Trail Toy

12/18/21 Box Canyon via Castle Hot Springs, Buckhorn Springs & Constellation Rd. near Wickenburg - Easy to Moderate

This run will encompass several connected trails to lead us to Box Canyon and will be approximately 44.5 miles one way.  Starting on Castle Hot Springs we'll take that to Buckhorn Springs, then continue on to Constellation Rd. all the way into Wickenburg.  Then we'll continue on through the dry Hassayampa River to Box Canyon.  After running Box Canyon out and back it's open game.

This run is subject to cancellation due to weather, fires and/or closures, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A high clearance 4x4 with a low range transfer case option, suitable front & rear recovery point, aggressive 30"+ or larger A/T or M/T tires.  Recommend aftermarket skid plates, rock rails and sway-bar disconnects
  • Ham radio on 462.700 Mhz 
  • GMRS channel 21 (462.700 Mhz)
  • Rigs & drivers must meet all the typical state/federal legal requirements for on-highway vehicles (license, insurance, registration, seat belts, lights, etc.)
  • Permit required: LINK

Itinerary:

• Meet up time will be 9am, depart by 9:30am.  Meet up spot will be a dirt lot off of N. Castle Hot Springs Rd. Map
  • Gas up beforehand, there are various places along the way to the meet up, 1 full tank should be plenty
  • Run an estimated 44.5 miles one way, travel time estimated 5-6 hours

Sign-Up:

1 - @Trail Toy 

2 - @Ken Ford

3 - @We Just Go

4 - @T and A

5 - @Christopher

6 - @Rawhyd

• Reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.  There is no rig limit at this time.

Look for this sign at the meet up spot.

meetupsign.thumb.jpg.1e811338f2c23f6743abcbb39bc0067e.jpg

Edited by Trail Toy
  • Like 1

Ken, as per your request I've added you to list. 😎

Working, though considering how much the hounds like playing in the water there...we can't let them see this post!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stacey and Scott said:

Working, though considering how much the hounds like playing in the water there...we can't let them see this post!

I think it'll be more than just the hounds wanting to play in the water! 🤣

Last time we were out there we got to watch four slightly tipsy old guys go head long, right down the middle of the box. They never stopped laughing about how one of their brother's was going to be pissed that they just swamped the motor on his new gator. Winched them out, one of them caught a ride back to the truck so he could get "The other one" to drag the dead one out. Wish I knew the outcome...

f84b5e3950221fe1c6eab61869bac33c.jpg

• Haha 2

Oh yeah....sign us up too. ✌️

• Like 1

Is this a group permit trail or individual permit requirement? 

• Like 1

Individual as in a permit per vehicle, every vehicle needs a state land trust permit, mine expires Dec. 22nd (next month).  I've had mine for about a year now and not once have I had to show it to anyone.  Of course now that I say that I'll get stopped and have to show it... 🤣

It's also my understanding this permit is mostly required if you stop/park on state land, I don't think you'll get pulled over while out running trails just for them to check if you have the permit.

Edited by Trail Toy

1 hour ago, Trail Toy said:

Individual, every vehicle needs a state land trust permit, mine expires Dec. 22nd (next month).  I've had mine for about a year now and not once have I had to show it to anyone.  Of course now that I say that I'll get stopped and have to show it... 🤣

It's also my understanding this permit is mostly required if you stop/park on state land, I don't think you'll get pulled over while out running trails just for them to check if you have the permit.

🤔 well being that "they" want to get us off-roading types off so much land these days we will play by the rules and aquire one. I saw this on Trails Off Road and it looked like you can get a group or individual. 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1