Sign in to follow this  
WILL E

Sat: Oct 2nd Bulldog Canyon "Short and Easy" run

Newbie here to the board.  I run this trail a lot since it is very close to town (out by Saguaro lake), can be done in a relatively short period of time, is fun and very scenic.   What's not to like? 

There are several options in the Bulldog Canyon area but since it is still getting warm in the afternoons this will be 'the short run'.    We'll start in around 10am and be out around 1pm or sooner depending on how long we stop and chat and if we decide to have lunch in the shade. 

A permit is required, it's $6, lasts 6 months and is specific to the Bulldog Canyon area:  https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/3332401

We will head in the FR3554 entrance off of Usery Pass and exit out FR10 at the Bush Highway. 

• Technical Rating: 2-3 (easy).  We are running the easiest part of Bulldog canyon. It's not a graded dirt road but there are no difficult obstacles either.   One hill with an easy and more difficult side.   A stock Wrangler or similar stock rig will have no problems.   A skilled driver could run this in an Outback. 

REQUIREMENTS:

• A stock clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front OR rear recovery point (trailer hitch is fine), stock tires.  
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • $6 permit per vehicle.  Each OPERATOR must have a permit, families can share a permit
  • This is a great trail for people with little to no experience. 

Radios:  Not required.   Ham on 462.700, CB or FRS all work for me.   Trail finding is super easy and it's a short trail so I won't panic if someone doesn't have a radio.  I have a spare so I can make sure the lead and tail rigs both have radios. 

Itinerary:

Meet up time will be 10am at fr3554 trail head off of Usery Pass.   We'll air down (optional) and chat a bit. 

We'll stop at least twice to enjoy the view and chat.  I'll make some cheese crisps for anyone interested in a snack if we stop for lunch. 

At FR10 we head North to Bush Highway exit.  (Optional: If the weather is not too bad I sometimes just turn around at Bush and go back the way we came in)

The trail is about 7 or 8 miles long. 

Bring the kids, the pets, Grandma.   

Bring something for lunch.  If the weather is nice we'll stop for about an hour for lunch under the shade of some mesquite trees.

3554 trail head:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/West+Gate+to+Bulldog+Canyon+OHV+Area/@33.5026963,-111.6133648,15.5z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x872bbb81761e8ac7:0xc24136abcb51c998!2sUsery+Pass+Rd,+Mesa,+AZ+85207!3b1!8m2!3d33.5240835!4d-111.61566!3m4!1s0x872bbba068b5c437:0xe103b51b92f8ed81!8m2!3d33.5047988!4d-111.6172384

Signed Up:

WILL: 83' Cherokee

Stacey and Scott:  '17 JKU

Trail Toy:  Toyota 

KtroubleA: '20 JKU

Ken: TJ

Edited by WILL E
updating attendee list
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure, why not. Put us on the list!

• Like 2

great short easy trail - i'll be out of town or i'd join you, thanks for posting!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 12:48 PM, Stacey and Scott said:

Sure, why not. Put us on the list!

Sounds good!  I am trying to figure out how to update the first post.  Once I do I will create an attendee's list. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Trail Toy said:

We'd love to tag along.  I'll be leading a run on part of this trail in Nov. and this will give me a little bit of a pre-run/preview of what to expect.

You bet.  I can show you the best lunch spots!  I would love to join your outing but have plans for that weekend.  

So far:

Trail Toy:  Maybe a Jeep, maybe a Toyota!

• Like 1

I’ll drag my daughter. She needs to start coming out more!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, KtroubleA said:

I’ll drag my daughter. She needs to start coming out more!

Nice!

So far

Just signed up with Off Road Passport.

Please add me to the list.

I went ahead and bought my permit per your instructions.

Thanks Ken F

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ken Ford said:

Just signed up with Off Road Passport.

Please add me to the list.

I went ahead and bought my permit per your instructions.

Thanks Ken F

You're in!

So far

Ken: TJ

• Like 2

I joined as a 'Club Member'.  I can now edit the original post and will do so to keep track of the attendees. 

Also, I usually park 'inside' the gate instead of the parking lot.   This has several advantages. 

• Like 3