured in my last post, we'll be going the opposite direction from what you see.  After watching the video on trailsoffroad.com that sketchy section isn't as bad as it looks plus since we'll be going up it instead of down it's not as intimidating.  Going up you can see where you're going vs. going down it's harder to see where you're going.  I'm really looking forward to this run!

Fuck Yeah Yes GIF

Edited by Trail Toy

Add me as well.

• Like 1

Looks like you are full. If not, add me or if you have a waitlist add me to that. 

thx

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Bjparsons said:

Looks like you are full. If not, add me or if you have a waitlist add me to that. 

thx

Not full and I try not to set rig limits . 😎

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

This looks like fun!  Sign me up.  I'll bring the cheese crisps!

• Like 1