shellback91

Melted Headlight Adapter

Howdy Gang! Today I noticed my drivers side headlight was out so I set about repairing it. I have the KC HiLITESH4 headlights. After removing the headlight assembly I went to unplug the connector and found out it wanted a fight. I could not unplug the connector to the bulb. After a little closer inspection I notice the darn thing was melted to the prongs. 🤬 This is probably why it stopped working. A few minutes later, after busting the bulb all to pieces in the lamp assembly trying to get it loose, I decided to cut the wires. Last year I had these H13 to H4 Wiring adapters replaced after the passenger side adapter was giving me fits. I kept the old ones because I'm a hoarder of sorts. I used one of the old ones and a new bulb to get it working again.

Onto the point of this , my question is has anyone dealt with this type of thing?  Any recommendations on brands to use that won't melt? I did read this is common with some H4 bulbs so I may be SOL. LED's are out of my price range so I am not inclined to go that route. Stock Lamps suck but I could go back if this happens again. 

After cutting the wires and prying the 💩 outta the parts involved this is what it looked like. 😬

20211022_202604.thumb.jpg.fddc3cc88e9436bf95b426f325e58794.jpg

• Wow 1

This is common when dealing with hi temp lighting, stock connections are spec'd to a minimum tolerance as far as temp ratings. Easiest solution is to replace the plug with a industrial grade or, remote the plug itself 2 or 3 inches away from the light using a thermal (high temp) wire and use a high quality blade terminal (again hi temp) to land the wires at the light. The upside is the remote plug makes it a lot simpler the dis/connect the lights in the future and no more melting possibly shorting out of your lights  when you're tearing down a dark road.

• Like 4

you want one with a ceramic high-temp connector at the bulb, along the lines of these... - i don't know a specific brand, but that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks gents. I was told by the shop that sold me the replacements that the KC HiLITES adapters were crap. Passenger side would not completely seat so we replaced both. I will be purchasing me some ceramic based ones.  I am looking into the KC adapters to see if they are ceramic based too. They are proud of their adapters so they are a little more expensive than most.

• Like 2