Trail Toy

1/29/22 Poland Rd./Big Bug Mesa/Senator Hwy - Easy to Moderate - Near Prescott

10 hours ago, Sparky 01 said:

Please add me to the list for this run

Already added you! 😎

we would like to join you - hope no one minds if we bring our dog;215052925_IMG_20220111_162716(2).thumb.jpg.0bb15427c53cb90d04197439586c80ee.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Anderson said:

we would like to join you - hope no one minds if we bring our dog;215052925_IMG_20220111_162716(2).thumb.jpg.0bb15427c53cb90d04197439586c80ee.jpg

Your dog is more than welcome! 😎  We met him on my Bulldog Canyon run a couple weeks ago.

I'd be interested, but don't have a radio.  I was looking at some on Amazon, but does anyone have any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, BillsCarnage said:

I'd be interested, but don't have a radio.  I was looking at some on Amazon, but does anyone have any suggestions?

The UV-5R you linked too is an extremely popular ham radio - Many in the club have that unit (myself included).

If you're interested in talking on GMRS, you technically shouldn't with the Baofeng's (for legal reasons). There was also supposed to be a regulatory change to prevent the sale of GMRS capable Baofeng's in the USA (sometime in 2021). I don't know if that has happened yet though.

The good news is, Baofengs (ham) and many handheld GMRS radios are pretty cheap. I ended up with a pair of cheap Baofengs and a dedicated GMRS radio.

We've got a lot of great information here regarding licenses, radios types, etc... (including info on the Baofengs and their ability to transmit on both ham and GMRS). There's another good discussion thread on radios here as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BillsCarnage said:

I've got a pair of Midland GMRS walkie talkies, you could barrow one if you're able go, right now I'm at my limit for this run, I'll add you on stand by.  If anyone drops out you'll take their spot. 👍

47 minutes ago, BillsCarnage said:

I'd recommend staying away from the Baofengs, myself and another member of ORP had issues with the volume control not working and mine was less than a year old with not very much use.  Also, as @4x4tographer mentioned there have been changes made, the newer ham radios are being manufactured with frequency restrictions.  Last month a member going on one of my runs just bought a new Baofeng UV-5R and he wasn't able to talk, he could listen but couldn't actually talk/broadcast.  We thought something was wrong (i.e. manufacture defect) but later he learned from a friend that his new radio had built in frequency restrictions that prevented him from talking/broadcasting, he could only listen. 😬

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trail Toy said:

I've got a pair of Midland GMRS walkie talkies, you could barrow one if you're able go, right now I'm at my limit for this run, I'll add you on stand by.  If anyone drops out you'll take their spot. 👍

I have a pair of Midland walkie talkies, I was just figuring "radio" was meaning something more complex.

Thanks

• Like 1