Trail Toy

2/12/22 Verde River Picnic & Fishing Run - Camp Creek to Verde River Rec Site/Needle Rock - Moderate

Close to Phoenix and fun! This offroad trail follows the Camp Creek Wash to the Needle Rock Recreation Area on the Verde River. As you progress down the sandy trail, the wash narrows, and cliffs rise above you into a narrow canyon. There are many opportunities to stop and explore by foot or rest for lunch under the towering cliffs. When you reach the end of the trail, you will enter the Needle Rock Recreation Area, a popular swimming hole in the summer. There are plenty of opportunities for fishing, kayaking, or just enjoying the beautiful riparian scenery.

Please join us for a day of relaxing picnicking and fishing after a short run on a scenic trail.  We'll start at the north end of Camp Creek and head south to the Verde River Rec Site/Needle Rock.  This trail is mostly easy, the moderate (3) rating is because of the soft deep sand.  Once we reach the river we'll picnic and fish or if you wish you can head out from that point.

A PERMIT IS REQUIRED IF YOU PLAN ON STAYING FOR PICNICKING/FISHING.  YOU DO NOT NEED A PERMIT TO RUN THE TRAIL.  A DAILY USE PASS CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE SITE OR AT A RETAILER AHEAD OF TIME.  IF YOU HAVE AN "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL" PASS YOU DON'T NEED TO PURCHASE A DAILY USE PASS.

This run is subject to cancellation/postponement due to weather, fires and/or closures, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • Day use pass or America The Beautiful pass

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 10am, depart by 10:30am.  Meet up spot will be a dirt lot at the beginning of FR 413 (Camp Creek) off of Bartlett Dam Rd. Map
  • Gas up beforehand, closest station is a Shell about 9.3 miles from the meet up, 1 full tank should be plenty: Map
  • Run an estimated 10.77 miles, travel time estimated 1-2 hours

Sign-Up:

1 - @Trail Toy

2 - @Large_Marge

3 - @Christopher

4 - @mbuckner

5 - @Ken Ford

6 - @d3lbort

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.  There is no rig limit at this time.

Look for this sign at the meet up spot.

meetupsign.thumb.jpg.78839718be94474ca0a5598af09b4353.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy

We're in for this

• Like 1

Please add me to the attendee list. 

Mike

• Like 1

You're in and I gave you my spot for the Hieroglyphic Mtn. Loop run as it turns out I can't make it.

Please sign me up!

• Like 1

Me too!!

• Like 1