GRUNT

Mobile Apps (Creating/Development)

I am looking at creating/using a mobile app for myself and my fellow firefighters. Does anyone have any resources they have used, whether developers or an app builder? I have looked at some app builders that have Plug & Play options but they require you to host with them, usually with hefty monthly fees.

• I have tinkered with websites before but not apps, I am not familiar with the backend stuff. I am uncertain if I can, but if I could buy a template, or have the initial app created, I would like to try to update/maintain it myself.
  • I have server space on GoDaddy and can host my own app. Heck, If someone recommends a developer that also hosts, as long as it is not as expensive as my Cox Cable bill as this is coming out of my own pocket, I will entertain that option. 
  • I just need something very basic, like to post news and send push notifications.

If you have any ideas or advice based on something you have done, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!!!!

BTW: Weather is cooling off. My Jeep, without A/C, is anxious to get out on the trail.

• Like 2

I would recommend Kristopher. I hear he is pretty good at coding.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, johnpa said:

I would recommend Kristopher. I hear he is pretty good at coding.

You sure about @theksmith? I heard he was a Luddite.

• Haha 2

No, I once saw him create hello world in C#

• Haha 2

wanting to build "an app" is like saying you want to build "a vehicle"! a Tesla, a Freightliner semi, and a Ducati are all vehicles but don't really have anything else in common, including how they are built or who works on them.

so what kind of app do you need... what will it do? could it just be a website or does it really need to be an app? do you want it to run on iOS or Android or both? tablets and/or phones? does it have specific device requirements like Bluetooth, etc.? does it work offline or need to be online to function? are there individual users/logins? is it free, a one-time cost, or an ongoing subscription? the devil's in the details.

note that some apps don't even have a need for a server backend at all (i.e. hosting), others may have very complex server-side code and hosting requirements with very little code in the actual on-device app. you mention posting news and sending notifications, so you probably do need some sort of server/hosting side to your particular app, but if it's just a bulletin board, then again - why not just a website? 

Edited by theksmith

On 9/25/2021 at 6:02 AM, theksmith said:

wanting to build "an app" is like saying you want to build "a vehicle"! a Tesla, a Freightliner semi, and a Ducati are all vehicles but don't really have anything else in common, including how they are built or who works on them.

so what kind of app do you need... what will it do? could it just be a website or does it really need to be an app? do you want it to run on iOS or Android or both? tablets and/or phones? does it have specific device requirements like Bluetooth, etc.? does it work offline or need to be online to function? are there individual users/logins? is it free, a one-time cost, or an ongoing subscription? the devil's in the details.

note that some apps don't even have a need for a server backend at all (i.e. hosting), others may have very complex server-side code and hosting requirements with very little code in the actual on-device app. you mention posting news and sending notifications, so you probably do need some sort of server/hosting side to your particular app, but if it's just a bulletin board, then again - why not just a website? 

I understand it was a bit vague. My apologies. I am looking to build an app that:

• has a main intent to relay information/communication to our members.
  • has pages I can update, perhaps a calendar, social media and RSS feeds from other sources
  • is android & ios
  • ideally, each individual has a login & password. Why this?  I understand anyone has the ability to download the app from the apple/play stores, so I need to control who has access by controlling who can utilize it. There would be nothing classified so to speak, but just trying to keep meeting notes and internal discussions(should we have a commenting feature) to ourselves

I currently have switched from a standard PHP website which I designed before to a WordPress site because I saw a plugin that would convert it to an app. (side note: WordPress is easy to use but I get about 40 attempts a day to hack it and spammed more than possible in a lifetime) I came to find out that the WordPress conversion app would not have access restrictions because the WordPress site is not fully locked down to begin with. The external site(WordPress) is intended to allow the public to see what we do, with only some of the pages restricted to my fellow firefighters. Mostly, because my people don't check or update personal emails and may miss texts,

Ultimately, I would like an app so I have the ability to send Push Notifications to everyone's phones. That way they cannot say they did not receive an particular notices. Short, fast, and easy.

I have server space under my GoDaddy account.

I have found companies that create what I am looking for but they either charge an unsustainable amount for hosting their product as it is on their server, or they have a tolerable monthly fee and charge a liver and kidney to create their standard app which has way more functionality than I would ever need. I understand business and do not fault them on their practices, I just have to be concerned over cost because this is out of my own pocket.

Edited by GRUNT
  • Like 1

I learned something today, not sure what I learned but I'm way more educated on...blah, blah, blah "dog bone" 🤣

• Haha 2