WILL E

Bulldog 10/23/2021 Another short and easy run (East Valley by Saguaro Lake)

I wasn't kidding when I said I run this trail a lot.   Close to home, fun, scenic and it doesn't take up the entire day.    A great way to enjoy a bit of Jeeping and getting seat time. 

There are several options in the Bulldog Canyon area this will be 'the short run'.    We'll start in around 10am and be out around 1pm or sooner depending on how long we stop and chat and if we decide to have lunch in the shade. 

A permit is required, it's $6, lasts 6 months and is specific to the Bulldog Canyon area:  https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/3332401

We will head in the FR3554 entrance off of Usery Pass and exit out FR10 at the Bush Highway. 

• Technical Rating: 2-3 (easy).  We are running the easiest part of Bulldog canyon. It's not a graded dirt road but there are no difficult obstacles either.   One hill with an easy and more difficult side.   A stock Wrangler or similar stock rig will have no problems.    

REQUIREMENTS:

• A stock clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front OR rear recovery point (trailer hitch is fine), stock tires.  
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • $6 permit per vehicle.  Each OPERATOR must have a permit, families can share a permit
  • This is a great trail for people with little to no experience. 
  • Everyone must stay on the designated trails 

Radios:  Not required.   Ham on 462.700, CB or FRS all work for me.   Trail finding is super easy and it's a short trail so I won't panic if someone doesn't have a radio.  I have a spare so I can make sure the lead and tail rigs both have radios. 

Itinerary:

Meet up time will be 10am at fr3554 trail head off of Usery Pass.   We'll air down (optional) and chat a bit. 

We'll stop at least twice to enjoy the view and chat.  I'll make some cheese crisps for anyone interested in a snack if we stop for lunch. 

At FR10 we head North to Bush Highway exit.  (Optional: If the weather is not too bad I sometimes just turn around at Bush and go back the way we came in)

The trail is about 7 or 8 miles long. 

Bring the kids, the pets, the grand parents.   

Bring something for lunch.  If the weather is nice we'll stop for about an hour for lunch under the shade of some mesquite trees.

3554 trail head:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/West+Gate+to+Bulldog+Canyon+OHV+Area/@33.5026963,-111.6133648,15.5z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x872bbb81761e8ac7:0xc24136abcb51c998!2sUsery+Pass+Rd,+Mesa,+AZ+85207!3b1!8m2!3d33.5240835!4d-111.61566!3m4!1s0x872bbba068b5c437:0xe103b51b92f8ed81!8m2!3d33.5047988!4d-111.6172384

Signed Up:

WILL E.  (1)  Old school Cherokee.

MADDOG (?)  Good looking modified JL. 

Edited by WILL E
  • Like 1

Unfortunately we can not make it. Really enjoyed the last time so we're a little on the disappointed side.

11 hours ago, Stacey and Scott said:

Unfortunately we can not make it. Really enjoyed the last time so we're a little on the disappointed side.

Yeah it was nice hanging with you guys too!  And I appreciate the tips Stacey gave me for dealing with my eyesight issue. 

But no worries, I run this trail every couple of three weeks when there is nothing else going on.   I figure why not take advantage of the weather and scenery during the nice months right? 

Take care. 

• Thanks 1

Just pushed this run out on the ORP Facebook group!

Also:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's awesome!

Can a total newbie join up?  I have exactly one offroad trip under my belt with the new JL.

07.thumb.jpg.b849496b73b3b481f67791f1db28e528.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MADDOG said:

Can a total newbie join up?  I have exactly one offroad trip under my belt with the new JL.

07.thumb.jpg.b849496b73b3b481f67791f1db28e528.jpg

This will be a great run for the new toy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

This will be a great run for the new toy

Thanks!

I read @WILL E description of the event and the trail thinking it might be a great ride to learn a bit more about getting out and about in the Jeep.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MADDOG said:

Thanks!

I read @WILL E description of the event and the trail thinking it might be a great ride to learn a bit more about getting out and about in the Jeep.

It's pretty much the perfect trail for getting out and about and learning a bit about the Jeep.  A bit of off  kilter here and there and one play hill which you can try several times.   A bit of sand, a bit of shelf roads and it's short with beautiful scenery too.    Are you in?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm In!

• Like 1