ob1jeeper

The Ozark's, Smoky's, & other "Points East"

Departing in the morning with my nephew, for a couple of weeks (+/-) of two-wheeled "wind therapy", where we will be riding & visiting with fellow riding enthusiasts at a couple vintage m/cycling events we plan on visiting along the way.   ;)

• Like 5

Safe travels Steve.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Safe travels Steve!!! Have fun...

• Like 1

Queue buttercup song ;)

• Haha 3

Been home about two weeks...   Attached are a few pics of our ride... ;)

First stop @ the VLA (very large array), which is a radio telescope which wa the largest in th northern hemisphere until about 8-12 years ago.   Some of you may recongnize it as being the backdrop for the movie "Contact" starring jodie Foster.   It is located on US 60 on the St. Augustine Plains, about 60 miles west of Socorro, NM.

IMG_8920.JPG

It was cold and raining from just shy of Payson, to Show Low, then a short break as we neared Spingervillee, then mostly rained the remainder of the way to Socorro, but the rain mostly stopped for us to get a few pics @ the VLA... ;)

IMG_8921.JPG

This is a view looking north over the Ozark Mtn's, from Mt Magazine State Park near Talahina, OK

IMG_8933.JPG

Here we are riding the Peel, Arkansas Ferry which crosses an arm of Bull Shoals Lake on the Missouri/Arkansas border.

IMG_8938.JPG

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 1

We were rained out of going as far east (The Smokies of Tennesee & N. Carolina, as well as getting to the motorcycle museum in Birmingham, Alabama) as we had hoped due to flash flooding and heavy storm warnings in the areas we had hoped to visit, so after a few days of riding the Ozarks, it began to rain again there too, so we headed homeward...   Here we are re-entering NM, just south of Antonito, CO.

IMG_8948.JPG

Next up was ride through Los Alamos National Laboratory, where upon exiting, we came across the 2nd largest Caldera in North America (the largest is in Yellowstone National Park)

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

All in all it was a GREAT ride, and fun to open time with my nephew who lives in California...   Hope to be able to get all the way on our next trip... ;)

Edited by ob1jeeper
  • Like 2

welcome back!

nice photo of the Ozarks - reminds me a lot of the Blue Ridge Mountains where i grew up.

Neat photos Ob!! Glad you got out there for some hiway time!!